Can players with no movement clauses get out of a contract if their team relocates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Some of the Coyotes players (or former players in Upshall's case) comments about not wanting to go to Winnipeg got me thinking about this one. From reading the CBA, I'm thinking no, but that seems to go against the 'no movement against the player's wishes' intent of the clause.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Some of the Coyotes players (or former players in Upshall's case) comments about not wanting to go to Winnipeg got me thinking about this one. From reading the CBA, I'm thinking no, but that seems to go against the 'no movement against the player's wishes' intent of the clause.

I wouldn't think so. I think if you sign a deal that includes an NTC or NMC it is with a franchise, not a City.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
(a) The SPC of any player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article 10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not become effective until the time that the player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency. If the player is traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

(b) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict the Club's buy-out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24) hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed rejected.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
(a) The SPC of any player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article 10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not become effective until the time that the player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency. If the player is traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

(b) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict the Club's buy-out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24) hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed rejected.
I don't see where you get that from the CBA language. I think there coul end up being arbitration on the issue if a player with an NMC really didn't want to go to WPG, QC, KCY, or whatever other location the NHL relocates to.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The way I read it the CBA says: whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim.

Nothing to do with the team moving, probably because it doesn't happen that often. I would say you either move with the team or retire. This is a stipulation in the CBA that a player gets some monies to help cover reasonable moving costs.

Personally, I don't care where a team comes from or where it goes, if a player doesn't want to move to the new city , then goodbye, I don't want him playing for my team.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The way I read it the CBA says: whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim.

Nothing to do with the team moving, probably because it doesn't happen that often. I would say you either move with the team or retire. This is a stipulation in the CBA that a player gets some monies to help cover reasonable moving costs.

Personally, I don't care where a team comes from or where it goes, if a player doesn't want to move to the new city , then goodbye, I don't want him playing for my team.

Exactly, too funny about Upshall and his tweet hellnowewontgo. Well he got on the plane to Columbus...

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Arbitration on what grounds? The team is the contractor, not the city, thus the NMC/NTC must be linked to the team rather than the location.
This first clause says it prevents involuntary movement of a player.

It's probably right, but I think if a player wanted to put up a fight, they would at least have a hearing, and not dismiss it out of hand.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Mod: deleted.

The CBA establishes NMC only really applies to trade, waivers, and demotions. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if the NHLPA argued otherwise anyways, and it might be something more explicitly written into the next CBA.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
You'll be saying that a lot should Winnipeg finally get its team. That place vies with Edmonton for the least desirable playing location/city in the US and Canada.

The CBA establishes NMC only really applies to trade, waivers, and demotions. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if the NHLPA argued otherwise anyways, and it might be something more explicitly written into the next CBA.

It baffles me as to why Winnipeg and Edmonton are supposedly bad cities to play and live in....

Of course the fans in Wpg would be passionate and demanding, but for players like Upshall and Kovalchuk etc.... who have underachieved and don't want the spot light fine...

But for everyone of them, there is a Taylor Hall, a Teemu Selanne who love playing infront of passionate fans who don't come for the 1$ beer nights only to ask what offside means...

Its a sad state we live in when doctors and teachers make almost no money compared to silly athletes who refused to play a sport for millions in a city that would love them for doing it like men and coming to play nightly!

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Any Canadian born hockey player who doesn't want to play for a Canadian team can die and rot in hell for all I care.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
It baffles me as to why Winnipeg and Edmonton are supposedly bad cities to play and live in....

Of course the fans in Wpg would be passionate and demanding, but for players like Upshall and Kovalchuk etc.... who have underachieved and don't want the spot light fine...

But for everyone of them, there is a Taylor Hall, a Teemu Selanne who love playing infront of passionate fans who don't come for the 1$ beer nights only to ask what offside means...

Its a sad state we live in when doctors and teachers make almost no money compared to silly athletes who refused to play a sport for millions in a city that would love them for doing it like men and coming to play nightly!

Right on.

Also I believe Alex Ovechkin said he would love to play for a Canadian team because of the passion of the fans.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
If a player has an NMC, they can void a contract if the team relocates? It doesn't seem spelled out in the CBA, so maybe this is something that would end up in arbitration?

No. A NMC can prevent movement of a player by trade, loan, or waivers. There is nothing in the CBA that would allow a player to void an SPC if a team relocates - short of refusing to report and hoping the team terminates it for breach, rather than suspending him and tolling the contract.

I can't see any grounds for even filing a grievance and going to arbitration.

CBA Article 11.8(b) said:
(b) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player,
whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim
. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict
the Club's buy-out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to
exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC
hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3
hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The
Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or
reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in
accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24)
hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed
rejected.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Speaking just in terms of weather and climate, Winnipeg would probably be much more similar to Minneapolis than it would be Calgary or Edmonton.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
For every player that says they don't want to play in WPG, EDM etc you will find a player that doesn't want to play in FL, ATL, PHX, NYI etc.

Some players prefer milder/warmer climates
Some players prefer playing in a hockey market (like a sold out building, knowledgeable fan base, celebrity status)
Some players prefer to play in non hockey markets (more private)

At the end of the day most prefer to play where the team is competitive and the game/sport is important.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Come on man.....

What? Canada was good enough to learn the game in.

The thousands of volunteers that sacrificed so much so kids can play the game were good enough for a player growing up.

I stand by my comment.

It's bad enough that we have/had players that didn't/don't want to play for the Raptors/Grizzlies/Blue Jays/Expo's. At least I can understand that to a point.

But a Canadian kid not wanting to play for a team in Canada....come on man!

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
What? Canada was good enough to learn the game in.

The thousands of volunteers that sacrificed so much so kids can play the game were good enough for a player growing up.

I stand by my comment.

It's bad enough that we have/had players that didn't/don't want to play for the Raptors/Grizzlies/Blue Jays/Expo's. At least I can understand that to a point.

But a Canadian kid not wanting to play for a team in Canada....come on man!

Believe it or not, not every kid's dream is to grow up playing hockey in Edmonton or Winnipeg. They are cities that have very little to offer 20 something millionaires.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
The current CBA wasn't written with relocation in mind. If the Atlanta and Phoenix nonsense drags on (and if any other teams get into trouble), you can be that it'll be written into the next CBA.

The whole purpose of the NMC is to give the player some security so they can build a life in the community. Relocation can destroy that just as easily as a trade.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
The current CBA wasn't written with relocation in mind. If the Atlanta and Phoenix nonsense drags on (and if any other teams get into trouble), you can be that it'll be written into the next CBA.

The whole purpose of the NMC is to give the player some security so they can build a life in the community. Relocation can destroy that just as easily as a trade.

so you're saying that if a current coyotes (lets say doan) has a no movement clause he'll have to stay in phoenix until his contract expires even if they dont have a team?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
For what it is worth....Doan leaves PHX as soon as the hockey season is over and splits his time between his homes in Kamloops BC & Halkirk AB (population of less than 125 people).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->