DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Neely always always always wanted an uptempo team

A plus

Neely said Claude wanted to win 0-0

Bingo

Neely deserves the F for the handling of the press conference

Neely I've heard privately from 2 known media guys once last year and once since the press conference Neely made the Rinaldo deal

Neely needs to support Sweeney but not co GM

One of the two said this is what has happened.

We shall see

Good interview

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My opinion of Bruins management including Mr. Neely has not changed one bit. I don't care if he or they give a thousand good interviews, they are the problem, Cassidy's success is only masking it as Julien's success once did.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
Personally, I really like Sweeney as a GM and I think he will ultimately do a great job.

Also, I ****ing hate Neely and the fact that he has anything to do with hockey decisions. GTFO

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Cam sounded pretty comfortable and straightforward.

He certainly did. That said, it still hasn't swayed my thinking that he is unqualified for that position. He's shown that he can't handle the heat when things turn bad publicly so I can't imagine it's much better behind the B (ugh ;))

I've also noticed that Sweeney has had more of a presence all of a sudden too. Seems like the Julien situation was really causing a lot of angst internally that they didn't want to address in public.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
My opinion of Bruins management including Mr. Neely has not changed one bit. I don't care if he or they give a thousand good interviews, they are the problem, Cassidy's success is only masking it as Julien's success once did.

If it were only this simple...but, unfortunately it never is.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Neely always always always wanted an uptempo team

A plus

Neely said Claude wanted to win 0-0

Bingo

Neely deserves the F for the handling of the press conference

Neely I've heard privately from 2 known media guys once last year and once since the press conference Neely made the Rinaldo deal

Neely needs to support Sweeney but not co GM

One of the two said this is what has happened.

We shall see

Good interview

If that is true that is a fireable offense imo. Maybe give him one more chance but not if he pulls that again. Not because giving away a 3rd is a huge deal but in principle, to start to try to do the GM's job and make a trade that everyone down to the casual hockey fan was terrible, that is the antithesis of what a president should be doing.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Neely's not getting any credit for the Julien firing. How come?

Seemed most posters felt Cam & Harry (not quite dead yet) Sinden were forcing it on Sweeney. But I guess if the B's lose 5 in row Neely will get credit again.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The one bad thing about making the playoffs is , we wont get to hear Neely grilled on Felger and Mazz :laugh:

The last interview was super awkward ... Felger and Mazz those !!??34 ... Were salavating at every opportunity to grill Neely

Now Neely can breath easy... Promoting his pal Sweeney was the right move

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Neely had the press conference at 4 or 5 and showed up and said we thank Claude for all he's done, however, we want to go in another direction and see how the players respond; then turn it over to Don without saying Sweeney made this call

He would look very good today

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Neely's not getting any credit for the Julien firing. How come?

Seemed most posters felt Cam & Harry (not quite dead yet) Sinden were forcing it on Sweeney. But I guess if the B's lose 5 in row Neely will get credit again.

You have been on HF for awhile now right? Are you surprised?

The one bad thing about making the playoffs is , we wont get to hear Neely grilled on Felger and Mazz :laugh:

The last interview was super awkward ... Felger and Mazz those !!??34 ... Were salavating at every opportunity to grill Neely

Now Neely can breath easy... Promoting his pal Sweeney was the right move

I have made this point before when anyone brings up the "good old boy club". If you look at the majority of the GM's, and other personnel guys in the league, they are ALL CONNECTED somehow.

It's like play the Kevin Bacon Six degrees of separation game, but with hockey. If Sweeney had been hired in STL as Armstrong's AGM, it would have been just as much a "good ole boy" move as the B's hiring him. Sweeney played for Armstrong his last year in DAL, and they are reportedly friends.

The connections are everywhere in a business where there is only so many people involved.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
I'm beginning to rethink my opinion regarding Cam Neely and his vision of the Bruins.

I was never anti-Cam but i was certainly leaning with the board that maybe we could do better.

However it looks like he was spot on regarding moving away from Julien. The team has been revitalized and the play much more up tempo and exciting.

In addition as the season wound down and after observing the first night of the playoffs, it's obvious to me that size still does matter. There is room for the smaller player now certainly, and the heavy heavy model looks to be gone forever, but man the game is still very physical when it really counts.

He was/is right that the Bruins need to get heavier and harder to play against. They have to be able to protect their players and wear down opponents and it can't all come from the defence.

The Bruins are going to have to be very smart in identifying which prospects they can package to upgrade the wing spots, they need more size up front, size with skill, which of course is the hardest thing to find. The Landeskog flirtation was a logical one, i can see what they are thinking.

Bottom line for me is that i'm less concerned about their overall direction then what i once was.

Reactions: Thrive

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ten years ago when Cam was hired - Charlie Jacobs tried to downplay what Neely brought to the table

“The family legacy is important [to the Jacobses], and Charlie is really doing everything he can in Boston,†says Abramson, the Sportservice president and family friend. “Sure, he wants to please his father. I think anyone would. His father built this business up. His father took over this business when he was 28 years old. That’s a hard act to follow. The chairman, he isn’t going to hug you. But when he lets you do things, that’s the biggest hug he could give you.â€

And what better way to return that embrace, to make Dad proud, than to take the heat that might otherwise be directed at Jeremy Jacobs? What better way than to be the fall guy?

I don’t care what you write about me, but don’t misrepresent my dad.

As the conversation—which will turn out to be our final sit-down—continues, Charlie Jacobs grows increasingly anxious. He asks if I’m sympathetic. I tell him that I don’t think he or his father can win in this town, that the public perception is cemented, that I wouldn’t want to be him. That just makes him more nervous. “Here you go out and paint a story that says, ‘Jacobs can’t win in this city,’†he says. “Isn’t that perpetuating?†He asks to see the story before it comes out, a request no journalist would grant, even though Jacobs swears it’s general practice, and claims that the Globe will show him a story to avoid “confrontations post-publication.†(The paper denies this.) When I refuse, things grow uncomfortable. Finally, Jacobs sighs in resignation. He looks frustrated and defeated and worried, like a man who wants to go off and hide, but can’t.

A few weeks later, during Bruins media day, the team introduces Cam Neely, Bruins hero and critic, as the new vice president. To everyone in attendance, it feels like the team is finally, and rightly, waving the white flag. It feels like Jacobs is about to do what he couldn’t during our conversation—step away from the spotlight. It just makes sense—keep him in town to oversee the operation, to be his father’s point man, but let the universally loved Neely be the face of the Bruins. As one of the team’s all-time greats, Neely had already served in that capacity as a player. When the Globe’s Dupont flat-out asks Neely if he’s ready to take over that role, to be the guy people identify with Bruins hockey, Neely doesn’t hesitate. “Absolutely,†he says.

A few moments later, I approach Jacobs and ask whether he agrees that Neely has just been designated the face of the franchise. He shoots me an incredulous look. “I would be real cautious doing that at this time,†Jacobs says. “We’re going to afford Cam every opportunity possible to be involved in this team. But Cam hasn’t worked for an NHL franchise before. So, while we’ll open doors for him in every aspect, including scouting, both professional and amateur, sitting down and prospecting, drafting, cap management, front office duties, I would be cautious to say that someone who has yet to work in the National Hockey League could come in and be the quote-unquote face of the franchise. That’s a rather large task.â€

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2007/11/charlie-in-charge/

Reading that it sounds like Charlie was not thrilled that Cam had been hired.

10 years later I ask - If the Bruins parted ways with Cam, would any other NHL team hire him? I doubt it.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Ten years ago when Cam was hired - Charlie Jacobs tried to downplay what Neely brought to the table

10 years later I ask - If the Bruins parted ways with Cam, would any other NHL team hire him? I doubt it.

I never read that article, thanks for posting. It really shows how uncomfortable Charlie Jacobs is in his own skin and with his lot in life. Sounds like he has a lot of angst following in his father's footsteps and he is clearly looking over his shoulder at his father's looming presence. And here we are 10 years later and it doesn't seem anything has changed at all, he hasn't seemed to grow into his role. That was really unsettling to read that piece.

And to answer your question: In my opinion, no Cam Neely wouldn't get hired by any othe NHL franchise period. He's just not cut out for an executive role in any capacity. Rep the team as an alumni? Absolutely. But he's clearly not qualified as management for any other franchise even with whatever experience he's been allowed to have here in Boston.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I never read that article, thanks for posting. It really shows how uncomfortable Charlie Jacobs is in his own skin and with his lot in life. Sounds like he has a lot of angst following in his father's footsteps and he is clearly looking over his shoulder at his father's looming presence. And here we are 10 years later and it doesn't seem anything has changed at all, he hasn't seemed to grow into his role. That was really unsettling to read that piece.

And to answer your question: In my opinion, no Cam Neely wouldn't get hired by any othe NHL franchise period. He's just not cut out for an executive role in any capacity. Rep the team as an alumni? Absolutely. But he's clearly not qualified as management for any other franchise even with whatever experience he's been allowed to have here in Boston.

Cam is respected around the league especially where he was stolen from!

I am not a Cam cheerer or basher but he would be hired in a second.
One thing about Cam is he gives DS backing so guys like Burke don't intimidate him into the ground!
I'll take Cam in a heartbeat as long as he and the idiot Jacobs Clan allow DS to do the work that requires a brain / hockey knowledge!
After all a figure head is just that!

Last edited by a moderator:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

What was the point of posting this?

10 years later and the B's have a Cup and another Finals appearance. The role Neely played in those accomplishments is debatable, but he was part of the FO team. Who knows if another team would hire him? Who knows if he would even want to stay in the hockey biz?

Also, I get that it's in vogue to bash Charlie Jacobs, but I don't think his response was out of line. A very inexperienced Neely had just been named to a FO position and CJ was asked by a reporter if Neely was the new "face of the franchise" and he said he would be cautious about it. I probably would have said the same thing.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Sounds more like he was trying to look out for him and let him grow into the role.

He would find another job with another organization in some capacity rather easily IMO.

Reactions: trenton1

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Neely wanted up tempo and hard hitting

His mistake was bringing guys like Rinaldo in

Always felt bad for Sweeney when I heard the lo down

Cams active but after burning his hand a few times he's letting Sweeney, JFJ, Bradley and all run the team

Sweeney over ruled him on the original firing after Detroit game and made the call on Patriots Day

Neely wasn't there because Sweeney is in charge now

But Sweeney did not make the horrendous decision when to hold it

Fenway, is Heidi Holland still there? I'm assuming she is. She is a holdover from the Harry days

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What was the point of posting this?

10 years later and the B's have a Cup and another Finals appearance. The role Neely played in those accomplishments is debatable, but he was part of the FO team. Who knows if another team would hire him? Who knows if he would even want to stay in the hockey biz?

Also, I get that it's in vogue to bash Charlie Jacobs, but I don't think his response was out of line. A very inexperienced Neely had just been named to a FO position and CJ was asked by a reporter if Neely was the new "face of the franchise" and he said he would be cautious about it. I probably would have said the same thing.

That was my read, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->