Cam Ward 2010-11 Season

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
The offseason is upon us and while we have a 2nd overall pick to look forward to, I still look back and reminisce about past seasons.

I want to pay homage to Cam Ward’s 2010-11 season.

We were 2 points away from the playoffs, but what he did that season was nuts. Leading the league in shots faced, he was able to win 37 games with a .923 sv pct.

The stat that really blows my mind is how many games he faced 40 or more shots in.

Ward: 17 games with 40 or more shots faced.
12-5 record.

Other notible goalies:

Thomas (Vezina): 9 games 4-5 record.
Price: 7 games 4-3 record
Rinne: 6 games 4-2 record
Lundqvist: 4 games 3-1 record
Luongo: 7 games 5-2 record

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Wasn't Corvo-Babchuk a top pairing for half the year? Yeesh no wonder Ward was stopping 40 some shots a night. And holy hell I don't know what happened to him but Justin Peters completely fell a cliff, he had a decent showing the previous season that never carried over. Actually same story with McBain, Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman. Flashes of brilliance and then 2011 kicked their ass into reality that they were not very good. And don't get me started on the atrocious power play. That Columbus game where they went 0-9, gave up two sorties, and lost 3-2 still eats at me. One of the most frustrating games I've dealt with while watching this team. And then there was the Tampa Bay game, win and you're in.......

All that aside that was a fun time to be a hockey fan here. All-star game, Checkers AHL first year, sending Brouder down the tunnel 5 minutes in on new years day, Brind'Amour jersey retirement.

Wait, what was the topic again?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I remember crunching some numbers years ago and came up with Ward facing what was really about 10 games per year more shots than most "elite" goalies. About 300 more shots a season at roughly 30 shots per game. He really was hung out to dry.

The problem was he was almost as likely to face 40+ shots a game than 30+. IIRC, he had some crazy number of games facing 40 or more shots (like 17, I believe). Had more 40+ shot games than Lundqvist, Quick, Luongo and Miller... combined.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
The problem was he was almost as likely to face 40+ shots a game than 30+. IIRC, he had some crazy number of games facing 40 or more shots (like 17, I believe). Had more 40+ shot games than Lundqvist, Quick, Luongo and Miller... combined.

Yea in my OP I noted that he had 17 games with 40 or more shots against with the next closest being 9. That’s absurd.

Last edited:

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
I remember crunching some numbers years ago and came up with Ward facing what was really about 10 games per year more shots than most "elite" goalies. About 300 more shots a season at roughly 30 shots per game. He really was hung out to dry.

Yea I’m not saying he is hall material, but looking back he was better than most people give him credit for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->