Can Rubtsov make the Flyers next season?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It honestly feels like I'm the only person in the entire world who actually watched his Acadie-Bathurst games.

Jay O'Brien @ Providence >> German Rubtsov @ A-B.

The 1st paragraph from this article is outrageous. That's all I read.
I've skimmed a few articles this site adver- er...spa- uhhh...posts on this site, and they've all been terrible

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fair enough, but he's still a very good all around player and he's not the only candidate to take a spot. Vorobyev made the team last year, so he might push for a spot again at camp. NAK will be giving it his last shot to be an NHLer at camp. I think it's much more likely at this point that both Farabee and Frost start in the AHL, to get some big ice time at the pro level vs minimal icetime in the NHL. You also have to factor in the new coaches, who might just put Gabriel in the lineup as the new Tanner Glass and leave all the kids in the AHL except NAK, who requires waivers (not sure if Voro does this year or not). It's going to be an interesting camp.

I think Andreoff will see ice time way before Gabriel.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
:laugh: They're relevant to the thread because it's about whether or not Rubtsov can make the team. He's behind them on the depth chart, so what happens to them impacts him. If he's 3rd call up, at best, then that's important when deciding if he has a chance.

I'm sorry this triggered you so badly. I'll put a warning on my post next time.
But what if its fourth line center?

With Raffl and Laughhton? Pitlick 13. Nak 14. One of Frost or Farabee on the 3rd line?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

With Raffl and Laughhton? Pitlick 13. Nak 14. One of Frost or Farabee on the 3rd line?
That still would not be what is best for Rubstov and his development.

Instead of "settling" for him being a 4th line C, see if that offensive upside he was drafted with can be developed more and possibly he becomes a "potential" 2nd line player again. For his own development, he should be in the AHL in a top 6 scoring role. And if that side doesn't develop, he has the defensive side to fall back on to make the team in future years in a 4th line role.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Instead of "settling" for him being a 4th line C, see if that offensive upside he was drafted with can be developed more and possibly he becomes a "potential" 2nd line player again. For his own development, he should be in the AHL in a top 6 scoring role. And if that side doesn't develop, he has the defensive side to fall back on to make the team in future years in a 4th line role.
Possibly, and the same argument could apply to Frost and Farabee too. Are they all better off this year learning how to be pros in the AHL if they don't blow the doors off in camp? Then let Vorobyev and NAK (or Bunnaman, Kase, Twarynski?) have a chance on the 4th line, which would be better developmentally than wasting ice time on guys no NHL future, eg. Andreoff, Gabriel or Pitlick.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Fair enough, but he's still a very good all around player and he's not the only candidate to take a spot. Vorobyev made the team last year, so he might push for a spot again at camp. NAK will be giving it his last shot to be an NHLer at camp. I think it's much more likely at this point that both Farabee and Frost start in the AHL, to get some big ice time at the pro level vs minimal icetime in the NHL. You also have to factor in the new coaches, who might just put Gabriel in the lineup as the new Tanner Glass and leave all the kids in the AHL except NAK, who requires waivers (not sure if Voro does this year or not). It's going to be an interesting camp.
Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t given up on Rubtsov and I hope he has a strong year in the AHL. I’m just saying that, as of right now, I can’t imagine him being a better option than either Frost or Farabee to be in the top 9 to start the year.

As for the others, if one of Vorobyev, NAK, or f***ing Gabriel make the team over those two... I’ll lose my mind. :laugh:

I’m trying real hard to believe that the new coaches will do the right thing here. It’s the only thing saving my fragile sanity.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

If he hadn’t have missed all of last year, I’d be on board. But I think the jump from missing most of a season with an injury straight to the NHL, for someone who has struggled so much and had such a small sample of AHL of success, is just asking for trouble.

I’d rather let him start in the AHL and then just being him up if he looks good after a few weeks.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t given up on Rubtsov and I hope he has a strong year in the AHL. I’m just saying that, as of right now, I can’t imagine him being a better option than either Frost or Farabee to be in the top 9 to start the year.

As for the others, if one of Vorobyev, NAK, or ****ing Gabriel make the team over those two... I’ll lose my mind. :laugh:

I’m trying real hard to believe that the new coaches will do the right thing here. It’s the only thing saving my fragile sanity.
My condolences, if your sanity depends on Vigneault and Therrien doing the right thing. Tanner Gabriel will be in the lineup!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As for the others, if one of Vorobyev, NAK, or ****ing Gabriel make the team over those two... I’ll lose my mind. :laugh:

So you'd prefer Farabee or Frost in the press box as the 13th forward over NAK, Andreoff, Vorobyev or Gabriel? :sarcasm:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My condolences, if your sanity depends on Vigneault and Therrien doing the right thing. Tanner Gabriel will be in the lineup!
giphy.gif

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Rubtsov has been a point per game player at every level. If he can prove he can do it again this year for Lehigh Valley. We could have a very strong AHL team.

And if he earns a call up I could see him being fine in our bottom 6. He’s also a great penalty killer.

I think Lehigh Valley could win the AHL championship this year. Going to be fun to watch.

While flyers hopefully can go to 2nd round of the playoffs (at least)

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Lol I honestly don’t care if Gabriel is a spare. Plays a couple games as a 4th liner. If it’s against or division rivals , and he can scrap and throw some hits. That’s the energy we want. Instead of kids like Patrick, or a guy like Voracek having to drop the mits.

A full time guy? God no. But a guy like Gabriel isn’t a bad thing once in a while.

Last couple years have been sad watching the flyers get bullied. And only having Simmonds do something about it. Which deteriorated him.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
If he hadn’t have missed all of last year, I’d be on board. But I think the jump from missing most of a season with an injury straight to the NHL, for someone who has struggled so much and had such a small sample of AHL of success, is just asking for trouble.

I’d rather let him start in the AHL and then just being him up if he looks good after a few weeks.
And just go with Pitlick and NAK unless BOTH Farabee and Frost tear it up?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If we can get Ruby to a point where he looks like he is capable of being a 3C, he then becomes a valueable trade commodity as well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Time will tell but I will bet that he is very much in play for call ups. Which is inexcusable.

I don't see it, unless they look flat at some point and the coach tries to pull the "Goulbourne card" and get someone in the lineup to stir shit up for a few games.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
This is what I'd do.

Giroux-Couturier-TK
JVR-Hayes-Voracek
Frost/Farabee-Patrick-Lindblom
Raffl-Laughton-Pitlick/NAK

That's what I meant exactly. Don't be surprised at some point this season that Hayes and Coots might swap as well as Jake and TK.
Barring forced changes due to injury.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad