Cam Ward a 9.0B?!?!?!

TVanek26*

Ratings on here are usually just a big homer job anyway.

Wasn't Spezza a 9.5?

Bryzga lol*

But if a goalie doesn't show up for the regular season he can't be considered a great play. Gerber essentially got this team to the playoffs and then Ward carried it from there. Had Ward been the starter all year this would have been a borderline playoff team.

It was his first season, give him a break. He actually had a few really good moments in the regular season, stopping Lemieux, Palffy and Crosby in a shootout comes to mind.

The guy's been a winner wherever he's been, I really doubt he'll be another JS Giguère. He built his confidence in the playoffs and with Grahme as backup, he'll be playing most games next season. Expect this guy to have a strong career.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
It was his first season, give him a break. He actually had a few really good moments in the regular season, stopping Lemieux, Palffy and Crosby in a shootout comes to mind.

The guy's been a winner wherever he's been, I really doubt he'll be another JS Giguère. He built his confidence in the playoffs and with Grahme as backup, he'll be playing most games next season. Expect this guy to have a strong career.

I know, it wasn't at all meant to bash Ward. I was just posting in response to the guy who said that regular season doesn't mean anything, great players are made in the playoffs.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
It's not like Ward is going to be a great playoff goalie but bad regular season goalie all his life. Starting goalies in the NHL at his age are very rare, and he was understandably inconsistant during the regular season as a 21-year-old rookie.

The fact is, he's been a winner at all levels. Over a three-year span he was dominant in the CHL, then the AHL, then the NHL playoffs. There's little doubt in my mind he'll be a great starter this season for the 'Canes.

Randall Graves*

Sorry for being harsh but who ****ing cares...regular season means nothing. Great players play great in playoffs
Ok so he can suck during the season, how will they get back to the playoffs then? He played great but lets see him do it over an entire season before projecting him as a Broduer/Hasek caliber goaltender.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't even consider him a prospect anymore. But going on the assumption that Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, etc are 10A, I would probably rate Ward at 8.5A.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
I really don't understand that one on HF ratings...sure he's good, but nowhere near the Brodeur/Hasek level...

why not? 9 means he can play at the brodeur level
he sure showed he could in the playoffs this year

the B means he could fall a level below that, which is very possible as well

the rating is damn accurate if you ask me

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Ok so he can suck during the season, how will they get back to the playoffs then? He played great but lets see him do it over an entire season before projecting him as a Broduer/Hasek caliber goaltender.

Ok you and other members have a point, but what do you prefer? Superb regular season and sucky playoffs or sucky regular season and superb playoffs with a Cup on hands???

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005

they projected him to be a brodeur/hasek caliber goaltender (or a class below) before he ever played in the NHL, nevermind before he played in the playoffs :biglaugh:

thats why its a projection and so far hes living up to his billing, especially for his age - its incredible

nowhere in the rating does it specify that he'll be shattering goaltending stats in his rookie season, though he did win a cup and thats pretty good living up to potential to me

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia
Malkin should certainly be 9.5B. As regards Ward, he certainly showed that his upper potential is 9 (not 8!) - a really great goalie (but not generational goalie such as Roy, Brodeur and Hasek where each of these can be considered in the top5 all time goalie list and each would probably be rated as 9.5-10). Then again Ward might never be as good as he was during the 2006 playoffs - thus the B on the right side of 9 ;). Either way, he is among the best and most potent young goalies in the league now (along with Fleury, Lundquist and Lehtonen) and who knows which of these might turn out to have a carreer similar to the three HOF (present and future) superstars noted above.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Wasn't Spezza a 9.5?

Yeah, and Kovalchuk was a 10

He played great but lets see him do it over an entire season before projecting him as a Broduer/Hasek caliber goaltender.

? If you project players after real proof they are at that level, what's the point of projection? Ward has an interesting combo of potential and achievements, and it's understandable to think he has elite potential IMO.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Isn't Malkin the same? I know who I'd rather have...

Most Carolina fans feel the same way. Without Cam Ward, we wouldn't have a Stanley Cup this year. Without Malkin, Pittsburgh wouldn't have a media circus and comic strip going daily about his adventures escaping Russia. Until Malkin does anything at the NHL level, how about we slow the hype machine. There is a chance, albeit a slim one, that Malkin will never win a Conn Smythe or a Stanley Cup. With the common theme being Franchise goaltenders are more valuable than Franchise forwards, Ward could probably draw a few teams interest over Malkin.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Like someone said, some writers are more objective than others.

The editor for the Hurricanes does a fine job, and if i'm getting my information correctly isn't even a fan of the team. He does double duty and covers more than one team here. Plus, the ratings have to be cleared through the editors unless i'm mistaken about that as well. Since these rankings represent HF, they are usually the collective opinion of the Staff.

How exactly would you rate a goaltender who is 22 years old and already has a Conn Smythe?

Jimmypop316

Jun 21, 2005
The editor for the Hurricanes does a fine job, and if i'm getting my information correctly isn't even a fan of the team. He does double duty and covers more than one team here. Plus, the ratings have to be cleared through the editors unless i'm mistaken about that as well. Since these rankings represent HF, they are usually the collective opinion of the Staff.

How exactly would you rate a goaltender who is 22 years old and already has a Conn Smythe?
Thats simple, with a gold star.

He deserves his rating, and I'm looking forward to how he follows through with this next season. We'll see if he lives up to it, or just falls off like a Giguere. The difference being Ward is 22 and still is developing.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004

Who had a horrible stats in the regular season and while being very good in play-offs, didn't do anything THAT great (and played behind a great defensive team)?

I think at this point he could be a 8.0B, maybe 8.5B or 9.0C.

I mean while play-offs are naturally more important than regular season, we can't just dismiss the regular season like that.

I'm just wary of giving 9.0 rankings to players other than the likes of AO or Crosby.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Comparing MAF to Ward on an individual skill level might be ok, but when you add in the team factor Ward reins supreme.

Malkin is rated a 9.5 as a prospect but Ward has a ring and the Smythe and is no longer a prospect.

3.68 GAA 28-14-8-2 Sv% 882 certainly does not look that impressive in the regular season.

23-15-8 2.14 GAA Sv% 920 however deserves accolades.

To put Ward into perspective he almost played as much games in the playoffs as he did in the regular season.

If Ward continues his playoff performance throughout the 06-07 season as the starter, who knows what his limits are.

Of young goalies(25U) few would take anyone over Ward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad