Cammalleri: Keep or trade?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Feaster needs to straight up ask Cammy what his intentions are and where he wants to be. If his plans are not to be in Calgary then there's no point to keep him. However, if he wants to be a part of our group going forward and turn this group around then I feel that he is the best option to keep over Stempniak.

I think this is the correct answer regarding this situation.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Other team forums will often have polls in nearly every thread. Just random polls in the GDT like who will score the first goal.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I'm not one to argue against cake, but how often does this sort of thing actually happen?
Not too often, but there is precedent for it. I believe Keith Tkachuk, Doug Weight and Mark Recchi were involved in such deals. In each case I recall it happening it was with a veteran player traded to partake in a playoff run then returned to the team they wanted to finish their career with.

Since Cammalleri is so young the Flames could do this every deadline for the next 5 years and sign him to a series of 1 year deals :sarcasm:

ah123

Jan 5, 2005
Trade Cammy - he will probably want a 3-5 year contract. When he is not scoring, he is not bringing much else to the table plus he is at an age where he will start declining. Get the picks and see who is on the UFA market to help bring the leadership/scoring.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Trade Cammalleri at the deadline.
Sign him as a free agent July 1st.

Have your cake and eat it too.

As much as i think its important to have a Cammy level player on this team, there are other elite or semi-elite players I would prefer on July 1st. We really need to solve our face off issues. Our PP is horrendous, even with Cammy on it. Plus we're small up front.

Cammy doesn't help us address our issues other than provide leadership and consistent scoring. oddly enough scoring goals isn't a pressing issue since we're exactly middle of the pack in Goals per game.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
In my opinion the answer is obvious. First rule of rebuilding is commit to the rebuild. Cammy is playing great right now. That's awesome, so lets shop him hard and ask for a little more than we think we can get. If anyone bites, great! If not, keep fishing. (And hope he keeps playing well).... Fish until the deadline. Take the best offer at that time. (Eat salary, add pieces that aren't long-term, etc), whatever it takes to maximize return moving forward. Trade him this year though. We are rebuilding. It's a tough bullet to bite so maintain that philosophy or prolong the process..... :yo: My vote is trade him for maximum income and stay the course.

Last edited:

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
The rebuild is off to a great start (Brodie, Baertschi, Monahan...). Stay the course or lose your courage and condemn us to a confusing, mid-rebuild/lost identity, several mid-years of wonderment.....

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
I don't think we should even consider 'turning the corner', until after the '15 (Aka: McDavid draft). Sell until then. True fans understand and will stay the course, too. :nod:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Cammy is on pace for 48 goals and 69 points in 75 games. Obviously he won't reach that. But is it fair to say that Cammy is a 35 goal scorer good for 65 points? On a Flames rebuilding team?

At 31 years old, what is that worth at the deadline?

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Cammy is on pace for 48 goals and 69 points in 75 games. Obviously he won't reach that. But is it fair to say that Cammy is a 35 goal scorer good for 65 points? On a Flames rebuilding team?

At 31 years old, what is that worth at the deadline?

First + solid prospect.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
awesome if he keeps playing this way, value's only going up

same with Stajan though I think we should definitely keep him around for a little bit longer

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Small sample size this year.

He hasn't posted those kind of stats for many years.

benfool

Aug 30, 2013
Trade Cammalleri at the deadline.
Sign him as a free agent July 1st.

Have your cake and eat it too.

I think that is a great idea, what I would love to see is the flames trade him at the deadline and sign him to massive one year deal next year. If they pay him enough reaching the deadline floor will not be an issue and he can be flipped again.

I like the game he brings and love his compete level but he can easily bring back a better return than Iggy did. I could see a Pominville type return for him.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If we trade Cammy, Stajan, Stempniak, Butler, etc. then we will have to go hard after UFAs like Statsny, Michalek, Moulson, Kulemin, Vrbata, etc. just to reach the salary cap floor of around 45 million.

In today's NHL you cannot truly rebuild like the Houston Astros are doing in baseball. That's because you have to reach the floor.

So if it's just for a 1st rounder in the 20-30 pick range and a 2nd I would almost say re-sign Cammy to a 4 year deal as we won't get all the UFAs we chase.

If it's a hockey trade (a NHL ready solid prospect that can step right in) then yes go for it.

Basically if we could replace the above veterans with Hanowski, Reinhart, Knight and Wotherspoon and run with a 20 million team then it would be a great way to rebuild and get top picks. But gotta have vets...............

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Happy to Trade Cammy nearing the deadline, or before, for what should be a major pickup for the Flames.

At this pace, he's worth at minimum a first, it's a weak draft year... so it's probably a first and a B+ type prospect. In addition to this, everyone knows what Cammy brings in the playoffs... So there should be some room for over-payment perhaps even on a disgusting level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->