Can Rubtsov make the Flyers next season?

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
At any point? Sure I think he might be one of the first call ups...don’t think he’ll make it out of camp.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
In my opinion, AHL production is heavily overrated. The competition has deteriorated quite fast in the recent years.

If Rubstov plays 40-45 games and puts up any combination of 35-40 points, he will definitely be called up to test a B6 spot. Fletcher already has a sweet spot for Rubtsov, however, close to 1 year removed from season ending surgery without any games played is a lot to ask for coming out of camp.

So, my answer to your question: out of camp, no; call up in the year, yes.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If he makes it before Frost or Farabee it's a crime.

Both have done far more to prove their worth and neither sat out an entire year injured.

Rubtsov still has a lot to prove.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
It honestly feels like I'm the only person in the entire world who actually watched his Acadie-Bathurst games.

Jay O'Brien @ Providence >> German Rubtsov @ A-B.

The 1st paragraph from this article is outrageous. That's all I read.

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The best thing about Rubtsov is his natural two-way 200ft type of thinking the game.
Prospects like that can make the jump earlier than their peers.
Unfortunately, he seems to be made of glass. That may improve some as he matures physically but he has lost a lot of playing time already the last couple of years and that's why others have already passed by him in the internal pecking order.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry44

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
You knew I’d respond to the topic of a thread?

Boy oh boy you sure read me like a book, huh?
Not just respond but perform your "Don't dare to call up any living thing before Frost and Farabee" song in a thread that's not about Frost or Farabee. Your bias is over the top, it feels like you care about particular prospects more than about the Flyers. They all will be in Philly's lineup sooner or later, just relax. If they earn a roster spot out of the training camp that'd be the best case scenario, but if AV decides they need to play some time in LV, that won't be a tragedy.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not just respond but perform your "Don't dare to call up any living thing before Frost and Farabee" song in a thread that's not about Frost or Farabee. Your bias is over the top, it feels like you care about particular prospects more than about the Flyers. They all will be in Philly's lineup sooner or later, just relax. If they earn a roster spot out of the training camp that'd be the best case scenario, but if AV decides they need to play some time in LV, that won't be a tragedy.

:laugh: They're relevant to the thread because it's about whether or not Rubtsov can make the team. He's behind them on the depth chart, so what happens to them impacts him. If he's 3rd call up, at best, then that's important when deciding if he has a chance.

I'm sorry this triggered you so badly. I'll put a warning on my post next time.

Reactions: kudymen

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Flyers spent 1C money on a 3C and barring a trade or significant injury theres 1 roster spot for Rubstov, Farabee, Frost, or OBrien

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
If he makes it before Frost or Farabee it's a crime.

Both have done far more to prove their worth and neither sat out an entire year injured.

Rubtsov still has a lot to prove.
That's what training camp is for. Rubtsov may have filled out a bit, gotten stronger from working out with Provy again and be more ready for NHL duty than Frost, Farabee or the other F prospects like NAK. New coaching staff so it's hard to say who/what they will look for.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's what training camp is for. Rubtsov may have filled out a bit, gotten stronger from working out with Provy again and be more ready for NHL duty than Frost, Farabee or the other F prospects like NAK. New coaching staff so it's hard to say who/what they will look for.
There's a LOT more than just body development that matters when making a decision like this.

Like I said, no matter what shapes he's in, he has a lot to prove before he can be called up. He just missed nearly a whole year of hockey so even if he had a resume like the other two guys, he's not jumping straight to the NHL.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It's unlikely, but who knows, maybe he'll surprise us all.

I don't think he'd be the best fit for that final spot though. I'd like to see a more dynamic, offensive-minded player on that 3rd line to help Patrick create some offense.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
:laugh: They're relevant to the thread because it's about whether or not Rubtsov can make the team. He's behind them on the depth chart, so what happens to them impacts him. If he's 3rd call up, at best, then that's important when deciding if he has a chance.

I'm sorry this triggered you so badly. I'll put a warning on my post next time.
Whoever can make the team out of the training camp, I don't think the coaching staff have already ranked rookies in terms of who's the 1st call up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rookies aren't ranked in order, there's the question of where they fit and what would be best for their development.

Rubtsov and Farabee are better fits on the 4th line than Frost due to their style of play.
Rubstov is physically more NHL ready than Farabee or Frost, which again matters more on a 4th line role.

Farabee and Frost would be way ahead of Rubtsov for a top 9 role.

So they might make Laughton the 3LW and Rubtsov the 4C while ranking Frost and Farabee above him b/c they want them to to play on the top line in LHV, grooming them for starting spots in the spring or next season.

The good news is they have viable options other than calling up Akeson, Leier, Martel or Bailey. What we've seen the last five years.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Can he? Yes.
Will he? probably.
Right out of camp? Unlikely, but I would say more likely than Frost or Farabee as he can play the checking role (4th line) as either a center or a wing, something neither of those other gentlemen should be asked to do.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Flyers spent 1C money on a 3C and barring a trade or significant injury theres 1 roster spot for Rubstov, Farabee, Frost, or OBrien

1C's cost a lot more than $7 million nowadays and Hayes was signed to be the 2C for now, which he is easily capable of. Try again.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's unlikely, but who knows, maybe he'll surprise us all.

I don't think he'd be the best fit for that final spot though. I'd like to see a more dynamic, offensive-minded player on that 3rd line to help Patrick create some offense.

A Patrick-Rubstov combo does sound kind of flat to me.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
There's a LOT more than just body development that matters when making a decision like this.

Like I said, no matter what shapes he's in, he has a lot to prove before he can be called up. He just missed nearly a whole year of hockey so even if he had a resume like the other two guys, he's not jumping straight to the NHL.
Fair enough, but he's still a very good all around player and he's not the only candidate to take a spot. Vorobyev made the team last year, so he might push for a spot again at camp. NAK will be giving it his last shot to be an NHLer at camp. I think it's much more likely at this point that both Farabee and Frost start in the AHL, to get some big ice time at the pro level vs minimal icetime in the NHL. You also have to factor in the new coaches, who might just put Gabriel in the lineup as the new Tanner Glass and leave all the kids in the AHL except NAK, who requires waivers (not sure if Voro does this year or not). It's going to be an interesting camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->