Cam Ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Dempsey said:
Go Cam! I would love to see Ward as the #3 goaltender on the team.

You can dream...

He will not be part of team Canada this year for sure...IMO, every goaltender in the shortlist are in front of him in the depght chart. I'm not underating Cam Ward! He's a rookie in the NHL so he don't have the experience to be the 3rd goaltender of team Canada

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Dempsey said:
No ****.

I'd love to see it though.

Then you never saw him in any of his team canada training camps where he could never stop anything and was the worst tender in each camp year after year.
He is a funny one. Plays great with his own teams but chokes with the maple leaf on the jersey.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Vinland said:
Then you never saw him in any of his team canada training camps where he could never stop anything and was the worst tender in each camp year after year.
He is a funny one. Plays great with his own teams but chokes with the maple leaf on the jersey.

Hope he doesn't get traded to Toronto then.

soyunperdedor

Oct 17, 2005
Then it's a darn good thing that Ward wasn't drafted by Toronto.

Looking at the four names you mentioned earlier, Ward's the only player to win a championship at an elite level of hockey (no, I don't care about the city championhips they won in Pewee). Although he was a minor part of the winning the team (first year player), he still had the experience of knowing what it takes. Winning is what a great goalie does. It's what seperates the Martin Brodeurs's from the Dan Cloutier's.

I think this is what gives the "a-ward", to Ward.

EDIT: Beez, you beat me to it.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Ward seems to be getting better each year. At least, his numbers have shown that he has seemingly been improving each of his seasons.

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
MrKnowNothing said:
Ward seems to be getting better each year. At least, his numbers have shown that he has seemingly been improving each of his seasons.

and cloutier isn't the next generation in Canada? :sarcasm:

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
lanks said:
and cloutier isn't the next generation in Canada? :sarcasm:
Clouts is a good regular season tender but it seems the pressure of the playoffs seem to get to him, though he played decent till he was injured the last time the nhl was going on, so i could only imagine what he would be like with the whole country watching him. Loungo is the future of team Canada.

Ive seen Ward improve year to year since juniors. The 03-04 playoffs in the 1st round against Calgary. He was awesome to watch, the series was all about goaltending, with Ward and Brust both having stellar series. Theres no doubt in my mine Ward will be #3 in the future for team Canada's goalies behind Loungo, and most likely Theodore.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
soyunperdedor said:
Then it's a darn good thing that Ward wasn't drafted by Toronto.

Looking at the four names you mentioned earlier, Ward's the only player to win a championship at an elite level of hockey (no, I don't care about the city championhips they won in Pewee). Although he was a minor part of the winning the team (first year player), he still had the experience of knowing what it takes. Winning is what a great goalie does. It's what seperates the Martin Brodeurs's from the Dan Cloutier's.

I think this is what gives the "a-ward", to Ward.

EDIT: Beez, you beat me to it.

I don't disagree with what you said, but I don't know if Dan Cloutier is the best example, as he won both a Memorial Cup and a World Junior Championship.

Steve466

Apr 21, 2005
It'll be great to build Ward's confidence, but I would've rather seen the spot go to someone more deserving. What's Dwayne Roloson got to do for some respect? All he's done is have an insanely high save % over the past fews years. Huge longshot to make the team, but Ward has played what, two or three games? He's a goalie of the future, but goalies of the future don't play ahead of established stars. Also, we have to remember that the goalie's performance during the season may not have much to do with him being named to the team, so putting up big numbers won't mean much.

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
chiefmonarch said:
Clouts is a good regular season tender but it seems the pressure of the playoffs seem to get to him, though he played decent till he was injured the last time the nhl was going on, so i could only imagine what he would be like with the whole country watching him. Loungo is the future of team Canada.

Ive seen Ward improve year to year since juniors. The 03-04 playoffs in the 1st round against Calgary. He was awesome to watch, the series was all about goaltending, with Ward and Brust both having stellar series. Theres no doubt in my mine Ward will be #3 in the future for team Canada's goalies behind Loungo, and most likely Theodore.

lol, I was being sarcastic, but I would tend to agree with the first statement, though the 2nd (ward being a future #3 goalie in the candian system) I'd disagree with, he's played 5 games. I do think he'll be a very good goaltender but to say he'll be #3 in Canada is kind of an overstatement IMO.

soyunperdedor

Oct 17, 2005
the_gman83 said:
I don't disagree with what you said, but I don't know if Dan Cloutier is the best example, as he won both a Memorial Cup and a World Junior Championship.

Yeah, bad example, hadn't done my research.

My bad.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
lanks said:
lol, I was being sarcastic, but I would tend to agree with the first statement, though the 2nd (ward being a future #3 goalie in the candian system) I'd disagree with, he's played 5 games. I do think he'll be a very good goaltender but to say he'll be #3 in Canada is kind of an overstatement IMO.
Overstatement? Have you even seen him in the last 5 years? Have you seen him play this season? The guy is posting some great stats behind a transparent defence, and was on par or above Lehtonen/Toivonen/Miller/etc in the AHL last season while being a rookie and again having a transparent defence. If he continues to improve at the rate he does, he will be the #1 goalie on team Canada in 5 years.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
freakazoid said:
Overstatement? Have you even seen him in the last 5 years? Have you seen him play this season? The guy is posting some great stats behind a transparent defence, and was on par or above Lehtonen/Toivonen/Miller/etc in the AHL last season while being a rookie and again having a transparent defence. If he continues to improve at the rate he does, he will be the #1 goalie on team Canada in 5 years.
Yeah Ward > Luongo
ssst.gif

It really doesnt matter IMO if he was named on the list, we all know he has no chance in hell of making it right now.
To say he will be a top 3 canadian netminder, which often means top 5 goaltender in the world at this point in time is an exageration. Who knows he may end up being that good, but as of now, IMO he isnt even the best canadian goaltending prospect.

jeffbear

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
J17ster said:
Who knows he may end up being that good, but as of now, IMO he isnt even the best canadian goaltending prospect.

As of right now, he might not be the best goaltending prospect on his own team. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford is equally as high on St Mike's minder Justin Peters, who is ridiculously athletic for a tall goalie. His numbers in junior have always been hampered by the ratty ice that St Mike's plays on in Toronto ... but he was silly good in camp for the Canes this fall.

Not to say that's a given. With goalies one never knows from year to year. The best thing about Ward is his mental makeup. He's unfailingly confident without being too cocky ... which makes him seem a lot more mature than his age would indicate. It's very easy to forget that he's just a kid.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
jeffbear said:
As of right now, he might not be the best goaltending prospect on his own team. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford is equally as high on St Mike's minder Justin Peters, who is ridiculously athletic for a tall goalie. His numbers in junior have always been hampered by the ratty ice that St Mike's plays on in Toronto ... but he was silly good in camp for the Canes this fall.

Not to say that's a given. With goalies one never knows from year to year. The best thing about Ward is his mental makeup. He's unfailingly confident without being too cocky ... which makes him seem a lot more mature than his age would indicate. It's very easy to forget that he's just a kid.
Id love to have ward, though it would be a waste if he was in FLA.
Personally id rather have Ward over Peters, but that may change. Just i still cant quite see him becoming the next top goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad