Can Freddy get the Leafs single season wins record this year?

Will Freddy beat the record

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I was starting a new thread about this, but checked and found this one already exists.

He currently sits at 32 wins with a record of 32-18-5 in 56 games.

That means he needs 5 more to tie, and 6 more to win it. The Leafs have 14 more games this season, only 1 set of B2B. I think it's gonna happen. There's 6 wins in here:

10-Mar Pittsburgh Penguins
14-Mar Dallas Stars
15-Mar @ Buffalo Sabres
17-Mar Montreal Canadiens
20-Mar @ Tampa Bay Lightning
22-Mar @ Nashville Predators
24-Mar Detroit Red Wings
26-Mar Buffalo Sabres
28-Mar Florida Panthers
30-Mar @ New York Islanders
31-Mar Winnipeg Jets
02-Apr Buffalo Sabres
05-Apr @ New Jersey Devils
07-Apr Montreal Canadiens

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
But my point is why were the Leafs bothering to get Raycroft?
JFJ wanted a Calder Trophy winner :sarcasm: :laugh:

Regarding the poll, I believe Fred will beat the record. Lots of games left, even though he won't start all of them (McElhinney + rest for Fred) he has enough opportunity to set his own record. Can't wait until he beats it, so sick of that record being held by Raycrap :facepalm:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Nationality may have played into it as well.

But once again, people falling into the WJHC trap.
Nationality was also a big motivator for Boston, who was high on Hannu Toivonen at the time and liked the idea of a Finnish goalie to work with him.

Funny that Thomas ended up being the starter for the next 5-6 years.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Nationality was also a big motivator for Boston, who was high on Hannu Toivonen at the time and liked the idea of a Finnish goalie to work with him.

It would be interesting to plunk Tuukka down in AR's spot and see what happens. How much is simply him and how much is the team in front of him.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Nationality may have played into it as well.

But once again, people falling into the WJHC trap.

Leafs were generally ahead of the game early on with international players, but there was the time when they took 4 belleville bulls in the same draft because Ballard refused to pay for a scouting staff.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It would be interesting to plunk Tuukka down in AR's spot and see what happens. How much is simply him and how much is the team in front of him.
Today or then? Then Tukka was still 2-3 years away and that was an issue, but you could plunk him in now and see little to no difference in performance from Freddy IMO.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Today or then? Then Tukka was still 2-3 years away and that was an issue, but you could plunk him in now and see little to no difference in performance from Freddy IMO.
I meant then (ish). More or less, had we kept him instead of Pogge, how would it have worked out. Not sure we'd be talking about Rask in the same manner we do now.
Know our management, we'd have given up on him and he'd have moved on and become what he is now anyway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

That's what I recall. Boston wanted Rask over Pogge, Toronto didn't choose Pogge over Rask.

Looks like they may have finally gotten it right with the Andersen though, long time coming.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Rest the guy...he's hit a wall. Stop playing him. Who cares about personal accomplishments. It's about winning a series.

He'll have 4 days off between last game and Saturday's game, and will have 3 more nights until the following game after that. Plus he had 4 days rest last week between the Tampa game and the Washington game.

He should be rested after this stretch.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Rumours had Detroit (maybe Ottawa?) offering a first, so not likely.

Did a little research, there was an article from the Toronto sun by Simmonds that said Bruins were ready to put Raycroft on waivers at the time so that's where I got that idea stuck in my head. The fact that it's from the Toronto Sun and written by Steve Simmons though pretty much destroys any possibility that it was correct.

I did find an old Bruins post that claimed that it was between Rask and Tlusty. (sp) That does nothing to help my opinion of JFJ though.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I would love to see Raycroft lose that spot

I actually kinda like that he is still in the recordbooks. I've always been a Rayzor fan. Can't really explain why, though.

But I will be happy when Andersen gets that distinction. He's possibly my favourite goalie in the NHL at the moment.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I actually kinda like that he is still in the recordbooks. I've always been a Rayzor fan. Can't really explain why, though.

But I will be happy when Andersen gets that distinction. He's possibly my favourite goalie in the NHL at the moment.

I don't necessarily hate Raycroft, its more of a dislike of the time frame for the Leafs in general. I just want this new guard to start taking records!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad