Cam Fowler

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Can we agree now that he was a HUGE steal? Picked 12th overall by Anaheim, made the team A's an 18 year old. He's scored 10 goals and 40 points, which is way more than Drew Doughty put up (using him as a comparison as both players entered the league at 18 years old). He's also led rookies in ice time for much of the year before Carlson took over. He also finished 10th in rookie scoring, and second among rookie defenders. He also became the second youngest rookie defenseman to score an OT GWG. His -25 is a bit bothersome, but that came from playing with Lilja and Mara, who basically stood around and let Fowler cover two guys. He's been a plus player since being paired with Sheldon Brookbank. Also, he's become the top quarterback on one of the top powerplays in the league. When we had a 5-3, he was the only defenseman on the ice as Getzlaf took Visnovsky's place on the point. Can we call him a serious steal at this point?

Ogopogo*

I don't really know why he dropped so far in the draft. I took him in my keeper pool in the 2nd round and I was quite happy about it.

The Ducks got a great player.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
I think he was a steal. I remember getting ripped apart by HF Boards last year when I suggested that at Fowler's ceiling was Brian Leetch. Meaning: strong offensive defencemen and PP quarterback, but above-average defensively. The NHL has changed too much for Fowler to put up Leetch-like numbers, and Leetch was a bit more naturally gifted offensively, but I think that potential is there.

I think he could end up being a perrenial 50-to-60 point, Norris contender.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think he was a steal. I remember getting ripped apart by HF Boards last year when I suggested that at Fowler's ceiling was Brian Leetch. Meaning: strong offensive defencemen and PP quarterback, but above-average defensively. The NHL has changed too much for Fowler to put up Leetch-like numbers, and Leetch was a bit more naturally gifted offensively, but I think that potential is there.

I think he could end up being a perrenial 50-to-60 point, Norris contender.

Honestly his defense is solid. I've seen him make some rookie mistakes, like trying to crosscheck a player off the puck, then misses. He looks like he knows what needs to be done, but just doesn't have the experience to get it done.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
I've only watched a handful of Ducks games this year, but he looked very good in all of them. I was especially impressed by the way he moved the puck. He always looked confident out there, and, that to me, is amazing to see for an 18 year old in the NHL. Also, coventional wisdom is that it takes D-men longer to develop. If Fowler stays healthy, and remains committed, I think he will be a regular Norris contender, as well as a Team USA Olympic regular.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Massive steal. The guy has elite potential and is already good. People look at the plus minus and say hes a disaster defensively, but everytime ive seen him hes been at least solid in that regard.

SomE*

He does play with some very gifted forwards. I don't think he puts up those numbers on most teams.

El Duderino

Aug 4, 2007
BC
I had him pegged at 3 behind Hall and Seguin... was surprised when he fell out of the top 5, and was shocked when he was picked after Dylan McIlrath was off the board!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't really know why he dropped so far in the draft. I took him in my keeper pool in the 2nd round and I was quite happy about it.

The Ducks got a great player.

The sky is the limit for this kid, but why did he drop? Because the way he carries himself. You want players who go out there and have their way so to speak. Who are willing to go outside their comfort box. Fowler ain't that... It's the risk with intangibles -- it's still decided on the ice, you don't get any style points.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Doughty was a Norris Candidate last year, but this year teams adjusted to his game and it was a more difficult season for him.

Fowler is a very solid player, but do not be surprised if he has a sophomore slump.
Teams will take runs at him and he will have to adjust his game.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Can we agree now that he was a HUGE steal? Picked 12th overall by Anaheim, made the team A's an 18 year old. He's scored 10 goals and 40 points, which is way more than Drew Doughty put up (using him as a comparison as both players entered the league at 18 years old). He's also led rookies in ice time for much of the year before Carlson took over. He also finished 10th in rookie scoring, and second among rookie defenders. He also became the second youngest rookie defenseman to score an OT GWG. His -25 is a bit bothersome, but that came from playing with Lilja and Mara, who basically stood around and let Fowler cover two guys. He's been a plus player since being paired with Sheldon Brookbank. Also, he's become the top quarterback on one of the top powerplays in the league. When we had a 5-3, he was the only defenseman on the ice as Getzlaf took Visnovsky's place on the point. Can we call him a serious steal at this point?

Don't think the comparison is necessary, it just ASKING for a fight.

But yeah, serious steal so far. Great pick!

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
I had him pegged at 3 behind Hall and Seguin... was surprised when he fell out of the top 5, and was shocked when he was picked after Dylan McIlrath was off the board!

I traded 11th overal (Ryan Johanssen) + 25th (Evgeny Kuznetsov) + 28th (Jaden Schwartz)

and I got 3rd overall (Fowler) + 59th overall (Stephen Johns ) + 99(Nolan Zajac)

I'm still happy and feel that fowler is worth every penny.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
We all knew he was a steal the day he was drafted, Mr. Ducks fan.

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
I traded 11th overal (Ryan Johanssen) + 25th (Evgeny Kuznetsov) + 28th (Jaden Schwartz)

and I got 3rd overall (Fowler) + 59th overall (Stephen Johns ) + 99(Nolan Zajac)

I'm still happy and feel that fowler is worth every penny.

:facepalm:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Great pick up by the Ducks, I'm sure a lot of teams are regretting passing up on him.

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
Fowler fell into a great situation with the Ducks. The team has done a great job developing the kid and he has flourished with the opportunity. How many young players get to live with Scott Niedermayer and have Randy Carlyle as his coach.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Agreed, Fowler went to the perfect situation. But Minnesota passing on Granlund would have been dumb. He was a steal only because he went to the right situation.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
We'll know if he's a steal in a few years. Michael del Zotto looked like a steal in his rookie year too and now he's back in the AHL.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I had him 2nd overall last year.

Of course, I also thought Jeff Jillson had Norris potential back in the day. :)

Jeff Jillson is certainly a mystery to me. When I see John Carlson play right now, it just reminds me of Jillson. I pray that Carlson doesnt fade away like Jillson has, but I really have no idea how Jillson went from future All-Star stud, to out of the league in a handful of years playing in European Pro leagues.

That kid was special at Michigan...My favorite years with Michigan 1998-2001 - Jillson, Hilbert, Komisarek, Comrie, Cammalleri, Ortmeyer, Langfeld, etc... Those teams were pretty awesome to watch.

As for Fowler, yeah he will be fine! ;) Has a solid shot at the 2014 US Olympic team as well.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
I'd call him more of a gift than a steal.

Gift: a great player, renowned before the draft that just fell to a team's lap

Steal: drafting a player that was projected to go way lower, but drafted higher and played exceptionally well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad