Can I get an update?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I’m back.

I haven’t followed the team all season, can I get an update on what’s been happening throughout the league and the team? All I know is that Larkin has been performing at a 1c level and Yzerman might be coming back.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Kids got experience, playing time and yada yada whatever the anti tank crowd says

We sucked all season and decided to go on a streak in the last stretch and Chicago jumped 9 spots in the draft

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
This sums it up nicely:

Wahmbulance.png

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Won a few. Lost many. Went on a nice tear in the final 10 games and dropped in the lottery. Hirose was a great fresh outta college signing. The future might not be as bleak as we thought.

Tyler Bertuzzi is the man.

This was another thing I was wondering. Looking at the stats he looks like he’s a first liner. Is that the case? Also looking at the stats it looks like Hronek might be a future top pair dman or maybe a really good number 3. What’s going on there?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This was another thing I was wondering. Looking at the stats he looks like he’s a first liner. Is that the case? Also looking at the stats it looks like Hronek might be a future top pair dman or maybe a really good number 3. What’s going on there?

Little Bert is a first line in the way Tomas Holmstrom was a first liner. He's skilled enough to keep up, but he isn't a drive the bus first line guy. He does stuff most first liners don't deign to do which makes him invaluable on one.

Think Pat Verbeek. Pest, but skilled. He's not as hateful as the Little Ball of Hate, but he's that kind of player. Like end of his career Verbeek though. Little Bert doesn't have as high a ceiling as Verbeek did, like he's not going to end his career with over 1000 points, but he's a very good pesky player.

Reactions: FMichael

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

He's a guy who will fit no matter where you put him, but isn't a first liner in his own right.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The team went on a super hot streak at the end and now we think we're the next TB. Mantha and Bertuzzi are legit first line wingers now, it is said.

We learned nothing from Rasmussen's crazy point streak in the WHL playoffs the other year. But if we're patient enough, he'll find his elite puck skills yet. Just you wait.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
we're rebuilding. We're going to be rebuilding until we win the draft lottery. So far, we've dropped in the draft three seasons in a row. Hopefully we can win next year so we can get an elite player and begin thinking of the playoffs again. The other option is managing to draft an elite player outside of the top 5 like the Canucks did with petterson. That's about as equally likely as winning the lottery. So we'll just keep rebuilding for now.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
People get too caught up in the 1st line, 2nd line crap. Very rarely does an NHL coach put their 3 best forwards on line 1.

So no, Mantha or Bertuzzi aren't "1st line players" in the sense that they are going to carry the 1st line on their own and dominate. But they are players that they can hold their own on a 1st line and not look out of place.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The team went on a super hot streak at the end and now we think we're the next TB. Mantha and Bertuzzi are legit first line wingers now, it is said.

We learned nothing from Rasmussen's crazy point streak in the WHL playoffs the other year. But if we're patient enough, he'll find his elite puck skills yet. Just you wait.
We learned he shouldn't go back to juniors.

Dylan Larkin was amazing, almost ppg tenacious 2-way player against top lines and he played through multiple injuries (strained neck, strained oblique) toward the end of the year.

I also learned people like to complain a lot.

Reactions: opivy

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
We suck. Picking 6th again. Blashill back. So is Holland, Howard and probably Kronwall. Can you feel the enthusiasm?:party:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
As seen in this thread, Bertuzzi is second best player on the team and younger than all of the rest of the "top young guys", but he doesn't have fancy stick-handling so people hesitate to jump on the bandwagon

You still have a chance to get in early. He's a superstar in the league. Hop on.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
we're rebuilding. We're going to be rebuilding until we win the draft lottery. So far, we've dropped in the draft three seasons in a row. Hopefully we can win next year so we can get an elite player and begin thinking of the playoffs again. The other option is managing to draft an elite player outside of the top 5 like the Canucks did with petterson. That's about as equally likely as winning the lottery. So we'll just keep rebuilding for now.

On this note... I was excited about Zadina, but I'm starting to feel regret the Wings passed on Quinn Hughes.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm starting to think nobody should listen to what people say other people's opinions are.

My post was pretty obviously hyperbolic salt talking.

Real talk though, the Wings are a one line team right now. They are going to add a very good prospect in the draft and have a good deal of money coming off the books.
Hirose was good found money, but realistically, he's probably a 30 point winger in the mold of a guy like Mattias Janmark or Calle Jarnkrok.

They were not as bad as they appeared for most of this year, nor were they as good as 8-2 in the last ten. They'll see improvement because they will sign a few guys (think Myers, Gardiner, or whatever good top 6 winger is in FA) but they'll still be in the bottom third of the league. If a Podkolzin, Dach, or Cozens comes in and is gangbusters, maybe they see the bubble.

Sparkzuk

Jan 13, 2016

After tonight I can see us being the new TB. We were pretty good at first round losses 4/5 years ago. :D

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Has any big trades happened besides Karlsson to SJ?

Vegas acquired Mark Stone at the deadline.
CBJ acquired Matt Duchene at the deadline.

Smaller but the Leafs picked up Jake Muzzin shortly before the deadline.

We picked up Bowey and a 2nd for Jensen and a 5th.
Sent Nyquist to SJ for 2nd and a 3rd.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Larkin looks like a legit 1st line center and the captain of this team.

Mantha is streaky, but had a good year.

AA emerged big time this year.

Ditto Bertuzzi.

Hirose looks like a keeper.

Rest of our offense can be launched into the sun.

Hronek looks like the real deal.

Rasmussen and Cholowski had a lot of growing pains.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Most importantly, Kronwall felt like a gambling man and started trying to blast people into the stratosphere if they attempted to exit the zone with their head down. If he does retire, I'm glad he went out in a season where he played like we will all remember him.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->