News Article: Cam Neely as a Hab ????

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
You have to admire Savard admitting to backing out of this Neely deal. :nod:

from si.com:

Suspend your disbelief for a moment and imagine this, if you can. While struggling mightily as a third-year NHL player with the Vancouver Canucks and on the precipice of becoming a bust, Cam Neely is dealt, not to the Boston Bruins, but to their hated rival, the Montreal Canadiens during the 1985-86 season. Just think about that for a minute and how so much would have been so different if that had happened. Mind blown, right?

Now you have to know that this is actually not just some sort of fantasy. It came very, very close to happening, according to the man who was at the center of the trade talks. In his recently released authorized biography, Serge Savard – Forever Canadien, the Habs legend detailed how he had a deal in ’85-86 with the Canucks that would have had the future Hall of Famer in a Canadiens uniform in exchange for the very workmanlike and unspectacular Mike McPhee. Savard balked on the deal and Neely was dealt to the Bruins that summer for Barry Pederson in one of the most lopsided trades in NHL history. (It turns out the McPhee traded probably would have worked out better for Vancouver, but would have been larceny nonetheless.)

“I was scared to death because I was a young manager,” Savard told TheHockeyNews.com. “I went to Vancouver and Tom Watt was the coach and he was my coach in Winnipeg so I knew him very well. And (Watt) was in love with McPhee. (Neely) was a young player and he wasn’t playing well and I knew McPhee was a pretty good player who would give me character. Not a lot of goals, but I kept him because I didn’t have the guts to make that trade.”

Full story: What if Cam Neely had been dealt to Montreal instead of Boston?

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
You have to admire Savard admitting to backing out of this Neely deal. :nod:

from si.com:

Suspend your disbelief for a moment and imagine this, if you can. While struggling mightily as a third-year NHL player with the Vancouver Canucks and on the precipice of becoming a bust, Cam Neely is dealt, not to the Boston Bruins, but to their hated rival, the Montreal Canadiens during the 1985-86 season. Just think about that for a minute and how so much would have been so different if that had happened. Mind blown, right?

Now you have to know that this is actually not just some sort of fantasy. It came very, very close to happening, according to the man who was at the center of the trade talks. In his recently released authorized biography, Serge Savard – Forever Canadien, the Habs legend detailed how he had a deal in ’85-86 with the Canucks that would have had the future Hall of Famer in a Canadiens uniform in exchange for the very workmanlike and unspectacular Mike McPhee. Savard balked on the deal and Neely was dealt to the Bruins that summer for Barry Pederson in one of the most lopsided trades in NHL history. (It turns out the McPhee traded probably would have worked out better for Vancouver, but would have been larceny nonetheless.)

“I was scared to death because I was a young manager,” Savard told TheHockeyNews.com. “I went to Vancouver and Tom Watt was the coach and he was my coach in Winnipeg so I knew him very well. And (Watt) was in love with McPhee. (Neely) was a young player and he wasn’t playing well and I knew McPhee was a pretty good player who would give me character. Not a lot of goals, but I kept him because I didn’t have the guts to make that trade.”

Full story: What if Cam Neely had been dealt to Montreal instead of Boston?

Yuck. Cam would have won the Cup as a player, though.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Did he pick someone for that chapter the same age as Pederson from that old Habs roster and say, "Eh, close enough"?

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I remember the Bruins trading for Jim Nill (from Vancouver, he was a dud) before Neely and saying to friends "they should've gotten that guy Neely" and then they did! I remember friends shitting on the trade and saying what a mistake it was, that Pederson was a star and "looked like Orr" as if that had anything to do with it. I also remember hearing a rumor about the Montreal trade after the B's traded for CM. At the time I worked with a guy who wrote for Sports Illustrated who grew up in Montreal and he would give me tidbits of info. He was a huge "hockey fan" and loved (if you can believe it) was a big fan of both the Bruins and Canadiens. He had the driest sense of humor and conversed with very few people there about hockey. I was a lucky one!
I left there in 1992, he passed away in 2017.
*Mods, please do with this as you see fit*
The author that I'm speaking of is Gerald F. Dionne. He was a PhD who I worked with at MIT L/L many years.
BTW: Dr. Dionne lived on the same street as Cam Neely and Harry Sinden in the Boston area.
Here is one of his articles.
PLAYING THE LOSING GAME

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Only if you take Bergevin.
72625063.jpg

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Ad