Cammalleri: Keep or trade?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If we trade Cammy, Stajan, Stempniak, Butler, etc. then we will have to go hard after UFAs like Statsny, Michalek, Moulson, Kulemin, Vrbata, etc. just to reach the salary cap floor of around 45 million.

replace the above veterans with Hanowski, Reinhart, Knight and Wotherspoon and run with a 20 million team then it would be a great way to rebuild and get top picks. But gotta have vets...............

I mean, we're already sitting at 36 million for next season... Yogi will need a new contract, Boums and Galiardi will as well, that's probably around another 4 million; I'd like to see Russell return in Calgary too, he'd make one hell of a third pairing guy if we actually got some real first pairing players, there's another 1.5-2.2 million... 3.5-2.8 million is not overly hard to find in free agency.

Paul Stastny, Dion Phaneuf, Ryan Callahan and even resigning Matt Stajan are guys, that I know, will get a loooonnnnggg look by the Feaster/Weisbrod/Burke team.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If we trade Cammy, Stajan, Stempniak, Butler, etc. then we will have to go hard after UFAs like Statsny, Michalek, Moulson, Kulemin, Vrbata, etc. just to reach the salary cap floor of around 45 million.

In today's NHL you cannot truly rebuild like the Houston Astros are doing in baseball. That's because you have to reach the floor.

So if it's just for a 1st rounder in the 20-30 pick range and a 2nd I would almost say re-sign Cammy to a 4 year deal as we won't get all the UFAs we chase.

If it's a hockey trade (a NHL ready solid prospect that can step right in) then yes go for it.

Basically if we could replace the above veterans with Hanowski, Reinhart, Knight and Wotherspoon and run with a 20 million team then it would be a great way to rebuild and get top picks. But gotta have vets...............
Russell, Butler, Galiardi, and Berra will be resigned and therefore eat some space. Afterwards there's talent in the free agency and college/international free agency. Or we could resign Stajan if there's no good offers. Lots of options to hit the floor.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The plan should be:

-sign Russell to a ridiculous contract. $8M for one year.

-make all future RFA negotiations with 3/4 d-men impossible for all other teams going forward

-profit

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Russell's a UFA. He's on pace for about 42-43 points (11-12 goals, 31 assists) and averaging 23 and a half minutes a game. If he even reaches 30 points and stays above the 20 minute mark, he could be looking at 3m+ easy on the free market.

The Flames have 35.6M committed for next season. Assuming they sign Russell (3M), Berra (2.5M), Stempniak (3M), and Galiardi (2M), that would put them at 46.1M without factoring in incoming rookies like Knight, Sieloff/Breen, Hanowski, etc. Basically, the cap floor isn't something people should worry about at all.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I mean, we're already sitting at 36 million for next season... Yogi will need a new contract, Boums and Galiardi will as well, that's probably around another 4 million; I'd like to see Russell return in Calgary too, he'd make one hell of a third pairing guy if we actually got some real first pairing players, there's another 1.5-2.2 million... 3.5-2.8 million is not overly hard to find in free agency.

Paul Stastny, Dion Phaneuf, Ryan Callahan and even resigning Matt Stajan are guys, that I know, will get a loooonnnnggg look by the Feaster/Weisbrod/Burke team.

yes.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I believe Stajan will be resigned and Stempniak will be traded if Sven emerges as a legit threat at some point this season. I think Emile will also be on the team next year.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Russell's a UFA. He's on pace for about 42-43 points (11-12 goals, 31 assists) and averaging 23 and a half minutes a game. If he even reaches 30 points and stays above the 20 minute mark, he could be looking at 3m+ easy on the free market.

The Flames have 35.6M committed for next season. Assuming they sign Russell (3M), Berra (2.5M), Stempniak (3M), and Galiardi (2M), that would put them at 46.1M without factoring in incoming rookies like Knight, Sieloff/Breen, Hanowski, etc. Basically, the cap floor isn't something people should worry about at all.

2.5 for Berra? What has he done to warrant that kind of money? Unless he starts to improve numbers, play, etc he should be making 1 - 1.5.

I do agree with what you're saying, though.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows

I wanna see the Flames re sign Russell too. He has been great. Also I think your salary estimates are pretty much bang on seeing that the cap will likely go up significantly.

But here's the thing. Five of the Flames current D are signed for next season. They are already embarrassingly small/soft.(the current Hitmen D are bigger than the Flames) I think for the Flames to re sign Russell they need to get bigger/tougher in other areas. That means that some of those other guys will have to go.

Signed for next season: Wideman, Smid, Giordano, Brodie, O'Brien

I know that is SOB is the whipping boy but if you need to get bigger/tougher he is the last guy you would get rid of. I say get rid of Wideman. The only two things about him that would suggest that he is an elite D are his shot and his salary. In fact, I would be comfortable giving Kris Russell Widemans current role.

The Flames D clearly needs to be bigger/tougher. They can't do that by bringing in pretty much the same group next year that they have this year. Get rid of Wideman, and bring in a bone crusher. (maybe Seiloff if he is ready)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
2.5 for Berra? What has he done to warrant that kind of money? Unless he starts to improve numbers, play, etc he should be making 1 - 1.5.

I do agree with what you're saying, though.

Rough estimate. I'm assuming Berra gets 40-50 starts, manages to get a save percentage above 0.900. and signs a two year deal. Wins and GAA shouldn't have too much of a impact, since they're highly dependent on the team and the team is terrible defensively. He is an RFA so maybe 1.5-2M is more likely.

I wanna see the Flames re sign Russell too. He has been great. Also I think your salary estimates are pretty much bang on seeing that the cap will likely go up significantly.

But here's the thing. Five of the Flames current D are signed for next season. They are already embarrassingly small/soft.(the current Hitmen D are bigger than the Flames) I think for the Flames to re sign Russell they need to get bigger/tougher in other areas. That means that some of those other guys will have to go.

Signed for next season: Wideman, Smid, Giordano, Brodie, O'Brien

I know that is SOB is the whipping boy but if you need to get bigger/tougher he is the last guy you would get rid of. I say get rid of Wideman. The only two things about him that would suggest that he is an elite D are his shot and his salary. In fact, I would be comfortable giving Kris Russell Widemans current role.

The Flames D clearly needs to be bigger/tougher. They can't do that by bringing in pretty much the same group next year that they have this year. Get rid of Wideman, and bring in a bone crusher. (maybe Seiloff if he is ready)

Hartley doesn't like/trust O'Brien given his limited minutes. He's not an everyday player. Trading Wideman will be difficult given his salary, and losing him would make a bad defensive team even worse. I think it's too early to say Russell can replace Wideman when they've been paired together for most of the season.

It's possible one or two of Breen, Wotherspoon and/or Sieloff make the team, so that should give the defense some more size/grit/toughness. If not, the Flames could always look to sign one of Morris, Orpik, M.Greene, or Engelland in free agency. Good chance at least a couple of those guys make to UFA.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
This is a bit of a sore spot with me at the moment. For all the talk of getting bigger and tougher it seems most nights I can count the amount of hits Flames throw on one hand. In fact the last memorable hits I can think of were thrown by Matt Stajan and Stemps...

JulianHopper*

I would re-sign Mike Cammelleri as well if he wants to stay here.

He's a good player and a good veteran to have around for the re-build.

I would keep Matt Stajan for that reason as well.

Sep 12, 2012
Berra? I pray to the hockey gods Feaster doesn't re-sign him.
He overplays the puck and loses his net all the time, give up 30 foot rebounds straight into the slot and consistently freezes up whenever there's traffic. The only thing he's moderately successful at is shootouts.
He shouldn't even be playing in the NHL.

I will admit that Kerr's slam on Francis about having to go rewrite his column was priceless.

Cammy will want to go to a contender at the deadline.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
TSN's 2nd period panel had Bobby Mac discussing the Cammy situation, essentially saying that the Flames love Cammy and what he brings on and off the ice and will look to resign him. If the asking term and money is no good, they'll look to trade him.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I will never understand why we want Cammy here long term, beyond this season.

This years production is purely based on contract year and the fact he is our highest profile player getting the minutes to produce.

I want him gone more than any flame. But that's me. I think he is the most arrogant player in the league. And lord knows this is his last chance for a big contract. I sure as **** hope it ain't us giving him that contract.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I will never understand why we want Cammy here long term, beyond this season.

This years production is purely based on contract year and the fact he is our highest profile player getting the minutes to produce.

I want him gone more than any flame. But that's me. I think he is the most arrogant player in the league. And lord knows this is his last chance for a big contract. I sure as **** hope it ain't us giving him that contract.

Cammy at least has some experience. You can't sell off all the veterans.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Cammy at least has some experience. You can't sell off all the veterans.

You ain't moving GlenX. Stajan is our best Center. Hudler is our best player. Gio is our best DMan. Wideman's contract will scare people away.........

= Cammy is the only vet that needs to be dealt. In so many ways it would be awful to keep him. He has got to go. I would roll the dice with any and all of our players over pouring elite money into this player

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
TSN's 2nd period panel had Bobby Mac discussing the Cammy situation, essentially saying that the Flames love Cammy and what he brings on and off the ice and will look to resign him. If the asking term and money is no good, they'll look to trade him.

Terribly myopic of the Flames. Cammalleri's play thus far has everything to do with the fact that it's a contract year first and foremost.

There's also a chance he's playing hard because he wants a trade to a contender, but that would still be secondary to contract motivations.

He's the only free agent the team has that could garner a first round pick or more at the deadline. They'd be fools not to trade him.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
You ain't moving GlenX. Stajan is our best Center. Hudler is our best player. Gio is our best DMan. Wideman's contract will scare people away.........

= Cammy is the only vet that needs to be dealt. In so many ways it would be awful to keep him. He has got to go. I would roll the dice with any and all of our players over pouring elite money into this player

If we move Cammalleri, we would only have four players in our forward core with 300 or more NHL games played (Glencross, Hudler, Stajan and Stempniak). I don't think that's an option, personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad