Patriots/NFL Can Jonathan Kraft Keep the Patriots’ Reign Alive?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have known Jonathan Kraft since before the family bought the team. He always comes across as 'the smartest guy in the room' but when younger he was also the bull in a china shop.

He screwed up the proposed stadium in South Boston which this article touches on by deciding since he had the support of Governor Weld he did not need Mayor Menino or Boston City Council President Jimmy Kelly who had power because of his connection to the Bulger brothers. Jonathan needed to take them out to dinner at Amrheins and also invite Congressman Joe Moakley. Now would South Boston be better off today with a stadium complex or what is now called the Seaport District :dunno:

We know the Patriots are going to fall hard in the not so distant future and then Foxborough will become a liability again. ( see 49ers, Cowboys and Redskins )

Jonathan is a visionary - Patriots.com was 10 years ahead of any other team and he convinced his father to move radio from WBZ-AM to WBCN-FM which was a risky move in 1995. When Gillette was built he asked cameramen like myself where should we place cameras and he listened. The setup today is the best in the NFL.

The Patriots of 25-30 years ago were the laughingstock of the NFL and for older fans like myself I can not fathom how 'The Sons of Billy Sullivan' have become the 'Center of the NFL Universe'.

Early 90's NBC had the AFC contract and the Pats network for home games consisted of 3 stations (Springfield, Portland and Bangor) as Boston and Providence were always blacked out and Hartford and Burlington, VT elected to go with the Jets. For years the NBC team that called Pats games were Jay Randolph and Beasley Reece.

It will never get that bad again.

Can Jonathan Kraft Keep the Patriots’ Reign Alive?

Jonathan first showed his willingness to protect—and try to please—his father when the Krafts attempted to build a football stadium in South Boston. Almost from the start, the campaign was a calamity. Southie residents revolted against the project, and as momentum turned against Robert, he made comments that came off as a threat to move the team out of state. House Speaker Tom Finneran called Robert a “whining multimillionaire” and the press lampooned him. As Robert weathered attacks, Jonathan came forward as the family’s public face—and defender. But despite his best efforts, Jonathan did little to smooth things over. In his public remarks, Jonathan came off as someone unwilling to acknowledge any responsibility for the fury directed at him and his father. “I don’t know if it’s anti-Semitism, or anti-Kraftism, or anti-footballism, but it’s really strange,” he told a Globe reporter who wrote that tears welled in his eyes as he spoke. “If they knew my father and what he has accomplished—I mean he is a great man.” At other times, Jonathan came off as entitled: “From our perspective,” he said, “if you’re going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars of your own money, you’d think they’d cut you a little slack.”

When reporters went to see Jonathan in December 1998, after the project had failed, they found a scene that revealed a lot about what drives him. In the basement of a downtown Boston office, the Krafts had spent more than $1 million building a full-scale model of a luxury box like the ones they had planned to sell in the South Boston stadium. The model had a bar, plush leather chairs, mahogany floors, a patio with stadium seats, and a detailed mural simulating a view of the field. Standing in this little monument to Robert’s doomed vision, Jonathan, then 34, was dejected. “I’m personally disappointed because I really wanted this to happen for my dad,” he said. “I feel like I failed and I didn’t get it done.”

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good read thanks Fenway.

The Pats play chess while everyone else plays checkers. I wouldn’t rule out the team remaining good post TB12.

Reactions: rfournier103

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
@Fenway , you have better access to inside information than any of us here. The only thing that I really know about him is that he's very influential at Dexter.

I think, as it does in many cases, that it all comes down to hiring. Generally, the best owners are ones that stay out of the football operations side. Belichick isn't going to be here forever, so the most important decision Jonathan will make as owner is who's going to run the football operations side, whether it's a coach or GM.

I don't know if the expectation really is that McDaniels will takeover for Belichick, but I don't think he has what it takes to lead football operations in addition to coaching.

I would do whatever it takes to keep Caserio in the building. I'd feel pretty good about the future if I knew he was the heir to Belichick.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I started watching in 93, so I never followed them when they were irrelevant.

Having said that, I don’t see them falling that hard.

They’ll be able to ride to coattails of Belichick and his system even if it’s not Belichick calling the shots.

If anything, I can see it being similar to the Carroll years where they’re mediocre to good. Not dominant, but in contention for playoffs/wild card.

Similar to the Steelers where a good year is 11-5 and a down year is 8-8.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I started watching in 93, so I never followed them when they were irrelevant.

Having said that, I don’t see them falling that hard.

They’ll be able to ride to coattails of Belichick and his system even if it’s not Belichick calling the shots.

If anything, I can see it being similar to the Carroll years where they’re mediocre to good. Not dominant, but in contention for playoffs/wild card.

Similar to the Steelers where a good year is 11-5 and a down year is 8-8.
What if the next QB gets ripped apart by the Media and Fan's for not being Brady and it effect's his play Brady and Bill have set near impossible standards to follow up on.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
What if the next QB gets ripped apart by the Media and Fan's for not being Brady and it effect's his play Brady and Bill have set near impossible standards to follow up on.

The media loved Jimmy. Not suggesting they dislike TB12 but they do dislike the hoodie.

In a league where there are organizations like the Jets and the Browns we will be OK. The Colts just gave Hoyer and Brissett a bundle of money and those are 2 of the worst backups TB12 ever had. I wouldn’t rule out finding our Steve Young. And I wouldn’t assume that McDaniels can’t be like BB in his second turn as a head coach.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
We know the Patriots are going to fall hard in the not so distant future and then Foxborough will become a liability again. ( see 49ers, Cowboys and Redskins )

The Patriots will likely regress a little, but what differentiates New England from San Francisco; Dallas; and Washington is competent ownership.

Denise York is clearly not as great at running an NFL franchise as her brother, and Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones are just awful when it comes to selecting good management personnel. I would take Jonathan Kraft over any of those three any day.

All Jonathan has to do is follow the same model the Patriots have been following all along. Put QUALITY people in the top management positions, don’t overspend on one or two players/positions (putting too many eggs in one basket), and let the knowledgeable football people make as many of the football decisions as possible. Granted, there are exceptions (see: Brady, Thomas), but those should be rare.

Foxborough really is the best spot in New England for the Patriots. Equidistant from Boston; Worcester; and Providence. Can you imagine the traffic getting in and out of Boston on Sunday? What about parking and tailgating? Where would the space come from for that?

Had a blast last night and I didn’t mind the drive to or from Foxborough. No big deal to real fans like me.

The Patriots will be just fine for decades to come, and I’m convinced we’ll see more than a couple Super Bowls in the years to come.

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
The Patriots will likely regress a little, but what differentiates New England from San Francisco; Dallas; and Washington is competent ownership.

Denise York is clearly not as great at running an NFL franchise as her brother, and Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones are just awful when it comes to selecting good management personnel. I would take Jonathan Kraft over any of those three any day.

All Jonathan has to do is follow the same model the Patriots have been following all along. Put QUALITY people in the top management positions, don’t overspend on one or two players/positions (putting too many eggs in one basket), and let the knowledgeable football people make as many of the football decisions as possible. Granted, there are exceptions (see: Brady, Thomas), but those should be rare.

Foxborough really is the best spot in New England for the Patriots. Equidistant from Boston; Worcester; and Providence. Can you imagine the traffic getting in and out of Boston on Sunday? What about parking and tailgating? Where would the space come from for that?

Had a blast last night and I didn’t mind the drive to or from Foxborough. No big deal to real fans like me.

The Patriots will be just fine for decades to come, and I’m convinced we’ll see more than a couple Super Bowls in the years to come.

This is a good point. For all the discussion about the failure to get a stadium in South Boston, it might have been the best thing that happened to both the city and the franchise. I'm convinced that for Bill Belichick, having the team based in Foxboro rather than Boston is a feature, not a bug.

Reactions: rfournier103

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The NFL is without a doubt the #1 sport in terms of popularity and investment.

MLB is dying a slow death.

The Patriots’ reign in these parts will be permanent.

I firmly believe that.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Devil's advocate...

The Krafts are widely considered the worst owners (...by far???) in MLS, and the Revolution are largely Jonathan's responsibility.

Makes you wonder exactly how much of the Patriots' success the Krafts are responsible for. Or at least how much of what makes Bob a great owner has transferred to Jonathan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad