Player Discussion Can Lucic bounce back? Part II

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Good game is having some energy for 4 or 5 shifts in a game and being able to make a pass in the offensive zone vs some 4th line forwards and 3rd pairing D.

Low-Bar.jpeg

Reactions: Raoul Duke

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
How do we make the press box that much more unbearable for him though?

- seat him next to a mic'd up Terry Jones for every breath and throat clear

- view of game is actually blocked out by a projection screen playing clips from his good ol' Bruins days.

- have a digital counter that shows how much money he has earned sitting and not playing

Reactions: Porkleaker

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
0 goals in his past 16 games

So much for 2018 being an anomalous stretch.

Back to him having a "good game" if he shows he even has a pulse.

I truly hope you're not surprised to pop up in here :laugh:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm/was a big fan of his but this is exactly how he should be dealt with. Press box until he can contribute or wants out bad enough to be traded to Ottawa.
I think I’d rather have lucic in the lineup over that waste of a contract slot in Malone.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
What would it matter if you put him in the press box and he wanted a trade? Nobody wants his contract.

Lots of teams have a bad contract on their roster you could look at pretty much every team and find one. The problem is Chiarelli jammed this team up to the cap so badly that everyone hones in fully on Lucic. He’s here and he’s not going anywhere until there’s a buyout or by some miracle some team takes him via expansion or trying to float on the cap floor. Until then putting him in the press box until he wants a trade is idiotic. Sit him if he isn’t playing well sure but get him back in because he’s a problem but he’s our problem and minus some sudden mystery equipment allergy he will be for a long time.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Looks better with Colby Cave on the 4th line. And that is the high end of what he is ultimately and finally reduced to. Looking okay on a 4th line on one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Reactions: MikeYEG and Aerchon

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
He's played better of late.

Didn't realize Maroon only has 1 more point than Lucic. Little less games though. We couldn't keep both and we were kind of tied to Lucic so it is what it is. Maroon only looked good with Mcdavid I thought. Even Lucic looks good with Connor. Lol.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
he seems better. But this is a pattern at this point. He'll be okay and even great in the last third or quarter of the season or so, but horrible before then. He was like that in 2016-17 too, when his contract didn't actually look bad by the end of it. He was good in those playoffs as well.

So can we just scratch him until January every season?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Lucic needs to sit in a press box until he agrees to be put on LTIR for his "back pain" from Scheuermann's disease.

At the age of 15, he was diagnosed with Scheuermann's disease, a condition that can cause the upper back to curve and has given Lucic a hunched-over posture.[2]
Milan Lucic - Wikipedia

Scheuermann's disease is notorious for causing lower and mid-level back and neck pain, which can be severe and disabling. The sufferer may feel pain at the apex of the curve, which is aggravated by physical activity and by periods of standing or sitting; this can have a significantly detrimental effect to their lives as their level of activity is curbed by their disability.
Scheuermann's disease - Wikipedia

Once he is on LTIR, we can trade him to a cap floor team.

Once on a cap-floor team, he can attempt a comeback.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Lucic needs to sit in a press box until he agrees to be put on LTIR for his "back pain" from Scheuermann's disease.

At the age of 15, he was diagnosed with Scheuermann's disease, a condition that can cause the upper back to curve and has given Lucic a hunched-over posture.[2]
Milan Lucic - Wikipedia

Scheuermann's disease is notorious for causing lower and mid-level back and neck pain, which can be severe and disabling. The sufferer may feel pain at the apex of the curve, which is aggravated by physical activity and by periods of standing or sitting; this can have a significantly detrimental effect to their lives as their level of activity is curbed by their disability.

I'm sure glad I don't know you.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Milan Lucic - Wikipedia

You think it's that easy to just tell someone to stop doing what they love doing?
If he feels that it's manageable no doctor in the NHL is going to tell the league that he should be on LTIR for life.
Bringing up this stuff about his back is just getting people's hopes up.
There isn't a single article anyone on the internet stating that his back is holding him back. He never complains about it. He hasn't ever missed a game due to this problem so until we starting hearing otherwise give it a rest.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You think it's that easy to just tell someone to stop doing what they love doing?
If he feels that it's manageable no doctor in the NHL is going to tell the league that he should be on LTIR for life.
Bringing up this stuff about his back is just getting people's hopes up.
There isn't a single article anyone on the internet stating that his back is holding him back. He never complains about it. He hasn't ever missed a game due to this problem so until we starting hearing otherwise give it a rest.
Show me all of the articles on Hossa's allergies before he announced he was taking time off.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Show me all of the articles on Hossa's allergies before he announced he was taking time off.
SMH.... seriously?
What the hell does Hossa have to do with this?

• Hossa was making 1M per season on the remaining years left on his contract while Lucic is making a helluva lot more
  • Hossa wanted to retire while Lucic hasn't suggest anything of the sort
  • Dermatologists and hockey players who previously retired because of the irritation brought on from this disorder have spoken out on how it's a ***** to deal with and yeah if your pockets are already laced with gold and you're only making 1M per season maybe it's not worth putting up with.
Nobody has come out and said that Lucic's back disease is the reason why he can't skate. The fact of the matter is that Lucic was never a fast skater and the game has changed quite a lot since he came into the league. When Lucic came into the league you could easily win with big, sluggish tanky teams as long as you managed team discipline. Those teams don't win anymore and yes the Lucic contract sucks, but that doesn't matter. Just that Lucic sucks doesn't mean that he has to retire. He didn't hold our team at gunpoint to get that contract. Our team was stupid enough to hire a GM stupid enough to offer that contract.

Lucic doesn't owe us the luxery of retiring just so that we can use the cap space to add much needed depth to our wings. So it's time to come up with a new pipe dream that involves us creating a ton of cap space without coughing up something valuable.

BendItLikePeckham

Jul 4, 2018
Okay, okay, okay hear me out.

Is it completely out of the realm that our friend Milan, can't somewhat turn his career around? I get that he's been terrible this year, I do believe some of that (not to mention every other secondary scorer) is hampered by a lack of talent (no s*** Sherlock) /lack of line chemistry.

Emotionally this team seems to have the strength of a turtle, when the game gets tough, they go into their shell, sometimes a miracle play pulls them through, but 9/10 times, if they're down by 2 goals in the 3rd, they're done. (Don't give me the actual stat) I honestly believe this team just needs a COACH, an offensive driven COACH(a guy that will genuinely bust the asses of every guy in that locker room). A guy that can also recognize players strengths and apply that to constructing lines.

This brings me back to Looch, I feel like deep down there is still a pretty good, not great player there, at least a guy that can put up to 45 points for the next couple of years (for god sakes he put 55 up with LA) Let's say this new GM brings in a couple of genuine top 6 forwards along with a decent 3rd C that can pass the puck but slow the game down a little. Could Looch not rebound or is he completely hopless? Worst case scenario, the Seattle expansion could help us, but I don't want to get completely screwed on that. Remember Dustin Brown was almost universally looked at the worst contract in the league went from basically 4 straight 30 point seasons, to 61 under a new coach while being on pace for a 55 point season this year at 34 years old.

I like the player, I like the guy, I don't wanna see him leave Edmonton on a sour note, and I sure as hell don't wanna give up a valuable asset for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->