Player Discussion: Cameron Gaunce

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Former teammate of Steven Stamkos for the Markham Waxers (OMHA) and eventual 2nd round pick in 2008 by Colorado (50th). The now 29 year old played briefly for Colorado, Dallas and Pittsburgh for a total of 32 NHL games but played the majority for their respective AHL affiliates. He won the Calder Cup with Texas in 2014. He also failed to crack the NHL rosters of Florida and Columbus but played for their AHL teams.

He signed as a free agent with Tampa in 2018 on a two-way deal. He wears an A for Syracuse this season and put up 10 goals, 43 points, a +21 and 61 PIM in 57 games. He got called up a few times and finally played his first NHL game for us last night (5-2 win over Ottawa).

12:07 TOI with one shot, two hits, a +2, 7 PIM and "fought" Zack Smith:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Already way better than Koekkoek's entire career here. We can pencil him in the top 6 next year.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Didn’t really notice him which is good. Better teams are probably going to abuse him though.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I think Rutta is a solid tier 3 d man.

His "super speed" last night really surprised me when he caught the breakaway (dude was a solid 10-15 feet behind) and stopped a potential high threat opportunity.

Gaunce, not gonna lie, I didn't like him in his first game. He definitely had jitters and was making a lot of small mistakes that will hopefully polish out. He's not going to be going with us to the playoffs most likely so it's not really an immediate 'concern' but he'll definitely need to improve his game to play on this team.

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
Pretty sure someone said that after Rutta's first game here and he has sucked ever since.

Pardon ?? People goo their underpants over Cernaks 3 points in the play offs last year -- Rutta had 2.

On topic - Gaunce playing well.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Remember when Point was breaking into the line-up and all the talk about sending him back down and he proved to be a star? I kinda get the same feeling about Gaunce. Can he stick I hope so, can he be another impact rookie I hope so. He has looked better in this short stint than Verhagee, Joseph, Stephens. Will it continue?

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
He’s not really a prospect anymore. Best case he’s a late bloomer. He’s got some offensive skill but not all that strong in his own zone. If he plays in the playoffs it’s likely an issue

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Remember when Point was breaking into the line-up and all the talk about sending him back down and he proved to be a star? I kinda get the same feeling about Gaunce. Can he stick I hope so, can he be another impact rookie I hope so. He has looked better in this short stint than Verhagee, Joseph, Stephens. Will it continue?
He's 29, lol.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He's 29, lol.
Your point??? I am referring to breaking into the line-up while 29 is past the age most make it in he has shown heart and some skill I will still take him over Verhagee and Joseph. Youth is not always best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad