Proposal: Cam Fowler

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd hold onto him at least another year if I were Anaheim. And FWIW, Carlyle's thought process makes sense. On paper, those pairings the players seem to complement each other well, whereas you'd think the former ones would be "overkill." Sometimes what's on paper isn't reality.

See: Vlasic-Burns, and apparently Vlasic-Karlsson.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'd hold onto him at least another year if I were Anaheim. And FWIW, Carlyle's though process makes sense. On paper, those pairings the players seem to complement each other well, whereas you'd think the former ones would be "overkill." Sometimes what's on paper isn't reality.

See: Vlasic-Burns, and apparently Vlasic-Karlsson.

Yeah these were the pairings that a lot of us were wanting to see this year. Fowler and Manson have played extremely well together when Lindholm was out this past season. I'd give this set up more time, I don't think the pairings are the issue.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Athanasiou (AA) + 2nd for Fowler. If you need a depth D, Daley, Jensen, maybe Ericsson would be available for a cap dump in return as well or retention. Daley & Ericsson can play either side. Daley prefers R, E prefers L. Both LHShots. Jensen, RHS, can fly & is cheap. All expire this year, except Ericsson signed thru 19-20.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
So we move Fowler and our LHD depth takes a huge hit. Bad idea. I know he’s had struggles this season but so has everyone. The only personal that needs to go is the coach.

False..... Fowler is expendable with other LHD emerging. Pettersson has clearly shown he can play so far into the season. And Fowler isn’t needed he’s easily on the trade block for the right piece.

This is a RHD league that we’ve seen over the years regarding speed and getting the puck into the offensive zone. Fowler is expendable with our LHDs coming to fruition that is cheaper and can do the same thing,

Completely for the OP thread for negotiations.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’m pretty bad at making proposals but one thought I had was sending Fowler to Detroit (Cam grew up in Michigan, so the homecoming/childhood team incentive is there ) in exchange for one of Mantha/Athanasiou/Bertuzzi + pick(s).
What would you be looking for? Another young D coming back? A package, futures?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
False..... Fowler is expendable with other LHD emerging. Pettersson has clearly shown he can play so far into the season. And Fowler isn’t needed he’s easily on the trade block for the right piece.

This is a RHD league that we’ve seen over the years regarding speed and getting the puck into the offensive zone. Fowler is expendable with our LHDs coming to fruition that is cheaper and can do the same thing,

Completely for the OP thread for negotiations.
Pettersson has not shown he’s good enough to be playing top 4 minutes that Fowler does. What world do you live in dude?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Pettersson has not shown he’s good enough to be playing top 4 minutes that Fowler does. What world do you live in dude?

To be fair, at present Fowler doesn't look like he's good enough to play the top 4 minutes hes been playing, so there's that.

Reactions: 405Exit

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
To be fair, at present Fowler doesn't look like he's good enough to play the top 4 minutes hes been playing, so there's that.
He’s been better than Pettersson. And I don’t share the same opinion as you on Fowler, he’s definitely struggling but so is everyone. And he was damn good last year, don’t think that talent and skill disappeared in the off season.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Is this the new trend on HF Boards? Throwing established players on the scrap heap after less than 10 games?
I don't know if it's a HF thing, but it's been pretty common trent with Fowler in the Ducks board. He makes a mistake or has a bad game, and everyone wants to get rid of him and act like he's not an NHL player.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Is this the new trend on HF Boards? Throwing established players on the scrap heap after less than 10 games?

Bieksa is gone, so the new scapegoat is Fowler. All of our defenseman look worse than last year, hell a vast majority of the team looks worse than last year. I can't name one skater (outside of youngsters) that have taken positive strides this year sans Kesler, but that is more because he actually looks healthy.

When a player is 26, and has multiples years proving that he has an established strength of puck moving, but suddenly he has been turning the puck over like he's flipping pancakes. Could be sample size, but IMO, it's a system issue, as all of our defenseman have looked like crap. The Ducks are giving up like 40 shots per game, and the plan is to trade a top 4 defenseman? Sure, if we're upgrading, but that is highly unlikely to happen despite Anaheim having the assets to do so.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
One of the issues is how soft and tentative physically he looks.
Don’t know if he’s hurt or what, but he’s playing soft

But yes,mthe system is gsrbage

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Bertuzzi isn't in the same stratosphere as Mantha when it comes to trade value....... Even Athanasiou doesn't have as much value as Mantha.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I don't know if it's a HF thing, but it's been pretty common trent with Fowler in the Ducks board. He makes a mistake or has a bad game, and everyone wants to get rid of him and act like he's not an NHL player.

This is less an HF thing than a "my personal valuation of Fowler" thing. I have never thought as highly of his as most of my fellow Duck fans. His skating is fantastic and gives him an elite ability during transitions, but the multiple knee injuries he's has don't speak well towards any longevity of that particular skill. It's also led people to overlook the fact that he's abysmal in front of the goal. He's also fairly contact averse, so 90% of the time he'll dump the puck off to avoid a hit rather than taking it to make the play.

Excuses have been made for years that it's not Cam that's bad - its that they don't give him good enough defense partners, but IMO if you're one of the top 20 highest paid defensemen in the NHL you should be able to carry a subpar partner. Either way, he's got a fantastic partner now and doesn't look even a little bit better.

Mostly its just combination of the contract they gave him (which I feel was a big overpay - especially with the super restrictive NTC) and his regression in play has made me a bit saltier than usual. Feel free to ignore me and carry on.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This is less an HF thing than a "my personal valuation of Fowler" thing. I have never thought as highly of his as most of my fellow Duck fans. His skating is fantastic and gives him an elite ability during transitions, but the multiple knee injuries he's has don't speak well towards any longevity of that particular skill. It's also led people to overlook the fact that he's abysmal in front of the goal. He's also fairly contact averse, so 90% of the time he'll dump the puck off to avoid a hit rather than taking it to make the play.

Excuses have been made for years that it's not Cam that's bad - its that they don't give him good enough defense partners, but IMO if you're one of the top 20 highest paid defensemen in the NHL you should be able to carry a subpar partner. Either way, he's got a fantastic partner now and doesn't look even a little bit better.

Mostly its just combination of the contract they gave him (which I feel was a big overpay - especially with the super restrictive NTC) and his regression in play has made me a bit saltier than usual. Feel free to ignore me and carry on.
His transition ability is pretty important imo, it’s not something that should be an after thought. Also I’m not that upset about him being less physical than other players, because we have other players who can fill in that role (at least we did before everyone became crap this season). And with his injury issues in the past, I can understand him wanting to avoid unnecessary hits at this point.

He hasn’t been paid that highly for that long (this is his first season on the new deal right?). For the 4 mil he was making, and the partners he had, he was a good top pairing guy for us. I think we’ll start seeing more defenseman make more than him once some of their other established defenseman current contracts come up and the younger guys just entering the league get their pay days. So I don’t think he’ll be one of the top 20 highest paid D in the league for long.

And I can understand where you’re coming from. I guess I just think it’s a bit unfair how much and how quickly people turn on Fowler, especially after how good he was last season. At this point, with near everyone playing way below their capabilities, it’s unfair to single him out so much. I won’t ignore you for it, just offering my opinion on the matter.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
His transition ability is pretty important imo, it’s not something that should be an after thought. Also I’m not that upset about him being less physical than other players, because we have other players who can fill in that role (at least we did before everyone became crap this season). And with his injury issues in the past, I can understand him wanting to avoid unnecessary hits at this point.

He hasn’t been paid that highly for that long (this is his first season on the new deal right?). For the 4 mil he was making, and the partners he had, he was a good top pairing guy for us. I think we’ll start seeing more defenseman make more than him once some of their other established defenseman current contracts come up and the younger guys just entering the league get their pay days. So I don’t think he’ll be one of the top 20 highest paid D in the league for long.

And I can understand where you’re coming from. I guess I just think it’s a bit unfair how much and how quickly people turn on Fowler, especially after how good he was last season. At this point, with near everyone playing way below their capabilities, it’s unfair to single him out so much. I won’t ignore you for it, just offering my opinion on the matter.

Well said

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010

Less physical is definitely allowed for a player like Cam. Nobody is demanding he throw huge hits and be a monster. A little tougher in front of the net would be nice though
But when you are the puck retriever and transition guy, you can’t shy away from getting hit. It took him a long time to not shy away from contact after Stoll wrecked him, and when he got going he was great. But now a few more injuries, and he just looks like he doesn’t want to get hit, and he’s giving the puck up more due to that.
Again, maybe he’s not 100%, but he’s definitely deserving of finger pointing right now solely based on his play. Manson and Montour have been a mess too mostly fwiw.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

He doesn’t deserve top 4 minutes he’s been garbage. You’re also the Nick Ritchie fan who can barely hit 10 goals. So I take your comments and opinions with a grain of salt. Get off your high horse and come to realization on this planet earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad