Can Sbisa be the top 4 d partner for Fowler?

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
I know a number of people on this board have given up on Sbisa and want to give him away on the many trade proposals. But seeing him play against the Rangers, reminded me that he has all the physical tools you want from defenseman. I couldn't help to notice how physical and tough he is to play against. He can skate, carry the puck up ice, able to provide good outlet passes, hit, willing to drop gloves and stand up for teammates, and is not afraid to shoot the puck.

It been mentioned often on this board, that he has a 10 cent brain, but if we analyze his mistakes, most of them are due to him being ultra agressive. This agressiveness is his natural tendency, and he has never been allowed the time to grow into his skills. Philadelphia rushed him up in his first year as 18 year old, and while the Ducks gave him a year to spend in juniors, they threw him out with big responsibilities due to his physical skill set. The beginning of this season is the first time, Sbisa has been able to sit and observe the game from a NHL perspective, and let's see if he has learned from this, after all he is only 23 years old, which is around the age the game starts to slow down for young defensemen, and they start to blossom.

Hopefully, Sbisa watched how Lovejoy played with Cam, for this is the spot he is most likely the spot he will take. Lovejoy is everything Sbisa isn't. Lovejoy does not have the skills Sbisa has except for skating and his outlet pass. But Lovejoy has been effective, because he plays conservative game and he is smart. If Sbisa can learn to be smart and tame his natural agressiveness in his decision making, he can become an idea partner for Cam.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Can he be? Yes, I think he can. This is a question that, I think, has been asked for a couple of seasons now. The skillset is there, he can play good defense, and he can provide a nice physical presence on that pairing.

But this is really up to Sbisa. He needs to be willing to simplify his game, not try to do too much, and be willing to make the conservative play for the sake of defense.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Can he be? Yes, I think he can. This is a question that, I think, has been asked for a couple of seasons now. The skillset is there, he can play good defense, and he can provide a nice physical presence on that pairing.

But this is really up to Sbisa. He needs to be willing to simplify his game, not try to do too much, and be willing to make the conservative play for the sake of defense.

Considering you were never his greatest fan, I really appreciate this statement.
Couldn't have said it better, it's Sbisa's turn now, he has to play good on a daily basis to stay in the line-up. I think a good start is important, he always was a confidence-player.
In theory, this pairing could be a very good fit, but they both have to improve some parts of their game.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

I've always thought they would make great partners, IF Sbisa was willing to do the bolded.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Highly doubt it. At this point of his career Sbisa is not going to obtain the hockey iq necessary to be a top 4. Lindholm reads the ice like a top pairing d man and he's what 5 years younger?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
People tend to ignore what Sbisa brings to the table until he's missing and we don't see anybody else play his game. While he does need to smarten up his game, it was really nice seeing him do all the positive things he did in the Ranger game. Not the least of which was to play physical all over the ice as well as show a little offensive intiative. We don't have a D man who can do that like he can with the possible exception of a healthy but old, Souray.

The whole idea of the world revolving around find Cam a partner is getting old/silly. I don't care who Sbisa plays with if he continues to play his game and cut down on his mistakes. Regardless of partner, it will be a huge positive for the team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Highly doubt it. At this point of his career Sbisa is not going to obtain the hockey iq necessary to be a top 4. Lindholm reads the ice like a top pairing d man and he's what 5 years younger?

So because Lindholm has been impressive that now means a 23 year old D man can not improve his game? I believe those would be called mutually exclusive events. Not to mention history of D men says you are wrong as well.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
It's possible, but I don't think it's necessary for him to achieve that. I'll settle for him being a solid second or third pairing guy.

getzforfighting*

short story, no.

long story, has the tools. needs to use them properly. Scotty needs (pardon the pun) to drive this into his brain.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I will always, whether rightfully so or not, relate Sbisa's ability to "figure it out" to Beauchemin when he first came to Anaheim. To me, they have similar skill sets at that age, outside of Sbisa being a better skater. Beauchemin sacrificed some points, simplified his game, and became an incredible hard nosed minutes eating top 4 defenseman.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
People forget Sbisa played forward for most of his life... Its already rough for young defensemen in the NHL... He is going to need extra time due to the fact he hasn't been playing defense ad long as most other players that have played their whole life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad