Cammalleri: Keep or trade?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

That isn't very realistic (I mean trading him and than signing him in the offseason). It happens so rarely and Cammy isn't really attached to the city in any particular way, if we are trading him than we should accept he is gone like we did with Iggy as Cammy is still looking for a cup and one last pay day.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Another factor to consider is the situation of the trade market. I've said in the trade/free agent thread that the Flames could be in a very favorable position this deadline given that the cap was lowered this season. Budget teams can afford to spend money this year because its the only chance they'll get to compete dollar for dollar with clubs like Toronto, NY, Philly, etc.

With there being indication of a record year of revenue for the NHL, the cap is going to go up significantly next year. The gap between budget teams and wealthy teams will be more significant, meaning that more budget teams will be looking for RFA and ELC players to ice their roster rather than expensive veterans. In turn, trade value for players like Cammy, Stajan, and Stempniak will be less when there's less buyers.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
That isn't very realistic (I mean trading him and than signing him in the offseason). It happens so rarely and Cammy isn't really attached to the city in any particular way, if we are trading him than we should accept he is gone like we did with Iggy as Cammy is still looking for a cup and one last pay day.

Then so be it. Ether he is apart of our future or he isn't. At least if he isn't we get something for him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
According to this http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-oilers-yakupov-thrust-back-into-trade-talk/

up to 10 teams are interested in Cammy.
Sportsnet’s Mark Spector recently reported 10 NHL GMs were keeping an eye on the 31-year-old winger. Most of the GMs could be from low-scoring clubs, like the Nashville Predators, Carolina Hurricanes, New York Rangers, New Jersey Devils, Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets.

If true it is a big change from the 0 teams interested in the summer.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
At the same time when there was 0 interest for Tanguay? Right before free agency?

I wonder if Feaster is still trying to figure that out :sarcasm:

tanguay's contract has bad term. the closer we get to the trade deadline the more teams can make cammys contract work.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
tanguay's contract has bad term. the closer we get to the trade deadline the more teams can make cammys contract work.

True enough. Although I recall that Feaster wanted SOB for Tanguay straight up but when Sarich was a piece, Jones was the return. I can't remember exactly, and I also recall the source being a HF poster. On second thought, scratch that. It doesn't sound credible :laugh:

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Cammy for Yakupov straight up? :handclap:

Never. Not that it isn't good but Yakupov has absolutely no clue how to play in the defensive zone or really how to be a part of a team. Also when he is a -14, and is saying he should be given more minutes just because, I question his character.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
According to this http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-oilers-yakupov-thrust-back-into-trade-talk/

up to 10 teams are interested in Cammy.

If true it is a big change from the 0 teams interested in the summer.

cause no one could afford the 6 mil cap he has this year. At the deadline the cap hit will be a mute point.

If he WANTS to stay and is WILLING to sign BEFORE the deadline to a GOOD term and dollar value, then you keep UNLESS you are offered something ridiculous.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Never. Not that it isn't good but Yakupov has absolutely no clue how to play in the defensive zone or really how to be a part of a team. Also when he is a -14, and is saying he should be given more minutes just because, I question his character.

Really? Id take Yaks in a second! But there's absolutely no way that Edmonton would trade him to us

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Aside from the fact that Yak is worth way more than Cammy, why would the Oilers want to rent Cammy for less than a half year?

The Oilers need defence and toughness, Nemisz and Smith is a better deal for him. Get Fleester on the phone!

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Cammy for yak? Your crazy if you say no

Never really said no. But in terms of where yak is right now as a player is terrible. He couldn't find his zone with a flashlight, yet he feels he is entitled to be treated as a premier player. Add to the fact his terrible production and I think, correct me if I'm wrong, league worst -14. He has a lot of growing up to do. If our organization thinks Beartschi has work to do, they would love Yakupov I'm sure.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Stajan is a harder discussion for me anyways. We're weak down the middle.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Stajan is a harder discussion for me anyways. We're weak down the middle.

I'd move him. Next year we roll with Monahan, Backlund and have Colborne and Knight. I believe Knight is close to ready now.

I do agree that Backlund and Stajan are very close right now but Backlund is younger and still has potential to be better. Either way I don't view either to be more than a #3C here long term.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'd move him. Next year we roll with Monahan, Backlund and have Colborne and Knight. I believe Knight is close to ready now.

I do agree that Backlund and Stajan are very close right now but Backlund is younger and still has potential to be better. Either way I don't view either to be more than a #3C here long term.

Who do we got after that? Backlund is made of glass. And I'm assuming one of Mono, Knight and Colborne will miss some days in today's hockey.

Reinhart, Granlund, and Agostino? Maybe those guys could handle some minutes in the worst case scenario. I bet Reinhart plays wing next year however.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Who do we got after that? Backlund is made of glass. And I'm assuming one of Mono, Knight and Colborne will miss some days in today's hockey.

Reinhart, Granlund, and Agostino? Maybe those guys could handle some minutes in the worst case scenario. I bet Reinhart plays wing next year however.

Trade Stajan for a hopefully a 2nd (probably a 3rd) and then sign Fiddler in free agency. Lose some offense, but he's just as good defensively and on faceoffs.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Trade Stajan for a hopefully a 2nd (probably a 3rd) and then sign Fiddler in free agency. Lose some offense, but he's just as good defensively and on faceoffs.

I hope Feaster overpays and lands Statsny. Don't care if its 6.5 for 2 years. We need a guy to hunker down the top lines next year for Monahan and Colborne.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Stajan isn't exactly an ironman himself. My short answer is Street can play the 4th and Reinhart can fill in if need be. Arnold could also be a callup. No it's not pretty but it's a rebuild. The after Janko will be in the mix so then things will start to settle.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Stajan isn't exactly an ironman himself. My short answer is Street can play the 4th and Reinhart can fill in if need be. Arnold could also be a callup. No it's not pretty but it's a rebuild. The after Janko will be in the mix so then things will start to settle.

Forgot about Street. I suppose he could make a decent regular 4th liner.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Forgot about Street. I suppose he could make a decent regular 4th liner.

And I will say to that Reinhart is still more adept to playing C, he's still learning to play wing. To me he's a C/LW. So you have:

Monahan
Backlund
Colborne/Knight
Knight/Street

Throw in Reinhart and Arnold if need be. Also quite possibly Granlund could see some top 6 time depending on his development and injuries. I also don't mind the idea of Fiddler for a bottom 6 guy and he's FO wiz.

Ultimately I'm looking at who brings the biggest package come deadline valued over their age.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
You absolutely trade Cammy this year no matter what. Don't let his production fool you this year. It's a contract year and we have been stung before. Beside's is he a Burke/Feaster player? A guy they would spend bucks on? Cuz if he keeps producing at this pace he is pricing his way off this team. It's a contract year, we have been burnt before with this.

I say you trade him for a return similar to Vanek. A good roster player and a 2nd/3rd. Rather than a first round pick. Or if you can land a decent prospect in the 22-23 year old range that is developing at a good pace.

I agree with everyone saying we have enough vets, cuz we do for our stage in the rebuild. I have never been a fan of Cammy simply because I think he is arrogant. Anyway, yes you move him, for anything, or he walks. He won't stay for a discount, so unless you wanna be paying a small winger over 6million in his 30's, to a multi year deal, you move him.

And keep Stajan and Stempniak for another year. They are good locker room guys who play the game with grit and passion. Perfect alternates on this team for Gio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad