Can Czech Republic beat Russia?

Pyke*

That would guarantee the Russians end up in the relegation round. We all know the Czech's are going to come out flying against the Russians (strong rivalry)...both teams will be on the 2nd of a back to back, though Russia draws Norway in the first game while the Czech's draw Sweden.

Anyone think it's plausible?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
it's possible. Czechs will need some seriously good defensive play and better goaltending though.

RedwingsnCudi13

Aug 25, 2010
it's possible. Czechs will need some seriously good defensive play and better goaltending though.

I hope are starting goalie plays better IMO Novotney let in some weak ones in the game against Canada we also have too be more disciplined penalties killed us against a good Canada team and will most likely do the same againt the Swedes and Russia

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I hope are starting goalie plays better IMO Novotney let in some weak ones in the game against Canada we also have too be more disciplined penalties killed us against a good Canada team and will most likely do the same againt the Swedes and Russia

This would not have been a problem if the Czechs had just taken Petr Mrazek but for some unknown reason, they decided against this.

No, I really don't foresee a circumstance wherein the Czechs will triumph. I realize a lot of people will respond to that with "we would have said the same thing about the Swiss last year". I think the key difference between the two does ultimately come down to goaltending. There was reason to believe that Benjamin Conz could put up that kind of performance. I don't think the Czechs have that kind of goaltending to fall back on to counter the Russian offence.

RedwingsnCudi13

Aug 25, 2010
This would not have been a problem if the Czechs had just taken Petr Mrazek but for some unknown reason, they decided against this.

No, I really don't foresee a circumstance wherein the Czechs will triumph. I realize a lot of people will respond to that with "we would have said the same thing about the Swiss last year". I think the key difference between the two does ultimately come down to goaltending. There was reason to believe that Benjamin Conz could put up that kind of performance. I don't think the Czechs have that kind of goaltending to fall back on to counter the Russian offence.

It was not the czechs decision not to take him his old team back in czech did not let him play at the wjc because he left them to come to ottawa 67's in the ohl.

member 30781

The way the Russians are playing, the Czechs deserve to beat them.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
It was not the czechs decision not to take him his old team back in czech did not let him play at the wjc because he left them to come to ottawa 67's in the ohl.

Yup. Go Vítkovice! We love ya;) And to the question - yes, it is possible. IMO we need:

1) a top performance from Mazanec in goal and our d-men
2) better PP and PK:help:
3) a top performance from another line beside the one with Honejsek

It´s not that much...is it?:)

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I haven't read up on the situation at all, but why exactly does his old Czech club team have any say in him playing in the WJC, he's now no longer a part of the team so they shouldn't have any say, it's not like he's playing for them and they thought he was too vital to the team to release, if they had a say in anything it would be not allowing him to go to the CHL if he belonged to them, the WJC is totally unrelated in my mind, can someone explain this to me?

And yes I believe the Czechs can beat the Russians but absolutely everything has to go right for them, the Russians had absolutely no finnish against the Swedes, a lot of that was the result of the Sweden goalie but they should have scored regardless, if the Russians are off their game and the Czechs come to play I can see it happening, otherwise, I highly doubt it

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Of course we can, but we need the game similar to 2010 WC final. And we need Russians to start panic soon! :)

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Yes.

I don't know what is wrong with the Russian team, but CR has been great at this tournament.

Two teams going in opposite directions.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
The way the Russians are playing, the Czechs deserve to beat them.

Too harsh IMO. Russia was not bad at all against Sweden. And it is not really the players' fault that the defense after Orlov and Zaitsev is talentless and atrocious. Blame the coaches and Medvedev (who runs Russian hockey).

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Too harsh IMO. Russia was not bad at all against Sweden. And it is not really the players' fault that the defense after Orlov and Zaitsev is talentless and atrocious. Blame the coaches and Medvedev (who runs Russian hockey).
I think this quote is hilarious. It's not the player's fault that the players suck? Pretty sure it is!

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I think this quote is hilarious. It's not the player's fault that the players suck? Pretty sure it is!
Players are not to blame. They actually played up to their capabilities. The players did not choke or play particularly bad. This team's defense just does not have the talent to be more effective.

It is not the players' fault, but the blame lies on Russian hockey federation and on the KHL for failing to develop better talent.

RedwingsnCudi13

Aug 25, 2010
I haven't read up on the situation at all, but why exactly does his old Czech club team have any say in him playing in the WJC, he's now no longer a part of the team so they shouldn't have any say, it's not like he's playing for them and they thought he was too vital to the team to release, if they had a say in anything it would be not allowing him to go to the CHL if he belonged to them, the WJC is totally unrelated in my mind, can someone explain this to me?

And yes I believe the Czechs can beat the Russians but absolutely everything has to go right for them, the Russians had absolutely no finnish against the Swedes, a lot of that was the result of the Sweden goalie but they should have scored regardless, if the Russians are off their game and the Czechs come to play I can see it happening, otherwise, I highly doubt it

His club team in Cze wants 200 000 $ for him leaving for the evaluation camp in 2009 he will need to pay 200 000 to play in the wjc and pay 200 000 to his team when he signs his nhl contract.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

That would guarantee the Russians end up in the relegation round. We all know the Czech's are going to come out flying against the Russians (strong rivalry)...both teams will be on the 2nd of a back to back, though Russia draws Norway in the first game while the Czech's draw Sweden.

Anyone think it's plausible?

From what I have seen, and I was at both games, no. I thought Russia was the better team - by far.

Having said that, I am assuming (and maybe I will be wrong) that Canada will finish first in our pool and most likely face the 3rd place team on our side of the bracket, so...

While I don't think the Czechs will win, I hope they do.

:)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

tell more...

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
His club team in Cze wants 200 000 $ for him leaving for the evaluation camp in 2009 he will need to pay 200 000 to play in the wjc and pay 200 000 to his team when he signs his nhl contract.

I'm guessing what the other poster was saying, and what I'm wondering, is why the hell does the Czech National program care what the other team wants. I want $10 million from Team Canada and $10 million from Ryan Murray before Team Canada can pick him next year. That should have as much bearing as what Vitkovice wants.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
tell more...

I guess you know Russian hockey enough to know what he means. About coaches: think last year's Plyuschev :shakehead
About Medvedev: well, I'd have to talk for 4 hours. Let's just say 1 thing. Instead of drooling over HK Lev and wasting money over such crapshoot, allot money for junior hockey and we'll get back to the true elite level like we used to be

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I guess you know Russian hockey enough to know what he means. About coaches: think last year's Plyuschev :shakehead
About Medvedev: well, I'd have to talk for 4 hours. Let's just say 1 thing. Instead of drooling over HK Lev and wasting money over such crapshoot, allot money for junior hockey and we'll get back to the true elite level like we used to be

yes, I know about these problems of russian hockey. As I follow MHL I think it is good for developing young players in Russia but not enough, it is only first step.

About LEV, I am for it. And yes, I know reasons why Russians are against it.

As I know, RHF has discussed problems.. or not? new rinks in non-hockey regions of Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad