Proposal: Cam Fowler

wraparound

May 17, 2014
He’s taken several strides backwards in his play this season, and despite how well he played with Montour last season, Carlyle has insisted on playing the new pairings of Fowler-Manson & Lindholm-Montour.

Fowler has never had the benefit of a steady, dependable partner for longer than a season, and it could be that he needs a ‘change of scenery’ as they say. To this end, who would be a good trade partner for Anaheim? Note that Fowler has a 4-team trade approval list, so that’s a biiiiig wrinkle. But for the sake of an online thread let’s have fun with it and see what people think.

I’m pretty bad at making proposals but one thought I had was sending Fowler to Detroit (Cam grew up in Michigan, so the homecoming/childhood team incentive is there ) in exchange for one of Mantha/Athanasiou/Bertuzzi + pick(s).

Curious to see your thoughts, thanks for playing ;)

wraparound

May 17, 2014
So we move Fowler and our LHD depth takes a huge hit. Bad idea. I know he’s had struggles this season but so has everyone. The only personal that needs to go is the coach.
I hear NYI might be listening on Leddy... ;)

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
So, we have a bad coach... therefore, sell our team? I think this is a terrible idea. Our goalie and our top 4 D is the strength of our team now, and they're all young.

This thread should be about trying to find a way to trade Randy Carlyle. I would say a bag of pucks, but I don't want to start too high. One puck and future considerations???

Reactions: lwvs84

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I’d ALMOST take Bieksa back if they’d get rid of Carlyle

As far as Fowler, he’s the same guys he’s always been.
Great skater, pretty good positioning, soft as baby crap and loses battles.
I’m hoping it’s coaching, but our vaunted young d suck right now

Reactions: Doothpick

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Long term Cam is 100% the odd man out. No question, Especially with Mahura and Larsson waiting in the wings at a fraction of the price .

Reactions: MisterT

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Unprotected 1st feels like a non-negotiable if we’re sending Fowler to the Oil. Now would Cam approve a trade to Edmonton? I have a hard time thinking he would but stranger things have happened..

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Pretty solid offer, id guess the 1st would have some sort of protection

I doubt there would be any protection. Puljujarvi is a project that they are giving up on, and sekera is 33. Unless if Fowler has fallen off a cliff, a no protection is fair, unless if it's like top 3 protection in which case it probably won't matter anyways because Edmonton isn't picking that high.

Reactions: wraparound

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Unprotected 1st feels like a non-negotiable if we’re sending Fowler to the Oil. Now would Cam approve a trade to Edmonton? I have a hard time thinking he would but stranger things have happened..
Idk... fowler is having a pretty bad season... and has a rather large contract... I think Edmonton would want at least top 3 protection(don't want to be in a similar situation to Ott. on Duchene trade)… As for would fowler be open to that move... idk... but a chance to play with McDavid is likely a pretty good selling point, not to mention hed likely be a solid partner for a guy like Bouchard to learn with. At the end of the day Pulj is still just 20, and has a lot of potential(granted I said same thing about yak :D)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Larsson is trending towards a bust, and we still have a couple years for mahura.
Idk that he is trending as a bust, hes looked fine at the NHL level... just stuck behind fowler/Lindholm/theodore the last few seasons.

I don't think pettersson looked better than Larsson in preseason/camps... but the team was more comfortable with Pettersson.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Leet's end this thread. Fowler has a NTC...modified he can be traded to only four teams. I'm sure the Oilers aren't on his list.
I think its plausible that Detroit/Edmonton could be on his list... and even tho he has a 4 team list I assume he can agree to more than 4 if we had a few offers on the table.. and if thinks weren't working out for him.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I think its plausible that Detroit/Edmonton could be on his list... and even tho he has a 4 team list I assume he can agree to more than 4 if we had a few offers on the table.. and if thinks weren't working out for him.

It's hard to me to believe that an American (yes he would born in Windsor Not) would waive for Oilers, especially after living in California. Oilers have the worse travel in the league and about worse weather. And it's not like they have an enticing team to play for. Your correct, he could expand that 4 team list but Oiler unlikely, but as you suggest maybe the Wings. That cap hit of 6.75m makes in difficult for a lot of teams even the Oilers or Wings to accept unless equal money was returned.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's hard to me to believe that an American (yes he would born in Windsor Not) would waive for Oilers, especially after living in California. Oilers have the worse travel in the league and about worse weather. And it's not like they have an enticing team to play for. Your correct, he could expand that 4 team list but Oiler unlikely, but as you suggest maybe the Wings. That cap hit of 6.75m makes in difficult for a lot of teams even the Oilers or Wings to accept unless equal money was returned.
Fair points, but I think its not farfetched to at least discuss the possibilities.

I think McDavid/history of Edmonton is enticing to a lot of players.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Detroit maybe, I highly doubt Edmonton though.

Our biggest issue has been getting out of our own zone with control and possession, that has always been something at which Fowler has been elite. We don't need to trade him and downgrade to a rookie, we need him to remove his head from his hindquarters and start playing his game again.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Detroit maybe, I highly doubt Edmonton though.

Our biggest issue has been getting out of our own zone with control and possession, that has always been something at which Fowler has been elite. We don't need to trade him and downgrade to a rookie, we need him to remove his head from his hindquarters and start playing his game again.

I think this just points to the fact that it's the "Carlyle Fast" system they're being forced to play and not Cam at all. Let's face it, most of our D has looked bad so far this year.

I think RC is purposely coaching us into the ground because he's not allowed to have a fighter plug on his 4th line. Hell hath no fury like a coach (who the game has passed by) scorned!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad