Can a team terminate a contract for a player being overweight? Jake Dotchin

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Dotchin has just signed a new contract with the Ducks which I assume will end his appeal ? Probably best for all parties involved to not set a precedent here.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Dotchin has just signed a new contract with the Ducks which I assume will end his appeal ? Probably best for all parties involved to not set a precedent here.

Probably not. Final judgement may just be OBE when all is said and done.

Actually on waivers today (for assignment to AHL).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Doesn't have to. It's still possible for the arbitrator to rule Tampa owes Dotchin some amount of financial compensation without ordering the contract to be reinstated.

Reactions: JerseyMike34

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Yeah it looks like I was wrong. Dotchin has now officially filed a grievance against the Lightning. Have there been any similar grievances before ? Not for this exact issue of course but I'm wondering about the grievance process and how it might be resolved.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah it looks like I was wrong. Dotchin has now officially filed a grievance against the Lightning. Have there been any similar grievances before ? Not for this exact issue of course but I'm wondering about the grievance process and how it might be resolved.

Y'know.... I'm sure there has been, I'm nearly positive I can remember another one, but these things tend to be a blurb in a newspaper and not mentioned again.

Maybe someone on here keeps track of grievances and arbitrator rulings and whatnot. It would be something interesting to look at either way.

I remember Lupul with Toronto, Kilger with the Panthers, although, again, I'm not sure if those were "official", Jared Cowan and the Leafs (that was an injury/buyout)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There have been grievances filed by NHLPA against NHL teams.

Ones that come to mind include buyout issues (team bought out "injured" player).

Process is described in CBA. Article 17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad