Can anyone help me?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I don't know if this is the proper forum but I have a technology question; Does anyone know where or how I can turn VHS home videos into DVD's or Blue Rays?

My mother has a treasure trove of VHS tapes with home movies (including old 40's and 50's films uploaded to VHS) and I have been trying to find a company, device, or program which will allow such a transfer.

My mom is up there in age so I really would like to get this done so she can watch her home videos again. Thank you all for any help and happy holidays!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm sure that you can find a local company that specializes in that sort of thing. Try google or the yellow pages. It could get pricey if you have a lot of tapes for them to convert. That would be the easiest and fool-proof course of action, though.

If you're interested in saving some money and doing it yourself, you'll need a VCR, a converter and software for doing the recording. Usually, the software and the converter come together.

https://www.amazon.com/REDGO-Digital-Converter-Recorder-Camcorders/dp/B07GJFQ9MM

That's an example of a converter with software. I'm not recommending that particular one. It's just an example of one of dozens. There may be some that are better.

If you go that route, you just connect the converter to the VCR and to the computer, press Play on the VCR and then hit the Record button in the included software. The software ought to, also, allow you to burn the result to DVD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Thank you very much. I've tried local and no one around here seems to do it. Thanks for the advice

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
companies like Best Buy sell combo DVD/VHS players, if you find one that says recorder it will allow you to make DVD's

I also used to have a camcorder that you could select the input to be your VCR, then you play it out and record it with the camera, and then use editing software (Pinnacle is what I used back in the day) to import it to your computer

took awhile as you have to play it out in real-time, but it worked for me back in the 2000's so it should work now. might be better ways though

Reactions: Richard

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I used to do this with VHS/DVD recorder combo machine. Just make sure the tab on the VHS isn't broken off (write protection). I coverted about 100 wrestling tapes this way.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
i would just grab something like this

https://amzn.to/2M1wpmN

just convert to DVD. no reason to push 40s+50s film to blu ray. It won't be worth the cost or hassle.

this way you can also back-up digitally. If you don't already have a vhs player, just grab one one ebay. it will be a process, but sounds like it's worth it to you.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Depending on where you are in some cities a local public library may have this service to use. They do in Vancouver, and I'm pretty sure in Calgary too.
My local library also does this, and it's just the cost of the DVD, they don't even charge for labor.

I switched all my family videos from old tapes (and it was the little tapes, not even full size) to DVDs for Xmas 2 years ago. Giant hit with the family, I was able to skate through last Xmas. It took a while because it was definitely something they did on the side but it was very worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->