can someone clear up entry level contract question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Does a player on an entry level contract have to play 10 games before their contract kicks in? Or The team plays 10 games before in kicks in? Or just on the roster for 10 games before the contract starts? but not actually on the ice?

Thanks!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
player gets 9 games. once he plays his 10th. then the clock begins to tick on Year 1

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
player gets 9 games. once he plays his 10th. then the clock begins to tick on Year 1

So Zadarov can sit all season long in the press box and as long as he does not step on the ice for more then 9 games his contract does not start?

Seems like it does not sound right....

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
So Zadarov can sit all season long in the press box and as long as he does not step on the ice for more then 9 games his contract does not start?

that won't happen and my guess is they'll make a decision on him in the near future.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

That is technically accurate, however there is a second rule that does bring a drawback to keeping a player up. Players reach unrestricted free agency when they've either had 7 years of accrued service or reach the age of 27. Any player who is on the roster for 40 games, whether he plays in all or none of them, earns a year of accrued service. So if we kept Zadorov up as you described then we wouldn't burn a year off his ELC, but he would reach free agency a year earlier.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I realize that wont happen on the fact that it is a possibility for a team to do, hence the word "can".

well, yes, technically that can happen, but realistically it won't...so no need to fret. my guess both player and agent have expressed an unwillingness to return to junior, so they are looking for alternatives. The player in question just can't be loaned to a KHL team, London and Hockey Canada would have to sign the player transfer card...much like the situation Yakupov experienced during the lock-out season... he played a KHL game or 2 and then suddenly was told not to play until the player transfer card issues were worked out.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
well, yes, technically that can happen, but realistically it won't...so no need to fret. my guess both player and agent have expressed an unwillingness to return to junior, so they are looking for alternatives. The player in question just can't be loaned to a KHL team, London and Hockey Canada would have to sign the player transfer card...much like the situation Yakupov experienced during the lock-out season... he played a KHL game or 2 and then suddenly was told not to play until the player transfer card issues were worked out.

Actually London doesn't have a say as Zadorov was under a year to year contract and didn't resign with them this year. The entire issue is with CSKA Moscow holding his rights and not being willing to relinquish them as right now its either Buffalo or Moscow, no middle ground.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
That is technically accurate, however there is a second rule that does bring a drawback to keeping a player up. Players reach unrestricted free agency when they've either had 7 years of accrued service or reach the age of 27. Any player who is on the roster for 40 games, whether he plays in all or none of them, earns a year of accrued service. So if we kept Zadorov up as you described then we wouldn't burn a year off his ELC, but he would reach free agency a year earlier.

Thanks, I figured usually there are rules to stop people from finding loopholes.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

I dont understand? What makes you think I am fretting? I notice on hfboards everyone is so quick to make the other person stupid or ignorant.
It was just a question using Zadarov as an example.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Here's a question, is Zadorov getting paid his NHL salary to sit in the press box and practice with the team?

I would assume yes.

*edit* Never mind, someone already answered that in the Zadorov thread. It's yes.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I dont understand? What makes you think I am fretting? I notice on hfboards everyone is so quick to make the other person stupid or ignorant.
It was just a question using Zadarov as an example.

Your question was answered and I didn't pick up any nasty tone except for in your own "hence the word 'can'" remark.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille