Player Discussion Can Lucic bounce back? Part II

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
2r6rrb.jpg

People were crapping on Kassian for having Lucic like production until Zack got put on the McDavid line and turned it up and he gets paid $1.9 mill.

I don't think Kassian and Lucic are that comparable truthfully. Lucic is more consistently physical and plays a better 2 way game in my opinion. If Lucic wasn't lucic and getting paid huge money and was just seen as a bottom 6 guy no one would dislike him. He'd be useful.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's done.

The issue isn't that he's making $6M. It's that he doesn't belong in this league and actively hurts the team when he's on the ice.

Reactions: MikeYEG

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Considering how much he's being paid for how terrible he is, he kinda does owe us. Hopefully he take the summer to reflect and realizes that he's hurting the team and not helping it and goes on LTIR. It's either that or pressbox him for the rest of his career, he's dead weight and the team is better without him.

I disagree.
Nobody can say he's lazy or intentionally doing something to sabotage his career.
He isn't any slower than he was 5 years ago.
Find me 1 article on the internet that states that he's not the player he used to be because of a past injury and I'll change my mind.

This isn't a case of a player like Louie Erikson signing and then deciding that he just needs to clock in and out every game for the $$$ and put no effort into playing hockey.

This is the case of a team hiring a crappy GM who had this idea that building a team that fundamentally doesn't doesn't work in the NHL and going out signing players who aren't currently relevant in the NHL.

This was made possible by the stupidly loyal season ticket holders of the Edmonton Oilers.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't think Kassian and Lucic are that comparable truthfully. Lucic is more consistently physical and plays a better 2 way game in my opinion. If Lucic wasn't lucic and getting paid huge money and was just seen as a bottom 6 guy no one would dislike him. He'd be useful.

If Lucic could skate like Kassian he'd be putting up 60+ points, McDavid and Drai would rarely play together, nobody would talk about this contract and Lucic would probably be the most hated player in the league.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's just not an NHL player anymore and hasn't really been since Christmas 2017. I wonder if something happened to him over the holidays.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There are far worst contracts than Lucic's that have been traded without retention.

But those were deals to teams that needed to hit the cap floor or players on LTIR. There’s maybe 2-3 teams in the league next season that might need to hit the cap floor but would Lucic waive to go to them.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Lucic would probably waive to go to either coast. Find me the team that wants him though. I think most GMs would assess him as a fringe NHL player. So, you might be buying him out if your the final team in a 3 team deal with retention. Why use a roster spot on this player when it's clear that he's barely and NHL player at this stage? So what gets that done? 3 draft picks?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I disagree.
Nobody can say he's lazy or intentionally doing something to sabotage his career.
He isn't any slower than he was 5 years ago.
Find me 1 article on the internet that states that he's not the player he used to be because of a past injury and I'll change my mind.

This isn't a case of a player like Louie Erikson signing and then deciding that he just needs to clock in and out every game for the $$$ and put no effort into playing hockey.

This is the case of a team hiring a crappy GM who had this idea that building a team that fundamentally doesn't doesn't work in the NHL and going out signing players who aren't currently relevant in the NHL.

This was made possible by the stupidly loyal season ticket holders of the Edmonton Oilers.

So it’s the STH fault that Lucic is an Oiler. Why can’t you blame Toby like everyone else.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As ridiculously costly as it would be I think they have to look at buying him out, wonder if Katz would do it.

Don’t buy him out, 2 years his cap hit is nearly the same as his present day salary. On the books for 8 years. Pay his signing bonus and do what you have to to trade him this summer with no retention.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Like the guy , but man he has not paid off. Looch is not a nhl er anymore, sad but this is reality. They have to pull the t.o card and put him on IR for the rest of the contract. Maybe just maybe somehow the new GM can move him

On the IR for what? He has no injury.

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
Don’t buy him out, 2 years his cap hit is nearly the same as his present day salary. On the books for 8 years. Pay his signing bonus and do what you have to to trade him this summer with no retention.
He is debateably not even an NHL player now, I want them to trade him but it isn't going to happen

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He is debateably not even an NHL player now, I want them to trade him but it isn't going to happen

A bunch of teams would easily sign him for under 3M. I'm convinced there are even a few that would go for under 3.5.
The fact is that he's not worth 1/2 of what he's making in the eyes of many.
Doesn't mean that there isn't a place for him in the NHL... it's just that contract.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A bunch of teams would easily sign him for under 3M. I'm convinced there are even a few that would go for under 3.5.
The fact is that he's not worth 1/2 of what he's making in the eyes of many.
Doesn't mean that there isn't a place for him in the NHL... it's just that contract.
He’s getting outplayed by guys that shouldn’t be in the NHL.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Need a clever GM to work a 3 way deal with the middle team taking our assets to eat cap space and move him to another team at a lower cap hit. Win win win.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He’s getting outplayed by guys that shouldn’t be in the NHL.

So was Dustin Brown 2 years ago.

When Tom Wilson runs Pittsburgh’s show (again) and possibly Tampa’s show, Ryan Reaves runs the Sharks and Flames show, Marchand runs the Leafs show (again), Big Buff runs Dallas and then Nashville’s show (again), Lucic at a much lower cap hit will have value in the off season. That style of player still matters in the playoffs.

Need a middleman team to eat half his salary and move him in exchange for assets from us and from the receiving team.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So was Dustin Brown 2 years ago.

When Tom Wilson runs Pittsburgh’s show (again) and possibly Tampa’s show, Ryan Reaves runs the Sharks and Flames show, Marchand runs the Leafs show (again), Big Buff runs Dallas and then Nashville’s show (again), Lucic at a much lower cap hit will have value in the off season. That style of player still matters in the playoffs.

Need a middleman team to eat half his salary and move him in exchange for assets from us and from the receiving team.
Lucic was garbage in the playoffs and our guys still get run. Nobody is afraid of this player. He’s a slightly better Steve MacIntyre at this point. Guys like Wilson and Reaves can actually play.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

He gets 5 goals a year, cant kill penalties, cant pp, cant be iced in overtime - MANY fans would still be unhappy with him even if he made 3 million a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->