Management Cam Neely II

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Thought I’d bump this with all of the pitchforks out because of Sweeney and Cassidy. Where do Cam and his jumbo home-cooked meatballs fit into the blame pie?

Passionate and dumb. I’d say goodbye first but follow it up with Sweeney next. I’d replace Neely with an outside perspective and go from there.

But we know that won’t happen. I bet Jacobs fires a guy and wants the interim in-house so they can keep the same salary and he doesn’t have to pay someone new lmao

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Passionate and dumb. I’d say goodbye first but follow it up with Sweeney next. I’d replace Neely with an outside perspective and go from there.

But we know that won’t happen. I bet Jacobs fires a guy and wants the interim in-house so they can keep the same salary and he doesn’t have to pay someone new lmao
Passionate and dumb. Dumb? He’s certainly not dumb. Has done well for himself and the Bruins. I’m sure he’s looking in the mirror and thinking about his next move. There’s an uptick in stress for sure.

Reactions: Ladyfan

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Passionate and dumb. Dumb? He’s certainly not dumb. Has done well for himself and the Bruins. I’m sure he’s looking in the mirror and thinking about his next move. There’s an uptick in stress for sure.
He has signed off on several bad decisions and failed to put his foot down to stop them. Then, when he goes on radio and gets called out for the asinine moves that he was fine with, he gets sensitive and swears. The guy can dish out criticism but can't take it. He has proven to be a pretty mediocre hockey mind. If he absolutely has to be in an NHL organization, it should be more as a figure head who shakes hands with sponsors and local officials.

I also just can't stand the lying and hypocrisy that comes out of this organization, including from Cam. In 2014 he said they were getting sick and tired of spraying their young talent around the league, but then they traded Hamilton less than a year later. After Chiarelli was fired, Cam said they would have an "exhaustive search" for the next GM. All he did was walk 10 feet down the hallway to promote Sweeney. Back in 2016, he lied about the asking price for Eriksson at the deadline, based on what the top insiders were reporting. They were never going to trade Eriksson because he and the Jacobs family just wanted 2 dates of playoff revenue even though the team would've been swept. All he had to do was say we just wanted to make the playoffs.

Reactions: AM Bruin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He has signed off on several bad decisions and failed to put his foot down to stop them. Then, when he goes on radio and gets called out for the asinine moves that he was fine with, he gets sensitive and swears. The guy can dish out criticism but can't take it. He has proven to be a pretty mediocre hockey mind. If he absolutely has to be in an NHL organization, it should be more as a figure head who shakes hands with sponsors and local officials.

I also just can't stand the lying and hypocrisy that comes out of this organization, including from Cam. In 2014 he said they were getting sick and tired of spraying their young talent around the league, but then they traded Hamilton less than a year later. After Chiarelli was fired, Cam said they would have an "exhaustive search" for the next GM. All he did was walk 10 feet down the hallway to promote Sweeney. Back in 2016, he lied about the asking price for Eriksson at the deadline, based on what the top insiders were reporting. They were never going to trade Eriksson because he and the Jacobs family just wanted 2 dates of playoff revenue even though the team would've been swept. All he had to do was say we just wanted to make the playoffs.

team averages 100 points in his decade long tenure and he’s been to three cups as President.

pretty good resume

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

It seems that he needs to tell you everything that goes on behind closed doors. I didn’t know he owed you explanations for everything he does. People around here want to know everything. That’s not how it works. It’s a constant game of poker in that position, or should I say Sweeney’s position. They lie and say anything to get an edge. As far as his radio episode, Felger is a dink and plays the click bait card all the time. Weasel!
Sure Neely has made mistakes. Of course he has. I guess the problems lie at his feet about not micro managing. He doesn’t seem to be one of those guys. Maybe he needs to make a decision on Sweeney going forward. I’m sure he’s thinking about it.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
It seems that he needs to tell you everything that goes on behind closed doors. I didn’t know he owed you explanations for everything he does. People around here want to know everything. That’s not how it works. It’s a constant game of poker in that position, or should I say Sweeney’s position. They lie and say anything to get an edge. As far as his radio episode, Felger is a dink and plays the click bait card all the time. Weasel!
Sure Neely has made mistakes. Of course he has. I guess the problems lie at his feet about not micro managing. He doesn’t seem to be one of those guys. Maybe he needs to make a decision on Sweeney going forward. I’m sure he’s thinking about it.
Sweeney and Neely will fire Cassidy to buy themselves more time to clean up the flaws that were created by them, ironically. I think it's BS as they already used their get out of jail free card when they fired Claude, but I fully expect Cassidy to be fired if the team continues to look bad.

member 96824

There's a funny thing about Cam. He seems to be whatever the person talking wants him to be. Sweeney defender? Oh it's all Cam stepping in and making the bad decisions. Cam defender? Cam doesn't step in enough and Sweeney is running the show.

Both need to be gone because at the end of the day, the President's name is signed on every move....it's just funny how Cam represents this amorphous being in fans eyes

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
There's a funny thing about Cam. He seems to be whatever the person talking wants him to be. Sweeney defender? Oh it's all Cam stepping in and making the bad decisions. Cam defender? Cam doesn't step in enough and Sweeney is running the show.

Both need to be gone because at the end of the day, the President's name is signed on every move....it's just funny how Cam represents this amorphous being in fans eyes
I guess that applies to whom ever someone is talking about.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Neely should've been canned because of the whole Claude debacle. The question then was if it was the coach, players, or a management issue. Now we are here discussing if Cassidy should be on the way out. It seems like blame is never on the players or how Sweeney and Neely built the roster.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If you can separate your feelings for Cam Neely the player and Cam Neely the executive, then the answer should come real easy to you. If you can't, well, conversation over.
I think if something is going to happen, then they need to wipe all of them out. Start fresh. Question is with who? Who and what is an ideal starting point??? Who makes the call, Charlie or the old man?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I think if something is going to happen, then they need to wipe all of them out. Start fresh. Question is with who? Who and what is an ideal starting point??? Who makes the call, Charlie or the old man?

Charlie would have to complete the sentence first. Something I don’t see him doing. Jeremy would have to leave upstate NY.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If you can separate your feelings for Cam Neely the player and Cam Neely the executive, then the answer should come real easy to you. If you can't, well, conversation over.
I love Cam Neely the player and the person. What he did on the ice was marvelous. What he does to honor his parents and help families with loved ones fighting cancer is marvelous.

I met him once on an empty flight home from DC while he was rehabbing his knee (again). Talked to him a for about 45 minutes about hockey and life. He asked me as many questions about me and my life as I did him about his and hockey. We walked out the terminal together and I shook his hand and wished him well, as he did me. I like to think I’m a decent judge of character and he is a good man.

I agree his role as President is likely not conducive to our success as fans. I can certainly separate the two.

That said, our lives are a composite of everything we do and don’t. None of us a purely good. Thankfully few are purely bad.

I view Neely in the same light as Bergeron and Chara. Tremendous hockey players and good men off the ice.

If Neely hasn’t delivered off the ice for the Bruins as much as he delivered on the ice for the B’s so be it.

When he leaves Boston management, whenever, I will judge him for what he gave me as a fan and what he’s done for people who’s lives were broken and needed someone’s help. Good enough for me.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I love Cam Neely the player and the person. What he did on the ice was marvelous. What he does to honor his parents and help families with loved ones fighting cancer is marvelous.

I met him once on an empty flight home from DC while he was rehabbing his knee (again). Talked to him a for about 45 minutes about hockey and life. He asked me as many questions about me and my life as I did him about his and hockey. We walked out the terminal together and I shook his hand and wished him well, as he did me. I like to think I’m a decent judge of character and he is a good man.

I agree his role as President is likely not conducive to our success as fans. I can certainly separate the two.

That said, our lives are a composite of everything we do and don’t. None of us a purely good. Thankfully few are purely bad.

I view Neely in the same light as Bergeron and Chara. Tremendous hockey players and good men off the ice.

If Neely hasn’t delivered off the ice for the Bruins as much as he delivered on the ice for the B’s so be it.

When he leaves Boston management, whenever, I will judge him for what he gave me as a fan and what he’s done for people who’s lives were broken and needed someone’s help. Good enough for me.

Well said and great post here. At the end of it all, any dislike I have for people in the Bruins org or on the ice is purely hockey-related. I don't know any of them personally and have no desire to engage in some of the personal attacks that fly around here about these guys. If they aren't good at the job or role they are assigned, then so be it, and that is all it means. Cam does not seem to be doing a very good job as team President. But that is what he is doing with just one part of his life, not who he is as a person.

Reactions: Number8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad