Cammalleri: Keep or trade?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Could see the Flames going after Grabovski this summer (given the obvious Burke connection) if he doesn't re-sign with the Capitals. Trade Stajan and perhaps move Backlund to the wing. Run with Gravoski-Monahan-Knight-Colborne/Street down the middle.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Could see the Flames going after Grabovski this summer (given the obvious Burke connection) if he doesn't re-sign with the Capitals. Trade Stajan and perhaps move Backlund to the wing. Run with Gravoski-Monahan-Knight-Colborne/Street down the middle.

Not a fan of this idea. Let's not bring in any more centres and just stick to what we have now plus our prospects. I don't like the idea of playing Backlund or Stajan as our first-line centre next year as much as the next guy, but at least we wouldn't be getting more centres on our hands that we would have no idea what to do with.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Not a fan of this idea. Let's not bring in any more centres and just stick to what we have now plus our prospects. I don't like the idea of playing Backlund or Stajan as our first-line centre next year as much as the next guy, but at least we wouldn't be getting more centres on our hands that we would have no idea what to do with.

If you trade Stajan without adding another center, you're handcuffed to Backlund and Colborne because there is no way Monahan and anyone else down the depth chart can handle top line minutes

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
If you trade Stajan without adding another center, you're handcuffed to Backlund and Colborne because there is no way Monahan and anyone else down the depth chart can handle top line minutes

I never said trade Stajan, I actually think he should be kept over Backlund, because he's more of what the team needs right now.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Trade Cammalleri
Resign Stajan
And if Stempniak wants out trade him as well. But losing Stempniak will be a bigger loss than Cammalleri IMO and resign him if he genuinely wants to stay.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I never said trade Stajan, I actually think he should be kept over Backlund, because he's more of what the team needs right now.

I think Stajan or equivalent is more important than Cammy for one more season, even though there's good merit to keeping Cammy, but Stajan has been here for a long time and hasn't always been a fan favorite. Would I prefer a Grabovski or Statsny? Yes, I like better players.

I'll give props to Stajan for his comeback, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if we got a good return for him.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
If true it is a big change from the 0 teams interested in the summer.
Not a shock. When 0 teams were interested it was before compliance buyouts were used, before teams got under the cap and his cap hit was 6 million. Now that the season has started a player's cap hit drops with each day thus slowly increasing their value. His strong plus is sure helping too.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Flames upcoming UFAs:

Cammalleri, Stajan, Stempniak, Jackman, Butler, Russell, Smith, MacDonald, Blair Jones, Street

I'd like to see the Flames try to extend Stempniak and Russell for sure, the rest should be traded to the highest bidder or just walk away July 1.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Flames upcoming UFAs:

Cammalleri, Stajan, Stempniak, Jackman, Butler, Russell, Smith, MacDonald, Blair Jones, Street

I'd like to see the Flames try to extend Stempniak and Russell for sure, the rest should be traded to the highest bidder or just walk away July 1.

I could care less about Smith, MacDonald, Jones and Street. The others need to get something in return. I suspect Butler will probably be re-signed, simply because UFA defense are expensive and we don't have anything from within to replace him.

Cammy should be traded. He's never going to have more value than this year. He's only going to get older, and less and less valuable to the team. I don't want another Iginla situation where Cammy is now 36 with little value. Granted in the long run the return for Iginla was still good but my point stands.

Stajan I advocate trading only because I think the center market at the deadline will be thin as usual, and thats a position teams love to load up on.

Look at the teams in the bottom ten(ish) and what centers they may have available:

Buffalo: Ott maybe. Unlikely
Edmonton: haha, centers?
Florida: Shawn Matthias is pretty much the only center not on Talons list of five.
Columbus: No centers that they should trade. All are young.
Philly: Again, nobody that should be traded
Islanders: All young centers. Again.
Jersey: Only two centers worth anything and I doubt Zajac or Henrique are moved
Carolina: Staal's aren't moving.
Ottawa: Zack Smith maybe. Spezza, Turris, Zibanejed etc. Not moving.
Nashville: Legwand? I dunno, they seem to want to keep him
Jets: Jokinen really. And most teams are probably leery

So due to the fact that we could have a small bidding war over a guy of Stajan's caliber means move him in my opinion.

Now Stempniak, assuming he can continue his play from the start of the season I'm all for keeping. Now if he goes streaky, or we get an offer we can't refuse, I won't be upset either.

Jackman get any pick for him. Don't care.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Looking at Cammalleri's career stats, his best seasons, aka his two PPG seasons, both came in contract years. Coincidentally, he's got 11 points in 11 games this season.

Trade him.

fallsviewafro*

I like Cammy. He's a fierce competitor who hates losing and isn't afraid to call people out who aren't working hard. That is exactly the kind of attitude the young kids need to see.

I don't mind the trade at deadline + re-sign in off-season idea.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I understand you can't just replace a veteran winger but don't we have enough promising wingers coming up that the lose of Cammy won't be that big a deal? I mean who knows how Poirier will translate his game full time to the NHL in his first season but I'm willing to roll the dice. Much in the same tone, why resign Butler when you have guys like Wotherspoon and Sieloff (all be it hes been hurt in the AHL) ready to make the jump.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Again I'll say that if Cammy wants to stay then I want to keep him. He's a quality guy with elite talents and we have no one else like him. I also like his attitude. I'd sign him to a 2-yr deal. But if he indeed he wants to be moved, then you have to trade him for a premium at this years deadline. But personally I'd rather keep him and move out guys like Stempniak and Stajan.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think as a rebuilding team, we have to sell high and buy low. All three are right around 30, if we resign them, their value will be significantly less next time around. With Hudler, Glencross, Jones and Galiardi we still have a good veteran presents upfront. In a rumored weaker draft, teams may be more willing to move pick and with proper scouting, I'm sure we could pull out a few diamonds in the rough.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
At the deadline, if we're far out of the playoffs, here's what I'd like to see:

> Keep one of Stempniak or Cammalleri. We don't need both going forward, but we definitely need someone who can set an example and carry some of the top line burden. The one we're keeping needs to be extended; I'd hate to see us not trade a UFA only to have him walk away July 1.

> Trade Stajan. He's done well, but it's time (and we might even get something decent for him). Ben Street can fill the veteran, faceoff winning, PKing C position to close out the season. Monahan/Knight/Backlund/Colborne can battle for the other spots.

> Trade Butler. A team looking for a number six defenseman for a long playoff run will likely be interested. He doesn't fit here in the medium or long term. I'd rather give his minutes to Breen or Billins (or even Wotherspoon or Ramage if they're ready by the end of the season).

> Trade Jackman - he's a waste of a roster space.

There are other guys I'm not as high on (Galiardi, Backlund - good guys but don't provide much substance) but are youngish and we probably wouldn't get anything of value in a trade. There are other older guys we could trade (Street, Smith, Blair Jones) but they've all cleared waiver at least once this season, so I doubt anyone will be interested.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd prefer to keep him. He's proven he can be a legitimate top line guy, and having him around for a few years would benefit everyone, as he has both experience and leadership. I also hate the idea that Hudler could wind up being our most experienced player.

I'd try to re-sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal.

Trade Stempniak, Stajan, Butler.

As much as I hate to beat a dead horse, I'd also look at dealing Glencross, ASSUMING Cammalleri does in fact sign an extension, and Glencross shows interest in possibly waiving.

Leaves us with something along the lines of;

Cammalleri - Backlund - Hudler
Baertschi - Monahan - Jones
Bouma - Colborne - Galiardi
Hanowski - Knight - McGrattan (Maybe give Nemisz another chance)

This is assuming we don't see any roster players added.

As for the offseason, I'd aim at getting Grabovski (as someone else stated, Burke connection). I'd also look at Steen, but I doubt he'd sign here.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Looking at Cammalleri's career stats, his best seasons, aka his two PPG seasons, both came in contract years. Coincidentally, he's got 11 points in 11 games this season.

Trade him.

Montreal wasn't a good fit for him, IMO. He does well when he's the go to guy, and gets powerplay time, which is what he is for us now, and what he'd be for us for a few seasons. I'd say keep him. Better yet, trade him, then sign him JUly 1st.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Feaster needs to straight up ask Cammy what his intentions are and where he wants to be. If his plans are not to be in Calgary then there's no point to keep him. However, if he wants to be a part of our group going forward and turn this group around then I feel that he is the best option to keep over Stempniak.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Unless it's for a deal you can't say no to, you don't trade your only top line player. We need more top line players, not trade them away for the sake of making a trade.

But that's slightly myopic, because really, we need more top line players in 2-3 years. If Cammy walks in the off-season, or even if we re-sign him and he just declines, we would probably end up with fewer top-line players at that point than if we trade him for a first-rounder now.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Keep him unless we get offered something we just can't refuse. The oilers are proof that if you go full tank you may never recover.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Feaster needs to straight up ask Cammy what his intentions are and where he wants to be. If his plans are not to be in Calgary then there's no point to keep him. However, if he wants to be a part of our group going forward and turn this group around then I feel that he is the best want to keep over Stempniak.

I think Feaster said that the organization is going to decide at Christmas as to who they want to extend and who they didn't. If they can't extend them, or if they didn't want them here longer, then they'll look to trade 'em at the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->