Can Olli Jokinen become a modern day Kris Draper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Now that Peter Laviolette has ruined OJ's offensive game and made him a 4th line defensive grinder do you guys think he could become a modern day Kris Draper for Nashville Predators?

Olli has really improved defensively and is a +/- 0 despite only putting up 2 points. That's a huge improvement when you consider OJ is -138 for his career despite putting up over 700 Points. Could we see a Kris Draper kind of career for OJ with Nashville were he could win a couple of cups before retiring?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Jokinen is on a 1 year contract. Guessing he won't be back with Nashville next year. While I have lots of respect for Nashville, they aren't winning a Cup this year. So no he will not win Cups with Nashville before retiring.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Jokinen has been a mess defensively for years. He would blow assignments, get in the way of his d-men, and cause utter chaos in his zone. He backchecks hard but doesn't read the play.

At his age it is not likely he will improve much, never mind become one of the better defensive forwards in the NHL.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Now that Peter Laviolette has ruined OJ's offensive game and made him a 4th line defensive grinder do you guys think he could become a modern day Kris Draper for Nashville Predators?

Olli has really improved defensively and is a +/- 0 despite only putting up 2 points. That's a huge improvement when you consider OJ is -138 for his career despite putting up over 700 Points. Could we see a Kris Draper kind of career for OJ with Nashville were he could win a couple of cups before retiring?

I have two questions.

1) How exactly is it Laviolette's fault?

2) 2011 isn't modern?

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Olli Jokinen will follow no path but his own and set an example for younger generations.

HFBoard posters will ask in the future if a player X has become Olli Jokinen of today.

There is no precedent for Olli Jokinen, he is the precedent! All hail the pumpkin head!

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
What did Lavy do to get the blame? Honest question because I don't watch the Preds and loved Lavy when he coached the Flyers.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
What did Lavy do to get the blame? Honest question because I don't watch the Preds and loved Lavy when he coached the Flyers.

He got hired to take the place of a guy who couldn't get it done, and Jokinen happened to also fall off of the map at the same time.

So, basically he put on his pants and got the blame.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
OJ... the original bad luck charm. Watch the Preds get to the Finals and lose in game 7 OT by a crappy shot that deflects off his skate or something.

On a more serious note though I feel it is quite weird that he has regressed this fast. I mean, he had 43 points last season with Winnipeg. Guess he fell of a cliff in the summer. The answer to OP's question in my opinion is no. He isn't that sound defensively from what I can remember (I have not watched Nashville games this season) and he just doesn't have "that" what Draper had. Aaaand he will probably bolt back to Europe after this season.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
He replaced OJ with Mike Ribeiro... :shakehead

Oh, so basically what you're saying is "I haven't actually watched the Predators this year"?

He "replaced" Jokinen with Ribeiro? Ribeiro has been on the top line since the first puck dropped, and Jokinen started on the third line. Ribeiro has kept his spot because he has earned it and deserves it. OJ has done nothing to even justify being on the fourth line

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Oh, so basically what you're saying is "I haven't actually watched the Predators this year"?

He "replaced" Jokinen with Ribeiro? Ribeiro has been on the top line since the first puck dropped, and Jokinen started on the third line. Ribeiro has kept his spot because he has earned it and deserves it. OJ has done nothing to even justify being on the fourth line

Ribeiro should never have been signed. There's a reason Phoenix got rid of him...

OJ should've been the number 1 center. He plays best when he's the number 1 guy.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Ribeiro should never have been signed. There's a reason Phoenix got rid of him...

OJ should've been the number 1 center. He plays best when he's the number 1 guy.

Ribeiro is scoring at over .80 PPG, and Jokinen has how many points? Also, you're blaming Laviolette for a signing that Poile made. This series of argument is getting ridiculous, my friend.

I'll take the guy near a PPG over the guy who has 2 points in 33 games on my top line every day of the week.\

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
First off, I don't think he can. He is just not as good defensively. Second, you realize that Jokinen and Draper are contemporaries? There is nothing "modern day" about that.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Draper was fast, had high defensive IQ, and was dominant in the dot.

OJ is not fast, doesn't have great defensive instincts, and sucks in the dot.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
OJ is one of the best defensive forwards now. It will be interesting to watch for sure.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I can see him ending up with the Oilers, Hurricanes, Panthers or Buffalo if he remains in the NHL next year.

But I think he'll end up with one of the Finnish KHL teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad