Can Any NHL'ers From the 1980s Still Get Into The HHOF?

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Rick Martin should also be in

Tim Kerr IMHO should also be in if Cam Neely made it

Reactions: Vanzig

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Middleton should certainly be in already.

but it looks like he is black balled for being one of the faces of the conspiracy lawsuit the players filed against Eagleson and the NHL

I don't see what makes McDonald better than Middleton. I guess maybe Lanny's 66 goal season stands out more than any of Middleton's, but Middleton had the highest Hart finish of the two. McDonald barely crossed the 1000 point mark while Rick fell short and he won that SC with CGY. However, Middleton's career playoff numbers are better.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Rick Middleton
Steve Larmer
Bernie Nicholls
Bobby Smith
Brian Propp
Dave Taylor
Brian Bellows
Pat Verbeek
Doug Wilson
Gary Suter
Tom Barrasso
Mike Liut

HHOF can do without all these players, honestly. HHOF is already losing mystique and relevance by inducting too many players. A players career also doesn’t change whether he’s in the HHOF or not. Career is still what it was. Half of those players listed are certainly not less relevant than Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Housley though, but that’s kinda beyond the point. There’s no point in my mind having a HHOF if every above average players is gonna get in. Lindros & Makarov type of players are a whole other thing, because they were huge impact wise on and/or off ice.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
HHOF can do without all these players, honestly. HHOF is already losing mystique and relevance by inducting too many players. A players career also doesn’t change whether he’s in the HHOF or not. Career is still what it was. Half of those players listed are certainly not less relevant than Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Housley though, but that’s kinda beyond the point. There’s no point in my mind having a HHOF if every above average players is gonna get in. Lindros & Makarov type of players are a whole other thing, because they were huge impact wise on and/or off ice.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily advocating inducting any of them.

With guys like Iginla, Jagr (assuming he actually retires) and the Sedins being eligible soon and guys like Alfredsson, Roenick and Fleury not being in yet, it may be now or never for some of these older guys.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I know he's not getting in, but gun to my head, I'd include Tikkanen from the 80's. Not going to see a player like him again.

Reactions: Sentinel and feffan

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Middleton, Larmer, Wilson and Barrasso would be worthy inductees if you ask me. Maybe in a weak yr. coming up we'll see those players get inducted.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
IMO, Barrasso is the only one who clearly had a HOF career (from 1984-93). I don't see the case for the others, as I think that the HHOF is already saturated with 1980-95 offensive forwards. I'd be open to hearing what cases they have and debating their merits though.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
IMO, Barrasso is the only one who clearly had a HOF career (from 1984-93). I don't see the case for the others, as I think that the HHOF is already saturated with 1980-95 offensive forwards. I'd be open to hearing what cases they have and debating their merits though.

In general, 1980s wingers are weak compared to wingers from the dead puck era and/or beyond. However, people who have an obsession with career numbers may think a Verbeek or Taylor is as worthy as an Elias. The HHOF itself doesn't have a great reputation for being able to translate across eras.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...surprisingly-weak-wingers-in-the-nhl.2444309/

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
if the question is are there any more andreychuks or housleys, the answer is no. there are no giant career numbers guys still waiting from the 80s, at the level of andreychuk or housley (or gartner, or ciccarelli).

in terms of pure unadulterated numbers, the closest is count bernie nicholls but he doesn't have anything as spectacular as 600 goals or 1,200 points as a defenseman. and after nicholls, you're scraping at the likes of dave taylor, who actually there was a time when i thought he'd be in as a likeable old boys kind of guy, but i haven't heard his name in a long long time so i don't like his chances.

but i think the closest numbers guy, who actually i don't mind, is doug wilson. almost 250 goals and more than 800 points as a defenseman. everyone with more goals than him is in, only one guy with more points than him isn't in (gary suter). plus, he had a full career, making it just over the 1,000 game plateau, but didn't play forever.

what hurts wilson is the guys who are close to him: steve duchesne, kevin hatcher, and mathieu schneider in goals; suter ahead of him points and gonchar right behind. wilson has high end accomplishments that none of those guys can touch, but still, just looking at numbers probably both helps and hurts him.

if the question is are there guys i wouldn't mind seeing in as in the ballpark of federko or mullen types, as long as it's only one or two of them, then sure. middleton, propp, larmer, bobby smith, tonelli, and tikkanen.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

The only part I disagree with is that Tom Barraso probably deserves to be inducted. There’s not a lot that separates him from, say, Joseph and Vaniesbrouck, but it’s enough to warrant him being in the Hall.

(As an aside - I “liked” your post. Does that mean I’m supposed to agree with all of it? 90% of it? 50% plus one? Maybe my wife is right and I’ve become a luddite).

Reactions: MXD

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The only part I disagree with is that Tom Barraso probably deserves to be inducted. There’s not a lot that separates him from, say, Joseph and Vaniesbrouck, but it’s enough to warrant him being in the Hall.

(As an aside - I “liked” your post. Does that mean I’m supposed to agree with all of it? 90% of it? 50% plus one? Maybe my wife is right and I’ve become a luddite).

All likes to my posts are welcome. Even mock likes.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I hope not. Maybe Barrasso.

Wilson lucked into that one Norris trophy in a weak year for defensemen, but is otherwise nowhere near as good as Sergei Zubov.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Krutov.

He's the best left winger of the decade.

But it's a stretch to call him an NHLer as he became fatty by then and 7/11'd out of the NHL after a decade of dominance internationally.

Reactions: Sentinel and Vanzig

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Krutov.

He's the best left winger of the decade.

But it's a stretch to call him an NHLer as he became fatty by then and 7/11'd out of the NHL after a decade of dominance internationally.

I think Kasatonov has a better shot than Krutov.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think Kasatonov has a better shot than Krutov.
Based on what criteria?

Canada Cups & Olympics? No.
All-star selections? Hell no.
Positional dominance? Obviously not.

Tikhonov has to be a better candidate to induct before Kasatonov could try to compete with Doug Wilson.

Reactions: Sentinel

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Based on what criteria?

Canada Cups & Olympics? No.
All-star selections? Hell no.
Positional dominance? Obviously not.

Tikhonov has to be a better candidate to induct before Kasatonov could try to compete with Doug Wilson.

I think what helps Kasatonov is that he actually played, and played well, in the NHL. He was also damn good at those events you have mentioned. Next best defenseman to Fetisov among 80s Russians.

He was also better than Wilson. At least I think so.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What are the chances for the following?

Rick Middleton
Steve Larmer
Bernie Nicholls
Bobby Smith
Brian Propp
Dave Taylor
Brian Bellows
Pat Verbeek
Doug Wilson
Gary Suter
Tom Barrasso
Mike Liut

Verbeek, Bellows, Taylor, Propp, Smith no shot. They likely never will either and that is pretty accurate.

Nicholls, Larmer, Wilson and Suter might be a tad better, but even if they are, barely. Still not deserving. Nicholls might be the best of the group there.

Liut is a guy that I would think even a singular playoff run that was positive could have gotten him in. Or even losing to the Russians 2-1 instead of 8-1 in 1981 would help. I honestly think this is stuff that keeps him out. Barrasso had the career for it but I think they are pretty hell bent on keeping him out for spite because of his relationship with the media.

Middleton in my mind is a legit HHOFer and should be in. How does Lanny McDonald become a first ballot and Middleton, same position, exact same era, at LEAST as good of a career as and as good of a player, never get in? Before you say "It's the moustache" let's be serious. What is it really that puts Lanny ahead of him? Or better yet what is keeping Middleton out?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Middleton in my mind is a legit HHOFer and should be in. How does Lanny McDonald become a first ballot and Middleton, same position, exact same era, at LEAST as good of a career as and as good of a player, never get in? Before you say "It's the moustache" let's be serious. What is it really that puts Lanny ahead of him? Or better yet what is keeping Middleton out?

HHOF set a bad precedent with likes of McDonald, Federko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad