Can Holtby Lead The Caps to a Cup?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
He can win a SC, but not with the Caps. The Winnipeg game is an example of talent winning games despite having any defensive help. Pathetic how bad the defense is.

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
Sure you are right. Its all Hillens fault that he let Asham get a shot on net from the top of the face off circle.

Face it, Holtby routinely gets beat by slapshots he sees the whole damn way.

Not too sure what goal you are referring to, but most of the shots that have gone in this year are because of the players in front of him. Offensive included. Every player is routinely out of position on the caps this year in the D zone.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
He can lead Blackhwaks to cup. Probably also Bruins and Blues. 'Mcphee-powered-by-Capitals'? Lol.

Burakovsky95*

Not too sure what goal you are referring to, but most of the shots that have gone in this year are because of the players in front of him. Offensive included. Every player is routinely out of position on the caps this year in the D zone.

Asham's goal in game 7 last year

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
Asham's goal in game 7 last year

Why even bother bringing up a goal from last season/playoffs? IMO it was a nice shot, and it's not like he played terrible in the game. The caps sh** the bed in game 7 (offensively and defensively), and partly in game 6 (even though Lundqvist played lights out).

Holtby has played really well in the playoffs. They lose series because of the team in front of him either not scoring enough goals, or having defensive lapses (this includes forwards not helping out on D).

This team was built incorrectly and will be built incorrectly in the future unless the caps get rid of GMGM.

This team needs to get better with the D zone coverage or it doesn't matter who is net, they will likely never win a cup. And as I said above, this includes forwards, as mainly the first line has trouble getting the puck out of the zone at times or they don't cover the opposing D that well, or the centers don't cover the correct guy in the slot.

I believe the first line has a lot of goals against because Ovie has no idea what to in the D zone (IMO it causes Mojo and backstrom to run around at times), especially 4 on 4. It pains me when the caps are playing 4 and 4 and Ovie is out, because he has absolutely no idea who to cover or where to go to positionally in the D zone.

InfernalDark*

holtby-new-mask.jpg

Winter Classic mask.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
can any young goalie lead a team to a cup?

I saw Cam Ward do it with pretty much a scrub D corp not too long ago.

When a geriatric Glen Wesley and Brett Hedican are your best D then you have issues back there.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I saw Cam Ward do it with pretty much a scrub D corp not too long ago.

When a geriatric Glen Wesley and Brett Hedican are your best D then you have issues back there.

Um...Wesley, Hedican, Ward, Commodore was better than any D we've iced in 15 years.

edit: AND T-vo and Kaberle. That was a strong, great skating (minus Commodore) group.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Um...Wesley, Hedican, Ward, Commodore was better than any D we've iced in 15 years.

edit: AND T-vo and Kaberle. That was a strong, great skating (minus Commodore) group.

I don't know about that. A lot of guys running out of gas there and not a strong group at all. Maybe more depth than we have now but I wouldn't take any of them over Carlson or Alzner in terms of all around play and Green crushes Tevordosky/F Kaberle offensively. They did have more experience on the bottom end.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I don't know about that. A lot of guys running out of gas there and not a strong group at all. Maybe more depth than we have now but I wouldn't take any of them over Carlson or Alzner in terms of all around play and Green crushes Tevordosky/F Kaberle offensively. They did have more experience on the bottom end.

The only thing Mike Green crushes is diet Red Bull Vodkas. Current status: goalless and injured.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The question is whether Holtby is capable. He certainly has the talent and is still raw but he has shown flashes of dominating. Just needs to be a bit more consistent and that will come with experience.

We do need more experienced D in front of him of that there is no doubt.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The only thing Mike Green crushes is diet Red Bull Vodkas. Current status: goalless and injured.

:laugh:

Holtby is capable of hot streaks but he's had a few meltdowns in critical games that are concerning. If this continues, then no.

But yeah, the defense is a far more pressing matter.

Burakovsky95*

Why even bother bringing up a goal from last season/playoffs? IMO it was a nice shot, and it's not like he played terrible in the game. The caps sh** the bed in game 7 (offensively and defensively), and partly in game 6 (even though Lundqvist played lights out).

Holtby has played really well in the playoffs. They lose series because of the team in front of him either not scoring enough goals, or having defensive lapses (this includes forwards not helping out on D).

This team was built incorrectly and will be built incorrectly in the future unless the caps get rid of GMGM.

This team needs to get better with the D zone coverage or it doesn't matter who is net, they will likely never win a cup. And as I said above, this includes forwards, as mainly the first line has trouble getting the puck out of the zone at times or they don't cover the opposing D that well, or the centers don't cover the correct guy in the slot.

I believe the first line has a lot of goals against because Ovie has no idea what to in the D zone (IMO it causes Mojo and backstrom to run around at times), especially 4 on 4. It pains me when the caps are playing 4 and 4 and Ovie is out, because he has absolutely no idea who to cover or where to go to positionally in the D zone.

I was just answering his question...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->