Cam Barker - Who compares to this guy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
The guy is putting up some pretty impressive numbers with the Medicine Hat Tigers so far this season at the tender age of 17!!

Has there been another 17 yr old D-man in recent years to put up these kinds of numbers, with Barker's size at 6'3, toughness and skating ability?

I mean, what isn't there to like about this kid?? To me, any weaknesses are heavily outweighed by his strengths!

To date Barker is at 19 goals, 41 assists, 60 pts and 101 pims. Throw in a +16 and thats a pretty impressive package. The kid has blown away the numbers put up by Coburn, Phaneuf and Seabrooke last and they were all Top 15 selections.

Barker is a sure bet for Top 3 in this years NHL Draft and I wouldn't be surprised if he went #2 overall to Columbus.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
HabLover said:
The guy is putting up some pretty impressive numbers with the Medicine Hat Tigers so far this season at the tender age of 17!!

Has there been another 17 yr old D-man in recent years to put up these kinds of numbers, with Barker's size at 6'3, toughness and skating ability?

I mean, what isn't there to like about this kid?? To me, any weaknesses are heavily outweighed by his strengths!

To date Barker is at 19 goals, 41 assists, 60 pts and 101 pims. Throw in a +16 and thats a pretty impressive package. The kid has blown away the numbers put up by Coburn, Phaneuf and Seabrooke last and they were all Top 15 selections.

Barker is a sure bet for Top 3 in this years NHL Draft and I wouldn't be surprised if he went #2 overall to Columbus.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot of Sergei Gonchar in him. Similar offensive ability (although Gonchar may use his shot more and skating ability less), very comparable size, and similar flaws (average defensive ability....).

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Hossa said:
Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot of Sergei Gonchar in him. Similar offensive ability (although Gonchar may use his shot more and skating ability less), very comparable size, and similar flaws (average defensive ability....).

Let see, Caps trade Gonchar, fall in standings, draft Barker, and ten years from now, we're right back where we started. :joker:

Excitement.

HabLover said:

There have been a few with comparable numbers as 17 year olds in recent years.

Jay Bouwmeester 61 14-39-53 3rd Overall
Dan Hamhuis 62 13-46-59 12th Overall
Paul Mara 44 9-34-43 7th Overall
Nick Boynton 63 13-51-64 9th Overall

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
There have been a few with comparable numbers as 17 year olds in recent years.

Jay Bouwmeester 61 14-39-53 3rd Overall
Dan Hamhuis 62 13-46-59 12th Overall
Paul Mara 44 9-34-43 7th Overall
Nick Boynton 63 13-51-64 9th Overall

Impressive numbers by these guys, especially Boynton at 17 yrs old.

Hamhuis put up those numbers you posted at 18 yrs old, he had 33pts at 17.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
HabLover said:

I think you're being a little too generous with the term "sure bet". He certainly isn't a sure bet to go top 3 at this point. There are very few sure bets in the draft. For example in 97 not every team had Joe Thornton on the top of their list. There were teams that had Luongo on top and teams that would have taken Marleau first. There isn't nearly as much consensus as some fans seem to think there is. For Barker to be a sure bet to go top 3 that would mean EVERY team in the league would have to have him top 3 and the chances of that are very remote.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I think you're being a little too generous with the term "sure bet". He certainly isn't a sure bet to go top 3 at this point. There are very few sure bets in the draft. For example in 97 not every team had Joe Thornton on the top of their list. There were teams that had Luongo on top and teams that would have taken Marleau first. There isn't nearly as much consensus as some fans seem to think there is. For Barker to be a sure bet to go top 3 that would mean EVERY team in the league would have to have him top 3 and the chances of that are very remote.

Yup same can be said of Schremp, I know a lot of people love this guy, BUT his attitude has made him drop out of most people's top 10, while others have him going as high as 2nd or 3rd, but it all depends on the team and their needs.

TKLOOCH22

Jul 23, 2002
Nueva York
Visit site
rnyquist said:
Yup same can be said of Schremp, I know a lot of people love this guy, BUT his attitude has made him drop out of most people's top 10, while others have him going as high as 2nd or 3rd, but it all depends on the team and their needs.

Who does his game compare to? I've heard Schremp can sure dangle maybe a Datsyuk? He seems to have nice finishing ability maybe Sakic? Knocks on his attitude shouldnt be much concern, he's 17 and maturing. Kind of like Savard. Ive also heard about a lack of drive and motivation to pay for a goal, also that he doesnt like being hit.

Comments?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Carbonneau said:
I think Barker, with the injury to Malkin and all this talk about Oleckin's(sp.) attitude, is the safest bet in the draft right now.
Did you mean Schremp? Or Ovechkin? Because there's no talk about Ovechkin's attitude in any real hockey circles.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Barker reminds me most of a slower skating Eric Brewer. Brewer was nearly point a gaming his last year for Prince George, but got injured I think.

I'm not sold on Barker as being a #1 defenseman down the road, but he looks to be the best defenseman in the draft at any rate.

DR. Holiday

Mizral said:
Barker reminds me most of a slower skating Eric Brewer. Brewer was nearly point a gaming his last year for Prince George, but got injured I think.

I'm not sold on Barker as being a #1 defenseman down the road, but he looks to be the best defenseman in the draft at any rate.
Yes but you think steve shields is better than luongo at this point so does it matter what you think of barker?

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
HabLover said:

Coburn with better skating, offense and a little less physical. Style of play is similar.

DR. Holiday

Vincent_TheGreat said:
Coburn with better skating, offense and a little less physical. Style of play is similar.
except coburn is a better skater.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Mizral said:

Yeah, Brewer had a few injuries his last year in PG, but he also went to the World Juniors and missed some games then. Brewer was averaging a point per game his last year in PG, but he was also 18 yrs old, Barker is only 17 this season. Brewer only had 5 goals at 17 and 5 goals through half a season at 18. Barker already has 19 goals this year and could net 25 by years end.

The skating comparison aside, which could be argued, Brewer never had the offensive abilities Barker is showing at 17 yrs old. Brewer could handle the puck back then and could go coast to coast, but never had the finish. Barker is showing some finish and a whole lot more.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Flames Draft Watcher said:

While I agree that he isnt a sure bet, it actually would mean that only teams drafting 1-3 would have to have him in thier top 3 using that criteria in order for him to be a sure bet.
And if a team traded up in the top 3 to get him, well that is also an indication that he is obviously in thier top 3.
Having said all that, I do not think that he is a sure bet (top 3 in the three top drafting teams) to go in the top 3. I think Olezs is either equal, or a bit ahead of him.
I think Ovechkin/Malkin are the top 2 concensus (not sure bet). I am torn between Barker and Malkin for my Pens though.
If we lose out in the lottery (and you cant blame us Pens fans for having a pessimistic view on it, the way our luck has been this season) the smart choice would be to take the game breaking forward that we need...especially considering the high end depth we have in our system for defense.
However, something in me just can't shake the feeling that in Barker we are passing up on a true #1 dominant all around defenseman. Something every team covets, and few teams own.
With a potential franchise netminder in our system...and Solid prospects in Whitney and Welch, the addition of Barker could make the Pens a dominant defense in the league (doesn't that sound funny) for many years to come.
And as we all know, defense wins championships. The more I think about it, the more I am wanting to trade down with someone, aquire another useful asset for someone who really wants Malkin or Olesz, and draft Barker....though as I said, it probably isnt the smartest thing to do.

Thoughts from non Pens fans on this?

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Jacobv2 said:
I don't consider this message board a real hockey circle.

Agreed Jacob....and as I stated in that thread, Ovechkin has been on the radar for so long that people are really reaching when it comes to finding his weaknesses. It happened with Spezza in his draft year, J-bo and many others who have been a hot commodity.
Just wait until next year at this time. Crosby may be seen still as the saviour that he is now, but there will be alot more downplaying of his game as the draft approaches. It happens every year, and Ovechkin/Crosby are no exceptions.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Coburn is a fantastic skater and better than Cam Barker. Coburn was just voted the best prospect in the Western Conference in a landslide in the Best of the West Survey (survey was last week) and placed 4th in the Best Skater category too. The survey was filled out by WHL coaches and management.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
stardog said:
While I agree that he isnt a sure bet, it actually would mean that only teams drafting 1-3 would have to have him in thier top 3 using that criteria in order for him to be a sure bet.
And if a team traded up in the top 3 to get him, well that is also an indication that he is obviously in thier top 3.
Having said all that, I do not think that he is a sure bet (top 3 in the three top drafting teams) to go in the top 3. I think Olezs is either equal, or a bit ahead of him.
I think Ovechkin/Malkin are the top 2 concensus (not sure bet). I am torn between Barker and Malkin for my Pens though.
If we lose out in the lottery (and you cant blame us Pens fans for having a pessimistic view on it, the way our luck has been this season) the smart choice would be to take the game breaking forward that we need...especially considering the high end depth we have in our system for defense.
However, something in me just can't shake the feeling that in Barker we are passing up on a true #1 dominant all around defenseman. Something every team covets, and few teams own.
With a potential franchise netminder in our system...and Solid prospects in Whitney and Welch, the addition of Barker could make the Pens a dominant defense in the league (doesn't that sound funny) for many years to come.
And as we all know, defense wins championships. The more I think about it, the more I am wanting to trade down with someone, aquire another useful asset for someone who really wants Malkin or Olesz, and draft Barker....though as I said, it probably isnt the smartest thing to do.

Thoughts from non Pens fans on this?

Well written post. I'm not a Pens fans but since they have fallen on hard times I find myself hoping they can turn it around in a couple of years. Other than Malkin/Ovechin it seems that the next 4-5 players are good ones so I can see trading down a few slots and pick up some picks/players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->