Can Giordano be the first 35+ yo D since Lidstrom to hit 55pts? UPD: Can he break the 35+ D record?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
From 2013 to 2016 with TJ Brodie as his partner, Mark Giordano posted 151 points in 207 games, which on average is 60 points a season.

The last two years, those counting stats were not there, as the Flames' coach Glen Gulutzan elected to have Giordano instead play a Hjalmarsson type shutdown role next to Dougie Hamilton. While Giordano did score goals at a steady rate (13 and 12 goals the last two years) his assists dried up big time in this more mechanical role he was playing.

With the changing of the coach and the return of the Giordano-Brodie pair, Mark Giordano is up to 14 points in 14 games this season, and that should actually change to 15 points in 14 games as there was an assist blatantly discredited in last night's game.

He would thus need 40 points in the next 68 games to hit the 55 point mark.

The last Dman to hit 55+ points as a 35 or over was Lidstrom at age 40 in 2010-11 when he posted 16g and 46a for 62 points. Before that, Chris Pronger in 2009-10 had exactly 55 points at age 35.

In addition to having a great offensive season, Giordano continues to be an absolute rock defensively. If he keeps this up he will finally have the Norris Trophy that eluded him in 2014-15 due to injury.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
From 2013 to 2016 with TJ Brodie as his partner, Mark Giordano posted 151 points in 207 games, which on average is 60 points a season.

The last two years, those counting stats were not there, as the Flames' coach Glen Gulutzan elected to have Giordano instead play a Hjalmarsson type shutdown role next to Dougie Hamilton. While Giordano did score goals at a steady rate (13 and 12 goals the last two years) his assists dried up big time in this more mechanical role he was playing.

With the changing of the coach and the return of the Giordano-Brodie pair, Mark Giordano is up to 14 points in 14 games this season, and that should actually change to 15 points in 14 games as there was an assist blatantly discredited in last night's game.

He would thus need 40 points in the next 68 games to hit the 55 point mark.

The last Dman to hit 55+ points as a 35 or over was Lidstrom at age 40 in 2010-11 when he posted 16g and 46a for 62 points. Before that, Chris Pronger in 2009-10 had exactly 55 points at age 35.

In addition to having a great offensive season, Giordano continues to be an absolute rock defensively. If he keeps this up he will finally have the Norris Trophy that eluded him in 2014-15 due to injury.

I like everything about this post, except the Norris guarantee at the end. He could be in consideration, yes. He's a great player. But even if he hits 55 points, it's not a sure thing. Nothing ever is.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I like everything about this post, except the Norris guarantee at the end. He could be in consideration, yes. He's a great player. But even if he hits 55 points, it's not a sure thing. Nothing ever is.

Not a guarantee but the media would eat it up. His age and the fact that it is viewed that he lost one due to injuries. Just screams career award.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I did say "if he keeps this up", which if he does he would have 88 points and be +58

Reactions: zaqq

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To answer the premise in the title, yes.

He'll need to do a lot better than 55 points to be considered for the Norris, though. If you aren't in the running to start the season, you have a higher bar to clear. John Carlson would currently be ahead of him in the race, for sure.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Yes, now that the Flames have an elite center in Jankowski as you relentlessly argued and predicted. Jankowskis production should boost Giordanos numbers to 55 points easily.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I said that his offensive production would jump up again now that Dougie was gone, but he's gone above and beyond what I could have hoped for. He looks so damn good out there in every way.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would love to see Gio earn a Norris before he retires, I don’t think the man gets enough respect from fans other then flames fans

Well. Of course.
We're the small Canadian group on this forum. The majority of Flames internet posters aren't on HF. Almost no one watched a lot of our games except really Edmonton fans because we kind of lineup each-others broadcasts a lot.

We're in this weird world, where Oiler fans have started defending us, and that's truly amazing :laugh:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I was not aware that Lidstrom was the only 35+ years old to hit 55 points, that's amazing.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I was not aware that Lidstrom was the only 35+ years old to hit 55 points, that's amazing.
"Since Lidström". Doesn't mean he's the only one but he is the last one.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Not a guarantee but the media would eat it up. His age and the fact that it is viewed that he lost one due to injuries. Just screams career award.

I don't know if either of those two narratives get much play. 35 isn't that old for an elite defenseman (there's been 8 seasons of a 35+ year old winning it), and while Gio looked like the front runner in '14 before he got hurt, I don't think many outside of Calgary fans and HF level league fans really paid enough attention to even remember. Gio's never really been in the spotlight enough for that.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
"Since Lidström". Doesn't mean he's the only one but he is the last one.

Yeah it doesn't seem like a particularly unattainable feat for a certain class of good offensive defensemen. There's probably 10 guys in the league who will still be scoring in that range at that age...Legendary NHLer Mark Streit notched 52 at age 37 a few years ago.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Yeah it doesn't seem like a particularly unattainable feat for a certain class of good offensive defensemen. There's probably 10 guys in the league who will still be scoring in that range at that age...Legendary NHLer Mark Streit notched 52 at age 37 a few years ago.

Can Giordano be the first 35+ yo D since Mark Streit to hit 55pts?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't know if either of those two narratives get much play. 35 isn't that old for an elite defenseman (there's been 8 seasons of a 35+ year old winning it), and while Gio looked like the front runner in '14 before he got hurt, I don't think many outside of Calgary fans and HF level league fans really paid enough attention to even remember. Gio's never really been in the spotlight enough for that.

Al MacInnis and Lidstrom, prreeetty good company for the last 50 years haha.

You don't think the media remembers 2014? f***ing Bob McKenzie giving his opinion would probably be enough to sway half the GTA members. 16th (how Hamilton was ahead of him is insane), 8th, 13th, 6th, 10th in voting for the last 5 years. With injuries for two years and becoming a stay at home guy with Hamilton.

He scores 55-60 points and we make the playoffs and it's a layup.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yes, now that the Flames have an elite center in Jankowski as you relentlessly argued and predicted. Jankowskis production should boost Giordanos numbers to 55 points easily.

I don’t know if you saw the highlight pack last night but this won’t be possible

RIP Mark Jankowski

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

It’s a strange situation, because Giordano is a throwback defenceman in that he hits hard, he blocks shots, and he’s punishing to play against. But he’s also an adept puck mover and has scored an average of almost 16 goals per 82 games over the last five years. Giordano is the bridge between the bruising defenders of the early 2000s and the smooth puck-movers of the modern NHL. He’s probably many people’s idea of the perfect defenceman, and yet he doesn’t get much hype, despite playing in a Canadian market.

Heck, he plays in the home of Hockey Canada, which is headquartered in Calgary and runs its summer programs there, yet he’s been looked over in the past for inferior players like Jay Bouwmeester as recently as the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.

It doesn’t make much sense, and he’s a player we could appreciate a lot more than we do. At 35-years-old, we won’t get to watch him forever.

Is Flames' Giordano the NHL's most underrated elite defenceman? - Sportsnet.ca

*sniff*

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad