can anyone help me find game information?

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
Back in 1981, my Grandparents took me on vacation, we watched the Wings play the Nordiques to a 2-2 tie on 1-28-81. I seem to remember the Wings were down 2-0 late and scored a couple in the last few minutes.

I have searched the web for a while now looking for the newspaper article and/or boxscore of the game, and have drawn a blank. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

Thats My Hat

Jan 27, 2012
London, Ontario
Here's a link to the boxscores for January 28th, 1981. The Wings vs Nordiques game that resulted in a 2-2 tie is there as well.
http://www.databasehockey.com/boxscores/dailyscores.htm?lg=N

If you click on the teams, you will also get a list of players that played during that season.

It's the best I could, if you're looking for specific articles, or game log, then I can't really help you. I'll try digging some more tomorrow though.

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
Here's a link to the boxscores for January 28th, 1981. The Wings vs Nordiques game that resulted in a 2-2 tie is there as well.
http://www.databasehockey.com/boxscores/dailyscores.htm?lg=N

If you click on the teams, you will also get a list of players that played during that season.

It's the best I could, if you're looking for specific articles, or game log, then I can't really help you. I'll try digging some more tomorrow though.

Many thanks!!

RedWingsNow*

redwings%20vs%20nords.jpg

Robbie Ftorek scored twice for Quebec but Dale McCourt's third· Period tally evened the game between two division tailenders.
''It was not a classic game but we'll gladly take one point in the standings,'' said Detroit Coach Wayrie Maxner, whose Wings are 3-19-5 on the road. ''We've played better games this year and got nothing out of them in return.''

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
redwings%20vs%20nords.jpg

Robbie Ftorek scored twice for Quebec but Dale McCourt's third· Period tally evened the game between two division tailenders.
''It was not a classic game but we'll gladly take one point in the standings,'' said Detroit Coach Wayrie Maxner, whose Wings are 3-19-5 on the road. ''We've played better games this year and got nothing out of them in return.''

Thank you very much!

RedWingsNow*

Man, something about old school NHL Summaries just makes the heart swell.

I remember as a kid, getting the afternoon Windsor Star after school and tearing open the sports pages to see how Lafleur and the Canadiens did.

In the days before Cable TV and the Internet, you sometimes had no easy way to know the score of the game, let alone who scored, until the evening paper came. The morning Detroit papers often didn't have the previous night's scores. So unless you saw it on the evening news or heard it on the radio before school, you didn't hear about it

I think the scarcity of information made it more special. Or, the joy of seeking and finding scarce information made it more special.

Today, an entire world of information is a click away.

Google is awesome. But it takes a lot of fun out of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->