can anyone explain these omissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
there is a couple of really good players who i didnt see selected to there nations team, any one got word on why these palyers werent selected and whether they are on the taxi squad or not?

elias
petr sykora
samsononv
radek dvorak
leetch
palffy

RangersFan88*

:dunno: ok dvorak isnt playing good and to get into that super team you have to be great
palffy very very unfortunately already quittet his internation career
leetch :bow: :bow: i have no idea why he isnt on the us team :dunno: :dunno:
just dont get it
i guess they should be able to get elias somehow on that roster he would be big for
CZE
samsonov and sykora arent playing that well although sykora is having a great start in NY

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Left wing is Russia's deepest position was it stands now with Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Frolov, Kharitonov, Koroluyk, ect.... Samsonov is also experiencing health issues.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
I think Elias wasn't selected because the Czech team wasn't sure if his health would be an issue. I would imagine if one of the Czech forwards gets injured before the Olympics, Elias would probably be the replacement.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Leetch is the only real surprise of those listed, and it's not that big a surprise. I'd rather have him or Bret Hedican out there than Derian Hatcher.

joe_shannon_1983*

The Czech Republic made a really dumb move by not putting Elias on their team.

I understand that they may have been concerned about his health, but that is what the taxi squad is for. They should have named him in December, and if come February he wasn't ready to go, they could have replaced him.

The Czech Republic without Elias would be like Sweden without Alfredsson. It has that kind of impact.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
ferns8916 said:

I understand that they may have been concerned about his health, but that is what the taxi squad is for. They should have named him in December, and if come February he wasn't ready to go, they could have replaced him.

The Czech Republic without Elias would be like Sweden without Alfredsson. It has that kind of impact.
I agree with you, i still dont understand this one. This guy could make a difference between in a final game for the gold medal for the Czechs.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
DRL said:
there is a couple of really good players who i didnt see selected to there nations team, any one got word on why these palyers werent selected and whether they are on the taxi squad or not?

elias
petr sykora
samsononv
radek dvorak
leetch
palffy
Dvorak was injured at the time of the selection and the Czech Republic didn't want to choose injured players. He was told that he'll be an injury replacement.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
RangersFan88 said:
leetch :bow: :bow: i have no idea why he isnt on the us team :dunno: :dunno:
just dont get it
They wanted to go with younger players like Leopold, Liles, Chelios.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
moneyp said:
Leetch is the only real surprise of those listed, and it's not that big a surprise. I'd rather have him or Bret Hedican out there than Derian Hatcher.

Derian Hatcher? What about 44-year old Chris Chelios?

Without Derian Hatcher, the USA doesn't have any shutdown defensemen to go up against other teams' top lines. Unless you want Chelios (age 44), Aaron Miller (not bad but is currently hurt and status is unsure for the Olympics), or someone not even named to the team (do you REALLY want Hal Gill on the team?)

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
ferns8916 said:

Maybe a Czech LW "gets hurt" in february ...

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
go kim johnsson 514 said:

Without Derian Hatcher, the USA doesn't have any shutdown defensemen to go up against other teams' top lines. Unless you want Chelios (age 44), Aaron Miller (not bad but is currently hurt and status is unsure for the Olympics), or someone not even named to the team (do you REALLY want Hal Gill on the team?)

Do you really think Hatcher will be able to get it done on the big ice?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
ferns8916 said:

Agree, completely.

FoppaArGud

Jan 18, 2006
PHILLY
elias- had not played all season with hepatitis or whatever, they were not sure what kind of shape he would be in, even less certain than Canada with Nash.

petr sykora
he was on the bubble, it seems like the euro teams wanted at least one european pro on most of them and sykora's nhl numbers were pretty lacklustre with Anaheim.

samsononv
Russia has a bunch of left wings, Samsonov has been battling nagging injuries and right around the time of the selection he had started a skid. He was good for about a point a game but has very quickly fallen behind that pace.

radek dvorak
Been injured and the Czechs were eager to add a couple of new faces; I still think this was a bad move because he played well for them in Austria. That team had such great chemistry, I would have brought back as many players from it as possible along with Hasek. Hamrlik also got left off the Czech team.

leetch
this one puzzled me, too, here you have some pretty questionable selections or at least young players getting taken and leetch gets left off. to me he deserves the level of respect Chelios gets and even though he has made some mistakes this year in Boston he is still a guy who can log minutes even strength, on the PP or the PK. I guess they thought they had enough puck handlers.

palffy
Injury or he'd be there, he was a serious question mark for the WCs and didnt play in the World Cup; Slovaks have been plagued by injuries and lack of depth on defense. Budaj is a better goalie than they have had, I think.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I'll throw Roman Hamrlik in the mix. Any inside info on why he wasn't included on the Czech roster? He is still one of the Czech's top 6-8 Dmen I would think.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
ryz said:
I'll throw Roman Hamrlik in the mix. Any inside info on why he wasn't included on the Czech roster? He is still one of the Czech's top 6-8 Dmen I would think.
He was injured when the Czech team was named. The Czechs didn't want to name players that were injured at the time. I believe he's on the Czech taxi squad.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
go kim johnsson 514 said:

I was really suprised at how well Chelios played in the few DET games I've caught this year. I would much rather have him than Hatcher. Bottom line is Hatcher cannot cover the ice. On an international rink, this is a major concern.

The only possible reason is if Tomas Homstrom was on Sweden and they were expecting to kill of 15 pps. Then, maybe Hatcher makes sense. The vast majority of the players the US needs to stop will be able to scoot around Hatcher.

I would have rather had Leetch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad