Management Cam Neely II

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
Neely wanted up tempo and hard hitting

His mistake was bringing guys like Rinaldo in

Always felt bad for Sweeney when I heard the lo down

Cams active but after burning his hand a few times he's letting Sweeney, JFJ, Bradley and all run the team

Sweeney over ruled him on the original firing after Detroit game and made the call on Patriots Day

Neely wasn't there because Sweeney is in charge now

But Sweeney did not make the horrendous decision when to hold it

Fenway, is Heidi Holland still there? I'm assuming she is. She is a holdover from the Harry days

Heidi is listed as DIRECTOR OF PUBLICATIONS & INFORMATION under COMMUNICATIONS. I believe she was discussed here a little during last off-season and someone mentioned that was essentially the "Team Historian"

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Cam Neely scores with health center

011618marlNeely.jpg

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Watching Torey Krug and Jake DeBrusk account for 3 goals reminded me how Cam Neely as the trade deadline approached pulled the plug on a horrific deal Peter Chiarelli was about to make that would have sent multiple pieces believed to include Torey Krug, Ryan Spooner, the Bruins 2015 first rounder (DeBrusk) and a future second for UFA Antoine Vermette, Yandle, and AHLer Lukas Lessio

This trade would have ruined what we have now

Thank you President Neely

Last edited:

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Watching Torey Krug and Jake DeBrusk account for 3 goals reminded me how Cam Neely as the trade deadline approached pulled the plug on a horrific deal Peter Chiarelli was about to make that would have sent multiple pieces believed to include Torey Krug, Ryan Spooner, the Bruins 2015 first rounder (DeBrusk) and a future second for UFA Antoine Vermette, Yandle, and AHLer Lukas Lessio

This trade would have ruined what we have now

Thank you President Neely
Isn’t that the proposed deal that was the last straw for Chiarelli in Boston, in that when Neely told him “no”, Peter knew he was going to be fired? Don’t know how the two 2nd rounders (2015: Matthew Spencer, 2016: Boris Katchouk) for Brett Connolly got through though...

That rumored deal struck me at the time as a “save-my-ass” proposal in that it felt like he was going for a deal that he thought would help him find the quarter or conference finals and thus he would be returning for the next season.

Thank you President Neely is right.

:clap:

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Isn’t that the proposed deal that was the last straw for Chiarelli in Boston, in that when Neely told him “no”, Peter knew he was going to be fired? Don’t know how the two 2nd rounders (2015: Matthew Spencer, 2016: Boris Katchouk) for Brett Connolly got through though...

That rumored deal struck me at the time as a “save-my-ass” proposal in that it felt like he was going for a deal that he thought would help him find the quarter or conference finals and thus he would be returning for the next season.

Thank you President Neely is right.

:clap:
Yes and in fairness when the GMs feel the pressure there careers are in trouble they no longer think long term

I remember Bobby Clarke trading for goalie Ken Wregget a middle of the pack tender in return sending the Leafs a good chunk of the Flyers future

George McPhee with Washington including Filip Forsberg in a deal for a washed up depth piece in Martin Erat -,HF exploded at the time how bad this deal was

There are many save thy ass trades and the Coyotes one with Keith Yandle the center piece would have been a killer

Ironically the Coyotes did well splitting up Yandle and Vermette in separate deals to Chicago and the Rangers

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`ve been pretty vocal about Neely, his inexperience with the business side of things in the game. Have always felt I wanted to see someone with experience in that seat. Now I`m wondering if I`ve jumped over to the other side simply because the on ice talent is not just winning but also entertaining. Either way, I`m still not ready to concede I was wrong about Neely, but I`m gently reaching, just a touch close to my fork for yet again, a taste of crow

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I`ve been pretty vocal about Neely, his inexperience with the business side of things in the game. Have always felt I wanted to see someone with experience in that seat. Now I`m wondering if I`ve jumped over to the other side simply because the on ice talent is not just winning but also entertaining. Either way, I`m still not ready to concede I was wrong about Neely, but I`m gently reaching, just a touch close to my fork for yet again, a taste of crow
Good man!

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Cam Neely is my favorite Bruin player of all time. And for a guy who started rabidly watching the B's in 1970 -- that is no small statement.

I've not always been sold on him as President, but the bottom line is he and Don Sweeney have got us to a point where the fanbase is understandably excited. If there were a few hiccups along the way i'm reminded that Rome was not built in a day and that there were a few nasty instances of infighting along the way. :laugh:

Bottom line for me remains: Best power forward in history of Boston. Arguably the most gifted natural goal scorer. Nasty, mean, short-tempered and dominating on the ice. Committed in a way that is hard to describe -- I'd not have wanted to go through all that rehab and pain. True humanitarian off the ice -- the Neely House is a massive success and a real gift to people who truly need a break in life.... people who's personal situation makes them not care or notice what goes on in sporting world. And to top it all off, I met him while on an empty flight from DC to Boston in the middle of the day and quickly realized what an intelligent and thoughtful guy he is. It was when he was recovering from yet another knee issue stemming from that ass hole Samuellsson. He and I chatted for maybe 20-30 minutes and walked out of the airport together. He asked me as many questions about what I did as I did about hockey and the B's. Just a very nice guy and a pleasure to talk to.

I don't care if he ends up being the best or worst NHL President in the history of the game. In this fan's book he's already solidified his standing. He's already given Boston so much.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
A couple of points regarding the press conference today

- Same answer as Don regarding the UFAs (we will see/consider cap)
- Expected more from Rick Nash. Blamed on his injury late season for lack of production
-A bit of concern on the left side of defensive core (Krug, Grz). He would like to see Krug improve on his skating. In general they will assess the situation

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Jacobs also mentioned that he hopes to see the team able to fully adapt to the modern hockey era (speed) - along these lines. Starting next season

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Cam Neely isn’t a fan of the current state of NHL officiating - The Boston Globe

Some 10 days after the Bruins’ season ended, the sting of some poor and questionable officiating in the playoffs still irritates club president Cam Neely.

“I think it does need to be addressed,” said Neely, chatting in a scrum with reporters Thursday following team ownership’s annual end-of-season press conference at TD Garden. “The game’s gotten faster and there was a lot great, exciting matchups in the playoffs. And a lot of the talk — not just our series, but in other series — was the officiating.”

“How they don’t make that call ... we are up, 3-2, with seven minutes to go. Now we should be going on the power play. Whether we score or not, it might chew up two minutes of the game and we have a different mindset going down to Tampa. It’s the non-calls that really frustrated me the most.”

“It is something the league has to look at,” Neely said. “They have to go back and look at all the games, and I know they do that after every game — but I think they really need to take a hard look at what’s happening with the refereeing. Because the game’s gotten that much faster, are the referees keeping up with the pace of the game? It’s fast out there.”

Reactions: Silva and sooshii

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I've never really understood why some here hate Cam so much. I've felt like he has done okay in interviews, and I can't argue with the concept of the team he and Sweeney are trying to build. So far so good. :dunno:

Reactions: TwineTickler

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I've never really understood why some here hate Cam so much. I've felt like he has done okay in interviews, and I can't argue with the concept of the team he and Sweeney are trying to build. So far so good. :dunno:
Many are eating crow.

Reactions: Dr Hook

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I think it stems mainly from the Seguin trade and the way Chiarelli fizzled out. Then they transitioned to Sweeney and had a chance to move on and change the face of the organization after PC, and really put their own stamp on it, yet seemed to play it safe (for themselves). They retained Claude and he spit the bit hard twice, gagging away playoff spots late in the season. The inaction there, when a change was clearly needed, coupled with the inaction on PC, and the Seguin deal, was the reason he fell out of favor and caught the ire from a lot of fans, IMO. He and Sweeney righted the ship though, and as long as he stays behind the scenes and doesn't inject himself into the decision making process like he seemingly did on Seguin, I'm fine with it.

Reactions: Estlin and Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad