Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Not necessarily ludicrous. McDonagh might have been the Mo Lewis our franchise needs to reach dynasty mode. We might have found our Brady and it might be time to put the Bledsoe out to pasture. Come playoff time feed the hot guy.

When Talbot wins this town a cup in a couple months we might have a new king.

If this team wins a cup, Talbot will be watching from the bench.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Not necessarily ludicrous. McDonagh might have been the Mo Lewis our franchise needs to reach dynasty mode. We might have found our Brady and it might be time to put the Bledsoe out to pasture. Come playoff time feed the hot guy.

When Talbot wins this town a cup in a couple months we might have a new king.

post-303973-0-74299000-1413929485.gif

I tried to help you out man...

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
post-303973-0-74299000-1413929485.gif

I tried to help you out man...

Like the gif. Realize it might be a contrarian opinion. How much does "legacy" or off-ice stuff/marketing really matter?

If Hank comes back rusty you'd be ok with getting the nod because of history. I'm more worried about the present.

I'll put it like this: hypothetically, if Lundqvist isn't 100% and Cam gets the nod and wins the cup how would that alter your thinking?

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Like the gif. Realize it might be a contrarian opinion. How much does "legacy" or off-ice stuff/marketing really matter?

If Hank comes back rusty you'd be ok with getting the nod because of history. I'm more worried about the present.

I'll put it like this: hypothetically, if Lundqvist isn't 100% and Cam gets the nod and wins the cup how would that alter your thinking?

If, theoretically, Hank comes back and looks shaky to start AND management makes the rash decision to bench him in favor of Talbot and Talbot went on to win us the cup, first I'd be ****ing thrilled because we won the cup.

After celebrating, I will be excited to get maximum value for Talbot at the draft, because a cup winning goalie that was very good in the playoffs (which he would likely need to be if we theoretically won the cup) would likely fetch that first that we're looking for.

Why? How would Montreal have been if they traded Price in order to make Halak their starter after his miraculous playoff run?

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
He let in 4 more goals in that game...

I'm happy he's our backup, but let's not pretend he wasn't abysmal for a while. Consistency is what separates the backups from the starters. Talbot seems like he's either lights out or God awful. Not much in between.

No body but you believes that. Talbot has been nothing short of great since he took the reins. He has beaten the best teams in the league, the worst teams in the league and everything in between.

CaptainMcD

Jan 30, 2012
No body but you believes that. Talbot has been nothing short of great since he took the reins. He has beaten the best teams in the league, the worst teams in the league and everything in between.

Um... not sure how far your memory goes back... but he was giving up 3+ a night at the beginning... he was pretty bad early on.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Talbot has been great since March. Before that...yikes. The offense carried the team through February

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Memory has failed you! He gave up 3+ goals first 5-6 games. He has been lights out lately tho.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Um... not sure how far your memory goes back... but he was giving up 3+ a night at the beginning... he was pretty bad early on.

And we were still winning. Yea he let in a few bad goals but the team in front of him wasn't doing much defensively. Talbot has won games in many different fashions.

The first goal he let in tonight was shades of the first 5 games he played when he let in the bad ones. It happens.

You can just see his confidence expanding with each save he makes.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
And we were still winning. Yea he let in a few bad goals but the team in front of him wasn't doing much defensively. Talbot has won games in many different fashions.

I think this speaks loudly. He was letting up 3+ on a consistent basis while the team was playing bad defense. Now they're playing well and he's succeeding. Not saying he's not played well because he's bailed us out when the offense dried up, BUT the defense was still playing well.

Henrik was carrying us to playoff berths while the offense was abysmal and the defense was mediocre. We've all been saying, give Henrik a good team and watch him really flourish. We have a top 5 defense and a top 5 offense. Give Lundqvist his shot he deserves. It's not like we're putting a old beaten down HL in net. He's still a top 3 goalie.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
He did a favor to a guy that kept him from getting fired a long time ago

You honestly believe that?

I've presented the facts many times and nobody wants to listen to me.
Lundqvist is not the reason for our success. The team/coaching is.
Lundqvist is not even 1% better than the average NHL goalie so how in gods name can he have saved Sather's job? Come on, bro.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Good article on Cam's trade value, should be at least a 2nd rounder but I expect we'll get more:
http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2015/3/19/8232541/what-can-cam-talbot-bring-back-in-a-trade

They run down recent goalie trades:

March 2nd, 2015: The Buffalo Sabres Acquire a 3rd-round Pick and Chad Johnson From the New York Islanders in Return for Michal Neuvirth.

January 14th, 2015: The Arizona Coyotes Acquire a 3rd-round Pick From the Minnesota Wild in Return for Devan Dubnyk.

March 5th, 2014: The Calgary Flames Acquire a 2nd-Round Pick from the Colorado Avalanche in Return for Reto Berra

March 4th, 2014: The Anaheim Ducks Acquire a 3rd- and 5th-round pick From the Edmonton Oilers in return for Viktor Fasth

January 15th, 2014: Los Angeles Acquires a 3rd-Round Pick From Edmonton in Return for Ben Scrivens

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
You honestly believe that?

I've presented the facts many times and nobody wants to listen to me.
Lundqvist is not the reason for our success. The team/coaching is.
Lundqvist is not even 1% better than the average NHL goalie so how in gods name can he have saved Sather's job? Come on, bro.

He saved Sather's ass by leading the resurgence of the organization beginning in 2005. Those were incredibly flawed teams and Hank was the only reason we would ever make the playoffs, let alone win games at certain points.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Lundqvist isn't 1% better than the average NHL goalie? I have seen it all now.

Actually, I thought that when the same guy spewed that Tokarski = Price.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think this speaks loudly. He was letting up 3+ on a consistent basis while the team was playing bad defense. Now they're playing well and he's succeeding. Not saying he's not played well because he's bailed us out when the offense dried up, BUT the defense was still playing well.

Henrik was carrying us to playoff berths while the offense was abysmal and the defense was mediocre. We've all been saying, give Henrik a good team and watch him really flourish. We have a top 5 defense and a top 5 offense. Give Lundqvist his shot he deserves. It's not like we're putting a old beaten down HL in net. He's still a top 3 goalie.

I think it's a bit of both. he had some really bad softies that he let in, and lets not forget his puck handling woes when he's behind the net--he's let in 3 of those specific goals too!

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Lundqvist isn't 1% better than the average NHL goalie? I have seen it all now.

Actually, I thought that when the same guy spewed that Tokarski = Price.

Here are some numbers for you:

Average NHL goalie SV% since last season is about .914.
Lundqvist's save % since last season is .921.
Talbot's is .933.
Price's is .932.
Tokarski's is .922.

All 4 goalies are above league average. Lundqvist is <1% better. Talbot is >2% better. Price is 2% better. Tokarski is <1% better.

Ranking these goalies and taking their GP into account I'd say that since last year the order is: 1) Price, 2) Talbot, 3) Lundqvist and 4) Tokarski.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Come playoff time you need your goalie to make that impossible save to hold a 1-0 or 2-1 win on 40 shots. Lundqvist is your guy for that, Talbot doesn't have the resume for that job right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad