Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
These guys have microphones stuck in their face every day for 10 months of the year. Hard to escape that without that escape becoming the story.

Players have bad seasons, or at least ones where they underperform. It happens to literally all of them. Even Crosby. The difference is that when a player does it in a Canadian market, it makes for a really uncomfortable year for them. They are constantly hearing stuff at work and when they go about their daily lives. And if they have a really bad season, wow does it suck for them. Often their family starts hearing about it from the public.

I completely understand why no Canadian team has won the cup in 25 years

It's a performance oriented business. Dwight Howard got killed for having a bad year in a basketball market like LA. If you have a bad season as an NFL QB, you likely are gonna get hounded like there's no tomorrow. If you're not bringing it in a baseball market get paid big dollars, look out.

Edmonton media is still a bunch of cream puffs that rarely will ask tough questions. Even the whole thing about the fans ... fans in Edmonton are pretty damn quiet during games unless a game really gets ugly or something amazing happens, people prefer to just sit and quietly watch the game like they're absorbing a book or something. Toronto and Montreal are the main markets where the media can actually really get "mean".

The Oilers in 06 and as much as it pains me to say it, the Flames in 04 and Canucks in '10 really were only a bounce or two away from winning the Cup, so not sure if I buy that. Generally though Canadian teams have tended to have crappier management.

Reactions: Bangers

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
These guys have microphones stuck in their face every day for 10 months of the year. Hard to escape that without that escape becoming the story.

Players have bad seasons, or at least ones where they underperform. It happens to literally all of them. Even Crosby. The difference is that when a player does it in a Canadian market, it makes for a really uncomfortable year for them. They are constantly hearing stuff at work and when they go about their daily lives. And if they have a really bad season, wow does it suck for them. Often their family starts hearing about it from the public.

I completely understand why no Canadian team has won the cup in 25 years

This makes no sense. The ONLY thing that has changed is the presence of the internet. That's it. Players are told specifically NOT to pay attention to any comments about them online as anybody should not.

So whats the theory then. That Canada suddenly sucks for NHL players because of the Internet? Players used to love playing here and in hot markets where people cared about the game.

Canada is one of the best places in the world to live. I'll never comprehend the exodus to the south. I could see if players went to Europe for lifestyle and an interesting continent but USA? Couldn't pay me to live in most of it. Hawaii I could handle. ;)

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It's a performance oriented business. Dwight Howard got killed for having a bad year in a basketball market like LA. If you have a bad season as an NFL QB, you likely are gonna get hounded like there's no tomorrow. If you're not bringing it in a baseball market get paid big dollars, look out.

Edmonton media is still a bunch of cream puffs that rarely will ask tough questions. Even the whole thing about the fans ... fans in Edmonton are pretty damn quiet during games unless a game really gets ugly or something amazing happens, people prefer to just sit and quietly watch the game like they're absorbing a book or something. Toronto and Montreal are the main markets where the media can actually really get "mean".

The Oilers in 06 and as much as it pains me to say it, the Flames in 04 and Canucks in '10 really were only a bounce or two away from winning the Cup, so not sure if I buy that. Generally though Canadian teams have tended to have crappier management.

This I think is the key and that crappy management here is tolerated by owners who make money anyway. In the US you have to field a competitive team to have any chance of not bleeding copious millions. In Canada you just open the doors and people flock to games no matter how bad the teams are.

Reactions: Aerrol and fuswald

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This makes no sense. The ONLY thing that has changed is the presence of the internet. That's it. Players are told specifically NOT to pay attention to any comments about them online as anybody should not.

So whats the theory then. That Canada suddenly sucks for NHL players because of the Internet? Players used to love playing here and in hot markets where people cared about the game.

Canada is one of the best places in the world to live. I'll never comprehend the exodus to the south. I could see if players went to Europe for lifestyle and an interesting continent but USA? Couldn't pay me to live in most of it. Hawaii I could handle. ;)
Canada sucks for players because they can't live a normal everyday life without being interrupted by outspoken 'fans'. Some might say it comes with the territory, but its pretty easy to understand why some players decide to play in markets where they can walk down a busy street unbothered.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Canada sucks for players because they can't live a normal everyday life without being interrupted by outspoken 'fans'. Some might say it comes with the territory, but its pretty easy to understand why some players decide to play in markets where they can walk down a busy street unbothered.
Hockey fans in general have it pretty easy when it comes to this so I don’t have much pity in them. Your being paid astronomical amounts of money to play a game.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln

Please list the USA cities you've lived in or visited more than the airport.

<insert where I live> is one of the best places in the world to live. :popcorn:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I lived in the shit-hole known as Los Angeles.
It's the worst place on the planet. I'd go into the racism, police brutality, chauvanism but i don't want to write an essay.

St.Louis has a travel Advisory:
NAACP Missouri travel advisory is the first issued for a state - CNN

Florida lol. Fun place to visit. But it's still the place where some drugged out dude ate a homeless man's face, got shot twice and kept eating his face.
Florida Man | Daily Headlines about Florida Man, the Worst Superhero Ever.

Btw, I have a daughter, and I don't want her getting shot during school. Kinda surprised you wouldn't mind getting your kids shot, but to each their own I guess.

The US blows. Yes I've lived there. I love visiting. New York would be fun, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Hawaii is the best place on the planet. Only place in the US I'd ever want to live. And yes I've visited most of the cities with an NHL team (not Buffalo, Tampa, Columbus, Detroit, or Minny).

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I lived in the ****-hole known as Los Angeles.
It's the worst place on the planet. I'd go into the racism, police brutality, chauvanism but i don't want to write an essay.
I agree LA is the worst city I’ve ever been to and I’ve been on every continent. Just a cesspool of everything wrong with the world.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I could live in Arizona year round no problem. Couldn't think of a better place to play in the NHL, personally.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hawaii is the best place on the planet. Only place in the US I'd ever want to live. And yes I've visited most of the cities with an NHL team (not Buffalo, Tampa, Columbus, Detroit, or Minny).

Out of curiosity, which island(s) have you been to?

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009

I have been lucky enough to travel a lot in my life and there's literally nowhere I would rather live than right here in Canada. New Zealand and Hawaii are the only places that I would remotely consider.

Just one opinion but I know quite a few people who feel the same way.

Tallasar

Apr 11, 2018
Auckland
I have been lucky enough to travel a lot in my life and there's literally nowhere I would rather live than right here in Canada. New Zealand and Hawaii are the only places that I would remotely consider.

I agree!

Cheers from Auckland

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Players shouldn't need to be told to ignore online comments. We have all experienced the cruelty of strangers on the Internet. It seems as if the Internet was bound to become as cruel and vicious as it has become.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
THN forecast has Lucic with 22 points this season. This guy is going to make a lot of people eat crow.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I've lived in Edmonton, Vancouver, Los Angeles and Rio de Janeiro. I've spent many years traveling as well. Canada, Australia and New Zealand are probably the best places in the world to live. The USA is a great place to visit but overall its just a giant cesspool of garbage and problems.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Check Maui out the next time that you make it out this way.

I liked Kauai more. Beautiful island, great exploring possibilities, hiking, and less crowded.

Napali coastline trail one of the most beautiful places on Earth. As well as Hanalei bay. Waimea canyon also special. Had a great time on Maui as well. Did the drive out to Hana. Went to Haleakala and hiked into there. Lots of other hikes and beach explorations.

tbh Oahu and the Big Island would be my least favorite Islands.

Kauai and Maui are the best ones. I like the coastlines, chances to get away from the crowds. Both Islands offer that. Big island is too big, too dry and arid, Big island is too big and as a tourist you waste too much time driving around. All the other islands are better in that you can get everywhere much quicker.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

The US just holds no appeal to me outside of NY or Hawaii. Maybe Alaska but I haven't been there. I kind of like the Northwest but not for any length of time.

But the key point is that most NHL US cities are cesspools. Places to avoid, not live in.

I love all of Canada, Europe, Mainland USA not my cup of tea at all.

If I wasn't born in Canada I would have lived in Europe and stayed there.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I could live in Arizona year round no problem. Couldn't think of a better place to play in the NHL, personally.

I think I would spontaneously combust in Arizona. 45C heat is far worse than -30C.

Whats the point of living in a place where its too hot to go outside much of the time and where poisonous critters roam freely?

Take Canada everytime, thanks.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I think I would spontaneously combust in Arizona. 45C heat is far worse than -30C.

Whats the point of living in a place where its too hot to go outside much of the time and where poisonous critters roam freely?

Take Canada everytime, thanks.

I love Montana, although it really isn't warmer there. No taxes on sales ;)

also, no NHL teams will ever be near there and it would not be a draw for them unless they liked riding horses in their spare time.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Glacier Park, Going to the sun road are nice. But Glacier park feels just the same as our great national parks. Except ours are better..

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I liked Kauai more. Beautiful island, great exploring possibilities, hiking, and less crowded.

Napali coastline trail one of the most beautiful places on Earth. As well as Hanalei bay. Waimea canyon also special. Had a great time on Maui as well. Did the drive out to Hana. Went to Haleakala and hiked into there. Lots of other hikes and beach explorations.

tbh Oahu and the Big Island would be my least favorite Islands.

Kauai and Maui are the best ones. I like the coastlines, chances to get away from the crowds. Both Islands offer that. Big island is too big, too dry and arid, Big island is too big and as a tourist you waste too much time driving around. All the other islands are better in that you can get everywhere much quicker.

I haven't been to Kaua'i since I was about 4 years old. I have heard that it is beautiful and I'd like to go there one day. However I have heard that the people there are less friendly. If you go to the Big Island of Hawaii, check out North Kohala, the Hamakua coast, etc. it's much nicer than Kona and south Kohala. Oahu is too crowded for my liking but has a lot of shopping and restaurants.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->