Pre-Game Talk: Camp Thread

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

I don’t have a lot of sports “beliefs” but one thing I have said for years is that development isn’t actually visible until after a break. That’s why I like young players to spend time in the press box every so often. They need time to digest what their bodies learn. Practice is a huge part of development. But so is watching and digesting.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I didn’t realize the league decided to suspend Lemieux for that hit...I really thought that was just a shove on the shoulder

also why wait to announce the suspension? Just get on with it

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don’t have a lot of sports “beliefs” but one thing I have said for years is that development isn’t actually visible until after a break. That’s why I like young players to spend time in the press box every so often. They need time to digest what their bodies learn. Practice is a huge part of development. But so is watching and digesting.

Kakko has problems with digestion.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Going over the videotape with Warner Wolf. Getting more sleep. Muscles heal and grow during sleep. It's science.

source.gif

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Liking what I’m seeing and hearing. Obviously real games will be the true evaluation but the narrative of Kaako benefitting from the break holds a lot of water for me.

For one, he did play a lot of hockey the past year without much break.

For two, I agree with @egelband, sometimes the body and brain need a break to process all the learning. It’s one thing to practice everyday and try to employ it but sometimes you do need a break. At several moments in my hockey career I found myself (feeling, at least) that I was leaps and bounds improved somehow, after a month lay off. Obviously I’m no NHLer but I did play travel and college puck so I feel that holds water.

For three (who am I, Chris Paul??), I think being drafted #2 and stepping into the NYC spotlight is a lot of pressure. Though he was with us all season, he never got a moment to readjust to his new reality. He was the new child on the team and probably felt like he was still the new guy even at the end of the year. Now that things had a break and he’s returning he’s being welcomed by his teammates like family, as a guy who has been there for a bit, not the new guy in the room. That can change a lot for you mentally. The uncomfortable, holy shit, here’s my locker and there’s Henrik F’ing Lundqvist’s locker and Artemi goddam Panarin’s locker can be tough to shake even after 200 days of it, because it’s 200 consecutive days. Now it’s business as usual, it’s what’s up boys? You ready to do this? Let’s go! That change can really do wonders. Feeling comfortable in your own skin, comfortable to be yourself can translate into being more comfortable when the puck is on their stick.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think one of the biggest things Kakko needs/needed to do is learn how to be more aggressive at the NHL level and engage more, and sometimes yeah that takes a step back to look at how you're approaching things and how to make the play.

That said, we'll see how things go.

Assuming this whole tournament gets going successfully I think the Rangers probably do have a bit of unique opportunity here. Part of the "problem" for a team like the Rangers (at the very least a young team) is that by the time you hit the playoffs the best teams are all playing super tight hockey and also know how to lean into extra stuff the NHL allows in the playoffs. It's tough for a team that's a little weak defensively and has covered up for that by having an explosive offense to go into a playoff series against a super tight and talented team and come out on top.

But after a long break...a team like the Rangers with a very potent top six combo and high scoring options on D with talented goaltending to cover up mistakes...if they hit the ground running they could mow down a bunch of teams with that offensive talent and the youth and inexperience on D might not be as big a factor. Would that be enough? Dunno, not saying it would be for sure, but this situation favors the fast starters and teams that can put some stuff together real quick and it's generally far easier to get your offense clicking quickly than it is to have a tight structured D from day 1

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
back before HD you just kinda had to watch the players twirl around the ice and assume the puck was in the pixels somewhere

Truth.

Don't forget that you just had to assume there were defensemen at the point.... cause with 4:3 ratio... you saw like 1/6th of the ice surface.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Trying to be optimistic and glass half full that everyone is ok July 26th. Saturday august 1st is gonna be epic. Nonstop hockey. I know we will miss the fans in the building especially hockey playoff atmosphere but still can’t wait.

Reactions: haveandare

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Trying to be optimistic and glass half full that everyone is ok July 26th. Saturday august 1st is gonna be epic. Nonstop hockey. I know we will miss the fans in the building especially hockey playoff atmosphere but still can’t wait.

A to the men, brother. Wish there was more than just outdoor dining so we could all gather for a viewing party somewhere. I’m hyped.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
A to the men, brother. Wish there was more than just outdoor dining so we could all gather for a viewing party somewhere. I’m hyped.
Yeah the Bryant party outdoor viewing of 2014 would be badass but for now our living room couch will have to do. Or maybe a cool outside setup with big screen in the backyard.

Reactions: Kovalev27

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yeah the Bryant party outdoor viewing of 2014 would be badass but for now our living room couch will have to do. Or maybe a cool outside setup with big screen in the backyard.

I used to really enjoy Ranger playoff parties at Hudson station. Not sure if any of you guys ever went but those were some fun times. From 2013-2017ish I went to about 4 playoff games and another 6-7 viewing parties. Really wish something like that was feasible for this year.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'm not worried about Kravtsov. I think he's a future top 6'er, but it might take a few years (same for Miller). I personally would prefer to keep Buch long-term, so i'm kinda hoping that Kravtsov ends up taking Kreider's spot instead.

Kravtsov-Zibanejad/Chytil-Buchnevich could end up being a monstrously effective line, especially if Panarin is taking some of the defensive heat off them

Reactions: Leetch3

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I'm not worried about Kravtsov. I think he's a future top 6'er, but it might take a few years (same for Miller). I personally would prefer to keep Buch long-term, so i'm kinda hoping that Kravtsov ends up taking Kreider's spot instead.

Kravtsov-Zibanejad/Chytil-Buchnevich could end up being a monstrously effective line, especially if Panarin is taking some of the defensive heat off them

I want to keep Buchnevich regardless. I’m hoping Strome gets locked up at a reasonable number due to his limited sample size and continues to at least have success with Bread, even if they don’t match this year.

Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Kravstov - Chytil - Gauthier

We could theoretically, and without reaching or being dramatically unrealistic, have our entire top nine for the next several years already in place and ready to assume their roles as early as the next year or two. Who goes where could shuffle, but that could be the top nine without any changes, realistically. Left D and appropriate bottom six players are the only real holes.

Reactions: bl02 and Leetch3

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil

Obviously he has the talent, but his interviews hasn't been positives at all. It seems he hás some sort of an entitlement vibe, just like Andersson.
It can be good when It comes tô a cocky confidence, but it always can be a dentrimental in learning ( Lias thinking he should bê the 2 C after Zibanejad was delusional)
But I still have confidence in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad