Can NHL players play in IIHF Championship or Spengler Cup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Although many are getting their hopes up that the lockout may end with this week's talks between the union and the NHL... I'm not holding my breath just yet.

But I was looking ahead to the IIHF World tournament and also the Spengler Cup that is played in early spring 2005. If the NHL has the lockout still in effect, can the players be eligible to play in these tournaments??

If they can, it could make for one of the best IIHF tourneys in quite some time! Even the Spengler would be loaded with very talented players. At least it would be something to look forward to if the NHL can't get something done. :help:

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
I see no reason why not, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mike Peca play in the Spengler Cup?

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Yeah, but that was while he was holding out from the Buffalo Sabres a few years ago. Just wondering if the lockout is still in effect, whether the IIHF would allow exiled NHL'ers to play in the World Championship?

Also would any of the European leagues overlap the tourney for those NHL'ers playing in any of these leagues right now?

Just wondering...

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Roots73 said:
Just wondering if the lockout is still in effect, whether the IIHF would allow exiled NHL'ers to play in the World Championship?
Why on earth wouldn't the IIHF allow NHL players to take part ?

Also would any of the European leagues overlap the tourney for those NHL'ers playing in any of these leagues right now?
Most leagues in Europe have a break during the period when the Spengler Cup is played. Remember 4 of the 5 teams are club teams (as opposed to national teams).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->