Cam Ward a 9.0B?!?!?!

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Who had a horrible stats in the regular season and while being very good in play-offs, didn't do anything THAT great (and played behind a great defensive team)?

Did you even watch the playoffs? Didn`t do that great? That was an exceptional goaltending performance, there is no way around it. The fact that he did it so young makes it even more impressive.

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
Ward can potentially reach 9.0B status in real life. The thing is that right now he has at his age won a Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup. That leads to favorable comparisons to Brodeur & Roy. But Philly had a goalie in the 80's named Hextall that also won a Conn Smythe. Cam Ward is far closer to Hextall than he is to Brodeur or Roy. Hextall was good but not as good as Roy or Brodeur.

Let's not forget... not to diminish Ward's play... but Roloson wins the Conn Smythe & Edmonton wins the Cup if he doesn't get injured.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Who had a horrible stats in the regular season and while being very good in play-offs, didn't do anything THAT great (and played behind a great defensive team)?

I think at this point he could be a 8.0B, maybe 8.5B or 9.0C.

I mean while play-offs are naturally more important than regular season, we can't just dismiss the regular season like that.

I'm just wary of giving 9.0 rankings to players other than the likes of AO or Crosby.

Agreed. 8.5B or 8.0A. I guess the only way to make it fair is for one impartial person to do all the rankings and thats never going to happen.

Matty

May 20, 2002
Strawberry Fields
Visit site
I fail to see why this ranking is a 'problem'?

From what I've seen, Ward does have the potential for a Brodeur-like career. Doesn't mean it's a sure bet that he will it just means that that is his career potential.

He does seem to be on the right track though. :)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Let's not forget... not to diminish Ward's play... but Roloson wins the Conn Smythe & Edmonton wins the Cup if he doesn't get injured.

Or Edmonton loses in 5 rather then 7... don't forget that this is the same Roloson that gave up 4 goals in a span of less then one period in game 1. Don't forget that Markkanen pretymuch mached Cam Ward after game 2. That's the thing about "what if's", don't prove anything.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Or Edmonton loses in 5 rather then 7... don't forget that this is the same Roloson that gave up 4 goals in a span of less then one period in game 1. Don't forget that Markkanen pretymuch mached Cam Ward after game 2. That's the thing about "what if's", don't prove anything.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: matched Ward after game 2? Yeah right

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
You're dreaming.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
Oh no he's not above lundqvist don't even try, lundy was playing hurt during the playoff and yes! He backstopped the rangers turnaround season! I will go along with ranking ward equal to Lundy but not above

Traktor*

They guy as been a winner at every level.. whl, ahl, nhl.. well worth the 9.0

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
They guy as been a winner at every level.. whl, ahl, nhl.. well worth the 9.0

i agree, he's one of the few who's imo not underrated by hfboards, how can Colby Armstrong be a 7.5B when we all know he'l put up 50, 60 goals a season one day playing with either Crosby or Malkin, or how can Latendresse be a 7.5C when his max is first line PW potential

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
i agree, he's one of the few who's imo not underrated by hfboards, how can Colby Armstrong be a 7.5B when we all know he'l put up 50, 60 goals a season one day playing with either Crosby or Malkin, or how can Latendresse be a 7.5C when his max is first line PW potential

50,60 goals? no way, even with Crosby. And those rankings are based on how good a player is, not what kind of production they will put up.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004

Are you kidding me?? Latendresse might be even overrated if he's really 7.5C, atleast the 7.5 part.

Colby Armstrong 50-60goals?? You have to be kidding me!

da_pope*

Cups shouldn't be used to judge someone's skill level and/or potential.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Cups shouldn't be used to judge someone's skill level and/or potential.

No personal statsitcis like save % and GAA are more important. :sarcasm:

ONLY in the minds of asome on HF is winning not the definitive measure of a player's greatness. :shakehead

When one talks about a player's potential, what is that potential mean? winning shiny personal trophies? Having the best personal stats so the fantasy team does well?

Or winning Stanely Cups. In the reality of the NHl, the latter is what they play for. Yes, it's a team game, but superb players make for superb (cup winning) teams.

Cam Ward backstopped (read: was a MAJOR contributor) a Cup team at a very young age , the ultimate accomplishment, teama and player wise. for that he receives demerits in the bizarro world of HF, and is likely headed toward Martin Brodeur status here. Meaning, the more he wins, the less credit he will get. ("He plays on a greeeeeat team!" :shakehead )

Meanwhile let's look at the goalies with the top personal stats who win nothing and deem them the greatest. The "Roberto Luongo Martyr Complex".

Cup wining goalie? So what? Give me my save percentage and video highlight saves! Give me a good goalie on an inferior team. That's what's MOST important.

Backwards, but predictable here.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
No personal statsitcis like save % and GAA are more important. :sarcasm:

ONLY in the minds of asome on HF is winning not the definitive measure of a player's greatness. :shakehead

When one talks about a player's potential, what is that potential mean? winning shiny personal trophies? Having the best personal stats so the fantasy team does well?

Or winning Stanely Cups. In the reality of the NHl, the latter is what they play for. Yes, it's a team game, but superb players make for superb (cup winning) teams.

Cam Ward backstopped (read: was a MAJOR contributor) a Cup team at a very young age , the ultimate accomplishment, teama and player wise. for that he receives demerits in the bizarro world of HF, and is likely headed toward Martin Brodeur status here. Meaning, the more he wins, the less credit he will get. ("He plays on a greeeeeat team!" :shakehead )

Meanwhile let's look at the goalies with the top personal stats who win nothing and deem them the greatest. The "Roberto Luongo Martyr Complex".

Cup wining goalie? So what? Give me my save percentage and video highlight saves! Give me a good goalie on an inferior team. That's what's MOST important.

Backwards, but predictable here.

Ok so Andrew Ladd will be more coveted than Ovechkin and Crosby since he has won the cup according to your theory?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Chris Osgood and Mike Vernon both won Cups in Detroit, I guess that makes them better goalies than Kipper, Luongo, Cujo etc.

Using the number of TEAM ACHIEVEMENTS (number of SCs etc) as evidence of personal performance is beyond ridiculous.

Cam Ward wasn't even the no.1 goalie of his team in the regular season, hell he played back-up for Martin Gerber and people are comparing him to the likes of Roy, Brodeur and Hasek??

Roloson was better than Ward in the play-offs, had Roloson not been injured he might have won the Conn Smythe even with Oilers losing the series (Giguere style).

Sorry but I just don't see Ward as 9.0, he played behind a great team and while played great, I just don't see Roy/Hasek-type of potential in him. Purely IMHO of course.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
But if a goalie doesn't show up for the regular season he can't be considered a great play. Gerber essentially got this team to the playoffs and then Ward carried it from there. Had Ward been the starter all year this would have been a borderline playoff team.

id much rather have a playoff goalie whos amazing under pressure and knows how to win then a super star goalie who cant win a thing for his life

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
id much rather have a playoff goalie whos amazing under pressure and knows how to win then a super star goalie who cant win a thing for his life

But without a goalie who performs well in the regular season chances are you won't get to the playoffs

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Here's what I don't understand. All playoff long, it was "Carolina's only here because of Ward" and "The Hurricanes will only go as far as that hot goaltender of theirs takes them, once he cools off, they're done."

Now we get the ranking for how good he could be one day, if he lives up to his potential and every one says things like "He was only good because he was in a great defensive team," and "He just won one stanley cup, let's see him win three."

I think people are more interested in bashing the Hurricanes than whatever ranking Cam Ward got.

KariyaIsGod*

If the regular season meant nothing, Claude Lemieux would be a Hall of Famer...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->