Camden Riversharks ceases operations in the Atlantic League

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure how much independent ball teams have in marketing, but the only time I ever heard about the Riversharks was when they had their annual morning game at like 8am. The stadium is nice though.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I don't want to make this into an impromptu "Expansion" thread, but does the Atlantic League have a contingency plan in place now that Camden bit the dust? They do play a longer schedule than most Indy leagues, so pairing up with the American Association could be problematic.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Count on the New York-Penn League to move one of their struggling teams to Camden sooner rather than later. Two of Auburn, Batavia, or Williamsport will be on the move - one to Binghamton and one to Camden.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Count on the New York-Penn League to move one of their struggling teams to Camden sooner rather than later. Two of Auburn, Batavia, or Williamsport will be on the move - one to Binghamton and one to Camden.

Hypothetical situation: What would a New York-Penn League Camden team would be nicknamed?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hypothetical situation: What would a New York-Penn League Camden team would be nicknamed?

You could always keep/revive the Riversharks name, but likely new ownership would want a fresh name. Offhand you could go for a name dealing with the following

• Victor/RCA's longtime presence (Camden Nippers? Camden Victors?)
  • New York Shipbuilding Company (built warships for the US Navy including the cruiser USS Indianapolis and the carrier USS Kitty Hawk) (Camden Cruisers? Camden Carriers?)
  • Site of the first ever drive-in movie theater (Camden Cruisers again?)
  • Campbell Soup (Camden Canners?)

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
New Britain Bees replaces Riversharks in Atlantic League

We now know what the New Britain expansion team in the Atlantic League will be called: The Bees.

Insert your own Nicolas Cage "Not the bees" joke here.

Okay logo, somewhat overused nickname in minor leagues.

Edit: Forgot the logo:

NB_Bees.png

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
We now know what the New Britain expansion team in the Atlantic League will be called: The Bees.

Insert your own Nicolas Cage "Not the bees" joke here.

Okay logo, somewhat overused nickname in minor leagues.

Edit: Forgot the logo:

NB_Bees.png

More than somewhat. In affiliated ball alone there's two "Bees." The Burlington Bees of the Midwest League and the Salt Lake Bees of the Pacific Coast League. To be fair, the Salt Lake Bees were forced to change their name from the Buzz to the Bees after they were sued by Georgia Tech, but still, I prefer unique names.

Where was this team located? NJ?

I'm surprised Virginia Beach is getting a team though.

Yes, they were in Camden, NJ.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Slightly OT: I thought the Virginia Beach Neptunes were going to debut next year, but Wikipedia says the inaugural season for the Virginia Beach team will be in 2017. What caused the delay?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Slightly OT: I thought the Virginia Beach Neptunes were going to debut next year, but Wikipedia says the inaugural season for the Virginia Beach team will be in 2017. What caused the delay?

No idea here. I don't really follow the independent minors (I'm only following New Britain/Camden as it relates to the affiliated teams coming from/going to those markets). I do note that a press release the Neptunes put out back in April about the naming rights for their park indicated they'd begin play in 2016, so no idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad