Camera in the arena?

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshman

May 25, 2013
Hi guys,
all booked up to come over and watch some hockey for the first time in a few weeks. Can't wait.
One question...what does the arena count as a professional camera? I have a Nikon d3200 with a detachable lens at the moment. I know detachable lenses are seen as professional so I am wanting to get a bridge camera (the cameras with a good zoom but non detachable lens) such as a Sony Cyber-Shot or Panasonic Lumix for example. Will these be allowed in? I don't want to buy or bring a new camera over for the games and not be allowed in with them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!:yo:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Because google.

Video cameras, monopods, tripods, audio recording devices and cameras with professional telephoto or zoom lenses are NOT permitted inside Madison Square Garden at any time. This policy will be strictly enforced. You may bring in non professional or disposable cameras. However, for some events, cameras of any type and/or flash photography may be completely prohibited. Any photos taken are for personal use only and may not be sold, licensed or distributed.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Because google.

You understand that your snarky response didn't actually help answer the question right? Cuz ambiguous words. See, I can do it too.

The guy is asking either: What constitutes a "professional" zoom lense/telephoto? And/or what constitutes a "non-professional" camera? The portion you quoted answers neither of those questions and just reuses those words. But good job demonstrating both your mastery of the googlez and the inappropriately snarky answer.

To the OP: I'd do what Krams said if you want to be sure, or explore another way of contacting MSG directly.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
In my past experience in American arenas (Honda Center, TD Garden, MSG, Barclays Center and new Yankees Stadium) I have been fine bringing in my Panasonic GH-2 with detachable lens. A few times I've been asked if the lens is detachable, just say it isn't.

It's the same here in Australia. Stadiums will always try to deter professional grade cameras, however enforce the policy quite loosely as at the end of the day customer service attendants are not going to go out of their way just to question you and make a scene in front of everybody.

Unless your camera looks like this:

sigma.jpg

You can always hide it under a jacket with a shoulder strap too.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think the policy is even more ambiguous with the rise in mirrorless cameras.

Yeah, I have a Sony A6000. It's not a "professional" camera, but I can put a variety of lenses on it. At what point would a telephoto/zoom lens become considered "professional"? 100mm? 200? 350?

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I've walked into MSG with a Canon 50D with a 70-200mm L f/2.8 (very large white lens) with no problems. Even though I didn't have any problems walking in with it, I was still very hesitant to use it as it's very large and draws attention. I have also brought in a cheaper 70-300mm f/5.6 lens with no problems.

Stop by B&H which is down the block from MSG and get a shopping bag. Put your camera in the bag, and when you go through security, tell them you just bought it. :laugh: Honestly, I don't know what MSG security can do. It's not like they're going to allow you to check in your camera/lens. Can they deny you entry with out refunding you?

I've had other funny stories with cameras/lenses at hockey games. I went to TD Garden to see the Rangers vs Bruins with that 70-300mm lens and security was not going to allow me in, they then asked me to see my ticket. They saw that I was sitting second to last row in the upper bowl, they said, OK you can go.

Another time I was at the Air Canada Center in Toronto. I had a high end point and shoot with 2 external lens, a wide angle and a telephoto lens. Security saw the two lenses, and told me that I had to check the larger lens, which happened to be the wide angle one. ;) I assume they thought the larger lens was the telephoto lens.

I now have a Canon G16 which I bring to every arena I attend. I've amassed a nice collection of hockey photos of the 24 NHL arenas, 10 AHL arenas, and 2 WHL arenas I've been to.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Security is tight at the Garden, so I would definitely write to the email address that was provided above to save you a heartache.

By the way, if you do happen to smuggle in an optic device that would make the hubble space station blush, don't sit in front of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad