News Article: Can Flyers' Mason overcome humiliating goal?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Oh boy.. Puts up over a .920 sv% over a 3 yr span... Gets told he is alittle above average.

Started to read this thread and saw some of the stuff being posted so decided to skim... Has stats regarding the team infront of Mason being brought up or no? Especially advanced stats? Saying a goalie is bad and not backing it up with anything but "my eyes say so" is facebook flyers fan worthy.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Oh boy.. Puts up over a .920 sv% over a 3 yr span... Gets told he is alittle above average.

Started to read this thread and saw some of the stuff being posted so decided to skim... Has stats regarding the team infront of Mason being brought up or no? Especially advanced stats? Saying a goalie is bad and not backing it up with anything but "my eyes say so" is facebook flyers fan worthy.

You don't need advanced stats to see he's playing bad, you just need to watch the goals he's letting in. Do you need to see the corsi to tell you that you can't let in dump ins from the red line? If anything, advanced stats are in our favor since we've outshot them. We could compare Mason's stats to Holtby's, but it isn't going to look good.

He's letting in very soft goals. It's not even debatable, he's playing very very poorly.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Ok sucks forsure but he's gotta track the long points shots better and 1 bad goal at anytime when the other team is stingy kills the team. That ovi goal killed them.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
You don't need advanced stats to see he's playing bad, you just need to watch the goals he's letting in. Do you need to see the corsi to tell you that you can't let in dump ins from the red line?

He's letting in very soft goals. It's not even debatable, he's playing very very poorly.

Of course the soft goals are bad. What about the goals that typically goalies dont save that he did? How do you count those (because he has made quite a few of those also)

Im not saying he is playing great these playoffs, but he's not the only reason we are down 3-0. The team defense and pk are looking like one of the worse in the NHL. That is also not very debatable.

Last edited:

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Of course the soft goals are bad. What about the goals that typically goalies dont save that he did? How do you count those (because he has made quite a few of those also)

Im not saying he is playing great these playoffs, but he's not the only reason we are down 3-0. The team defense and pk are looking like one of the worse in the NHL. That is also not very debatable.

Honestly, it doesn't matter that he's making the hard saves when he's letting in soft goals. If anything, it's more deflating for the team because you don't know what he's going to save and what he's going to let in.

The team defense is good enough at 5v5 surprisingly. The PK is awful, but like people say, your goalie needs to be your best PKer and Mason has likely been our worst.

I'm not arguing Mason is a bad goalie, but he's had an awful series, likely won't see another game, and has really let the team and fans down. Pretty stark contrast from the 13-14 series.

I will argue that he's not as good a starter as many people here seem to think though. That one season at .928 doesn't put him in elite company, he hasn't even broken .920 over a season other than that one. There's at least 3 clearly better goalies in the division, and many more in the league.

This series raises some serious questions about Mason. If he plays like this when we're actually ready to contend, it could sink us. I'm not saying we should trade him, but maybe not give him a 7 year deal either.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It takes a Milbury-level intellect to watch the Capitals get to do whatever they want on the PPs in games 2 and 3 with almost zero pressure either at the points or in front of the net, and conclude it's the goalie's fault.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It takes a Milbury-level intellect to watch the Capitals get to do whatever they want on the PPs in games 2 and 3 with almost zero pressure either at the points or in front of the net, and conclude it's the goalie's fault.

Seriously. My anger is toward Lappy who WANTS them to play like that.

Reality is, we are worse team at F and G...and yet at ES the goals are 4-2...1 being the fluke goal.

I know Lappy didn't change things up after the 6th PP goal, or 7th, maybe he will now that 8 PP goals in 3 games have happened.

Or you know...stop taking penalties so that target practice can be cancelled.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Seriously. My anger is toward Lappy who WANTS them to play like that.

Reality is, we are worse team at F and G...and yet at ES the goals are 4-2...1 being the fluke goal.

I know Lappy didn't change things up after the 6th PP goal, or 7th, maybe he will now that 8 PP goals in 3 games have happened.

Or you know...stop taking penalties so that target practice can be cancelled.

It has been without a doubt the worst PK I have ever seen a team employ in a playoff round.

No attempts to move the body in front that is taking Masons eyes. No attempts to pressure the point men. No attempt to neutralize Ovechkin and force other Caps to beat them.

Lappy is the worst PK coach in team history.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The scary thing is that the PK is much worse than in the regular season. Like they brainstormed and came up with a new plan to take on the Caps PP, except it doesn't even work as well as the old one. :help:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The scary thing is that the PK is much worse than in the regular season. Like they brainstormed and came up with a new plan to take on the Caps PP, except it doesn't even work as well as the old one. :help:

Yep. They have been EVEN MORE passive in the playoffs. My guess is that they are just scared ****less of Ovechkin.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

Or maybe you could watch the goals and watch Mason fail at saves he should be making. It's as simple as that.

The PK is atrocious, yes, but that doesn't mean the goals that Mason let in weren't his fault. None of them were impossible saves other than maybe that Johansson deflection. In fact, most of them you would expect him to make.

At some point bad play has to be on Mason, but you guys continue to have to find every other reason under the sun for why he's letting in bad goals.

I mean, I don't like arguing that our goalie is playing badly but there's some serious denial going on. You can't just absolve him of blame cause the rest of the team is dropping the ball too. You hold everyone accountable.

Yep. They have been EVEN MORE passive in the playoffs. My guess is that they are just scared ****less of Ovechkin.

You have to think they're being told to play a passive box to block cross-slot passes and point shots. Also just assigning Schultz/Gudas to block Ovi shots. Except it just lets them have free reign to pass around the umbrella, and it's clearly playing to Mason's weakness in that he isn't fighting enough to look around the bodies sitting passively in front of him. Those Carlson goals should not happen, but Mason just drops to the ice and hopes the shot hits him instead of fighting to see the shot. On his last one, Carlson had like an open foot of net from the right post to shoot at (edit: that was the 4-on-3, may have been thinking of a different goal, but don't have time to look it up atm). I blame Lappy more than anyone for the awful PK, but Mason is at fault as well. He's never been a good PK goalie anyway, he excels at ES.

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Or maybe you could watch the goals and watch Mason fail at saves he should be making. It's as simple as that.

The PK is atrocious, yes, but that doesn't mean the goals that Mason let in weren't his fault. None of them were impossible saves other than maybe that Johansson deflection. In fact, most of them you would expect him to make.

At some point bad play has to be on Mason, but you guys continue to have to find every other reason under the sun for why he's letting in bad goals.

I mean, I don't like arguing that our goalie is playing badly but there's some serious denial going on. You can't just absolve him of blame cause the rest of the team is dropping the ball too. You hold everyone accountable.

You have to think they're being told to play a passive box to block cross-slot passes and point shots. Also just assigning Schultz/Gudas to block Ovi shots. Except it just lets them have free reign to pass around the umbrella, and it's clearly playing to Mason's weakness in that he isn't fighting enough to look around the bodies sitting passively in front of him. Those Carlson goals should not happen, but Mason just drops to the ice and hopes the shot hits him instead of fighting to see the shot. On his last one, Carlson had like an open foot of net from the right post to shoot at (edit: that was the 4-on-3, may have been thinking of a different goal, but don't have time to look it up atm). I blame Lappy more than anyone for the awful PK, but Mason is at fault as well. He's never been a good PK goalie anyway, he excels at ES.
ES goalie. Not that great on 2 on 1's and terrible on Breakaways. He's a good goalie though when it's just shots. When we scored the first goal then took that penalty he needed to come up big and he was too far in his net on the tip.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
you people realize that you can still like Steve Mason and not be happy about his playoff performance...

yes we are not scoring, yes the kill isnt great, but soft goals are CRIPPLING to a team who is struggling to score, and not to be a total cliche but your goaltender is your best penalty killer. He simply has not been good enough this series. could he be burnt out from the run? i dont know but he needs to be better

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
you people realize that you can still like Steve Mason and not be happy about his playoff performance...

yes we are not scoring, yes the kill isnt great, but soft goals are CRIPPLING to a team who is struggling to score, and not to be a total cliche but your goaltender is your best penalty killer. He simply has not been good enough this series. could he be burnt out from the run? i dont know but he needs to be better

nothing wrong with your opinion. hes a good guy, but has been vastly outplayed by Holtby

Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
I literally don't care, give someone else a chance because the Mason experiment has failed. Neuvirth, stolarz, whoever. Look at those stats! That's for his entire career! Newsflash, we're still "lost in the woods". Meanwhile, I feel bad for nick Schultz. Must be disheartening to block like 10 ovechkin blasts only to see Mason let him score on a weak wrist shot from five feet inside the blueline

Yes. because what the flyers really need is another goalie contrevesy. And you don't care who they replace him with? LOL, Neuvirth has great numbers, if you ignore games missed due to injury. We would be starting Emery 86% of the time if you had your way. And what on Earth makes you think Stolarz is going to be any better than Mason? You know something everyone else in the organization, and the rest of us fans don't?

PensBrony 6 9*

Yes. because what the flyers really need is another goalie contrevesy. And you don't care who they replace him with? LOL, Neuvirth has great numbers, if you ignore games missed due to injury. We would be starting Emery 86% of the time if you had your way. And what on Earth makes you think Stolarz is going to be any better than Mason? You know something everyone else in the organization, and the rest of us fans don't?

Looks like the organization agreed with me, starting Neuvirth tonight ;)

Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
Looks like the organization agreed with me, starting Neuvirth tonight ;)

Oh, they fired Mason? Announced that Neuvirth is now there #1 for next year? Or they figured maybe Mason was tired from all of those back to backs, and made the correct call, and gave Neuvirth a call? Hrmmmm, I wonder which one it could be. The flyers just won , I really don't care to talk to you anymore, you are pretty clearly delusional, and looking for "internet wins". I'm not interested in playing that game, sorry.:yo:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pretty weird that some people can't see the obvious truth that we need both these guys on the team unless and until Stolarz or Lyon shows they are ready to play 20+ NHL games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yup. Nothing wrong with having 2 good goalies. Allowing only 1 PP helps too tonight.

People forget that the backup Darling played 5 games for the Hawks last year on the way to a cup. Without him, they likely don't win.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Nevertheless, next summer will be interesting with both goalies playing new contracts. Can/will we re-sign both? Probably not if both are looking for a raise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad