Confirmed with Link: Cam Atkinson traded to PHI for Jake Voracek

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
-Are there examples you can provide of the veterans who built this team actually doing that? Who got weeded out? I'm not challenging you, I want to remember. I will say, though, even if that were so, is that in your opinion comparable to Cam Atkinson taking on that role on his own, and is Cam Atkinson and Cam Atkinson's Blue Jackets comparable to the Boston Bruins?

Maybe Johansen?

McElligott told the story once about players openly complaining that Johansen wasn't getting disciplined for taking shifts off.

Now that you ask, I don't know which of the players were complaining about Laine. I jumped into the conversation after others seemingly came the conclusion that it was Cam (and possibly others?) but I don't know where that info came from.

No we never had a room like the Bruins, but I think it's always worth trying. I want this to be a team with a great room where they hold each other accountable and the team is always better than the sum of their parts.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Sorry Vesele, I don't completely follow, but generally if there was an agreement about Jake with Seattle, I'd also expect drafts/prospects. But Ron Francis seems to be doing a poor job so it's hard to say in this instance. But bottom line, at least on the mains, the trade request came from Voracek, not Philly "wanting" to trade him.

And if when you say "it's very important what the team thinks about it" in regard to Laine on the Jackets, well I don't know. Who is the team, at this point? I think that's a dangerous road, for one thing. But in this instance, if it's JUST Cam who doesn't like Laine, well to me that's a problem. Regardless of how I feel about either of them. Cam is not a superstar. He's not really even a star the past two seasons. So if (IF!) he's coming out being kinda toxic towards another rostered player, well he hasn't earned that right, in my opinion- as much as I support him in general.
Maybe, but it's soon to say about Francis' work.

What's happen a team... Jarmo can't trade all players and again a locker room is important. Although Cam's trade can mean he didn't have so serious position.
We'll see what's happen. Although probably Cam didn't say anything and our minds about it aren't right. Simply we see what isn't. We need a powerful playmaker like Voracek but a place for young guys too. And Cam is a sniper with excelent speed, acceleration but average hockey IQ. We can have better TOP6 wingers but Cam can't play in the third line.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think Jarmo would trade a player because that player approached him as part of the leadership group and requested another player get moved.

That shouldn't, and probably didn't, even enter into the equation.

Cam got moved because he is money and what Philly was looking for without subtracting futures.

As for the loyalty thing - yeah it is sentimentally bittersweet. But we also saw how little effect Cam had on guys like Panarin when he would make the plea to stay. If he couldn't convince them to stay, I'm not sure that moving him would convince them to leave.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and LJ7201

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Maybe Johansen?

McElligott told the story once about players openly complaining that Johansen wasn't getting disciplined for taking shifts off.

Now that you ask, I don't know which of the players were complaining about Laine. I jumped into the conversation after others seemingly came the conclusion that it was Cam (and possibly others?) but I don't know where that info came from.

No we never had a room like the Bruins, but I think it's always worth trying. I want this to be a team with a great room where they hold each other accountable and the team is always better than the sum of their parts.

One thing about Johansen, was that we traded him for a fantastic player. So I'm not sure I'm ready to say he was "weeded out". We needed a guy like Seth and it was a great trade. We won it.

I posited that it may have been Cam, based on conclusions that others had come to. The idea that Cam was ragging on Laine to Portzline was out there. And since the board hadn't picked it up, I thought it was worth examining. Losing Cam has been emotional and people have expressed emotional responses, for better or worse. I like Cam a lot myself, but I also like this trade.

I don't disagree about the Bruins and wanting to emulate them. But at this moment in time, coming off a season of missing the playoffs, I'm not sure that, if the room is averse to Laine, the room is correct. The room hasn't earned that entitlement- especially if the room is just Cam Atkinson.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Maybe Johansen?

But in this case Johansen was traded. What's happen Laine, Torts and Larsen confirmed he isn't lazy, it's a myth.

Reactions: Easternbull

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Maybe, but it's soon to say about Francis' work.

Although probably Cam didn't say anything and our minds about it aren't right. Simply we see what isn't. .

True to both, but the consensus is that some player or players on the team don't care for Laine, if Portzline is accurate. And that's a problem, no doubt about it, since he's on the team, and is this team in a position to be so picky? I'd hope our players would try to welcome him into the fold.

Maybe Portzline is wrong. or being sensational. Wouldn't be the first time.

Reactions: Fro

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
True to both, but the consensus is that some player or players on the team don't care for Laine, if Portzline is accurate. And that's a problem, no doubt about it, since he's on the team, and is this team in a position to be so picky? I'd hope our players would try to welcome him into the fold.

Maybe Portzline is wrong. or being sensational. Wouldn't be the first time.
Seth Jones said Laine said very little in the l. room and he was enough alone I mean that he was without family here. But if players don't want you why you would stay in the team. And Laine wants. I hope all is O.K. and we need another player, Cam can't help us.
Because I think Cam is a very good man.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I don't think Jarmo would trade a player because that player approached him as part of the leadership group and requested another player get moved.

I don't know, Crede. That would be a significant request if it were to be made, especially when it comes to a 2nd OA that we received in a very high-profile trade for our 3rd OA. What's more, from the sounds of it, it wasn't just something communicated to the GM, but something that was being shared with Portzline. That has some gravity to it, because it made it public. That's a challenge to Jarmo and in the neighborhood of insubordination- something star players are entitled to, but not Cam Atkinson.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know, Crede. That would be a significant request if it were to be made, especially when it comes to a 2nd OA that we received in a very high-profile trade for our 3rd OA. What's more, from the sounds of it, it wasn't just something communicated to the GM, but something that was being shared with Portzline. That has some gravity to it, because it made it public. That's a challenge to Jarmo and in the neighborhood of insubordination- something star players are entitled to, but not Cam Atkinson.
If it's right (I always hope that not), why Porty wrote it? Or some players/ Cam (again if it's right) wanted so that people know it?

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Seth Jones said Laine said very little in the l. room and he was enough alone I mean that he was without family here. But if players don't want you why you would stay in the team.

To whole thing, to me, it paints a picture of a super challenging situation for a young man taken second overall who's burdened with a lot to prove. To the bolded, there's no other choice.

Because I think Cam is a very good man.

I like Cam a lot but if he's ragging on a 23 year old kid to the media, recently traded, who's new to the city and new to the team and impacting that kid's ability to earn a living, I start to think Cam's being a bit of a bully.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
To whole thing, to me, it paints a picture of a super challenging situation for a young man taken second overall who's burdened with a lot to prove. To the bolded, there's no other choice.

I like Cam a lot but if he's ragging on a 23 year old kid to the media, recently traded, who's new to the city and new to the team and impacting that kid's ability to earn a living, I start to think Cam's being a bit of a bully.
After the season too? He said it for Finnish media too and after the season he stayed in Columbus to half June, was on Larsen's press konferencie.

Do we really know what's happen? IMHO maybe he said something but a reason why Cam was traded is for change CBJ play, why we need a powerful playmaker like Jake. And Cam with his speed, style of play will be ideal for Philly. I wish him all the best. :nod:

Btw if according Instagram players are sad he is gone.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I'll never forget the lockout of 2013, mostly because it was my senior year in high school and all of that emotion, but for what was coming for my favorite hockey team. The Springfield Falcons were loaded during that lockout, Calvert, Johansen, Tim Erixon, John Moore, and this new coming small goal scorer Cam Atkinson. They were wrecking the AHL during that down period, and IIRC Cam did have a cup of coffee in the NHL the previous year. anyway, Cam and this new young core signaled a future of hope, finally the Jackets would be able to make it back to the playoffs and actually win a game. Little Cam was a big reason why the team turned around from the laughing stock it was, to being a viable NHL franchise. He wasn't the most talented kid out there, but he had massive heart and pretty good skills. A perfect underdog for our underdog city and team. He embraced us and we embraced him. He has broke down over the last few years due to age and injuries but I wish him nothing but the best in Philly. A true blue jacket. Honestly, he's probably the 3rd best Blue Jacket of all time, behind only Bobrovsky and Nash.

Good luck Camsanity. Light it up.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I'm not sure Philly did want to trade Voracek. I know they left him exposed, but I understood there to be an agreement that Seattle wouldn't select him. That might just be rumor, I don't know; but I feel like the latest was that he himself requested a trade away from Philly.

I think it's definitely plausible that Jarmo wanted to trade Cam because Cam was critical of Laine on the roster and was being vocal about it. I think Jarmo only thanking Cam for his service, in an unsentimental way, supports that.

I guess I'm curious, for those of us who are stricken by Cam being traded, if he was Portzline's source for team disunity over Laine, is that cool with you? Does Cam deserve that kind of influence?

To me, if true, no. His performance doesn't entitle him to that. And I believe Jake will do better here (and I hope Cam does well in Philly)
These quotes from Voracek make it seem like he originally didn't want to get traded but when he had a feeling he would, he just accepted reality and agreed to get traded.

Ten years is a long time (with Philadelphia). The Flyers decided to go this way. I kind of had a feeling that if something was going to pop up for them, then I was going to be traded. I was open to it. It’s a business. I know how it works.
“There’s no hard feelings. I have a lot of friends and memories from Philly. It’s bittersweet from that perspective. But I’m excited about this. Good for me that I know a lot of people in Columbus still.”

Also 1 thing I'm excited about Voracek is apparently he expects players to give it 100% and will be vocal if he thinks you're not playing up to their potential. Hopefully he can get Laine going again. Then again, hopefully Laine doesn't get butthurt if Voracek is calling him out in the locker room.

Reactions: db2011

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

I'll never forget the lockout of 2013, mostly because it was my senior year in high school and all of that emotion, but for what was coming for my favorite hockey team. The Springfield Falcons were loaded during that lockout, Calvert, Johansen, Tim Erixon, John Moore, and this new coming small goal scorer Cam Atkinson. They were wrecking the AHL during that down period, and IIRC Cam did have a cup of coffee in the NHL the previous year. anyway, Cam and this new young core signaled a future of hope, finally the Jackets would be able to make it back to the playoffs and actually win a game. Little Cam was a big reason why the team turned around from the laughing stock it was, to being a viable NHL franchise. He wasn't the most talented kid out there, but he had massive heart and pretty good skills. A perfect underdog for our underdog city and team. He embraced us and we embraced him. He has broke down over the last few years due to age and injuries but I wish him nothing but the best in Philly. A true blue jacket. Honestly, he's probably the 3rd best Blue Jacket of all time, behind only Bobrovsky and Nash.

Good luck Camsanity. Light it up.

Agreed, light it up. So many good goals in that 18-19 season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also 1 thing I'm excited about Voracek is apparently he expects players to give it 100% and will be vocal if he thinks you're not playing up to their potential.

That's the best thing I've heard all day.

You always need veterans like that to keep a high standard.

Reactions: GoJackets1

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Surely helps with our organization reputation. The only guy that is actually loyal gets traded when there’s really no point of doing so

f***ing dumb trade

If you keep reading - Cam was actually very unhappy with the direction of the team and prefers to move on to Philly.

Meanwhile Jake is very excited to be joining the Jackets. Good trade as far as having players that want to be here.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If I understand about 1/2 the people on this forum correctly, they value loyalty to the city more than winning hockey games.

Jarmo preached loyalty 2 years ago when Bob and Panarin left and it got us a lottery pick this year. When you don't win hockey games people get traded. It's the nature of this business.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I think this trade is a win for Columbus. Voracek can still put up points and he reminds me of another big and sometimes grumpy LW that fed Patrik for a ton of goals in the Jets.

Wheeler HAS declined and can't drive a line anymore and cant beat defenders and will not drive the blue paint.

Jakub can still dish them as good as any one from the half wall on the PP but can he still skate and drive play?

Anyway I think he will be a great fit and will either convince Patrik to sign long term or raise his trade value for a longer rebuild.

Considering the players available in the next draft why are sooo many fans conscerned with making the playoffs?

Best wishes to Cam and hopefully the flyers can go on a long run next season.

Buckcub

Jul 22, 2009
C-Bus
Funny that Johansen came up. I was wondering what kind of draft pick would get us to take him from NSH, and what a Laine-Joey-Jake line looks like.

Cam succeeded here. He's a media savvy guy. Has everyone forgotten how ineffective he was for the last 4 months of the season? I'm not saying he's washed, but it wasn't working. Wish him all the best in the world, but we got a top line player for him and that's amazing.

Edit: Nvm on Joey. 4/$8mil? Knew Nsh was trying to dump him. Didn't know it was that bad. It'd prolly take a first and a prospect

Reactions: Fro

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Funny that Johansen came up. I was wondering what kind of draft pick would get us to take him from NSH, and what a Laine-Joey-Jake line looks like.

Cam succeeded here. He's a media savvy guy. Has everyone forgotten how ineffective he was for the last 4 months of the season? I'm not saying he's washed, but it wasn't working. Wish him all the best in the world, but we got a top line player for him and that's amazing.

Edit: Nvm on Joey. 4/$8mil? Knew Nsh was trying to dump him. Didn't know it was that bad. It'd prolly take a first and a prospect
In the current market they might give a pick or 2 for someone to take him.

Reactions: Buckcub and EspenK

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wait, so you also think Laine is sunk cost fallacy? You've also given up on him?
No, I haven't. I'm very interested in seeing him alongside Jake and seeing how that works out. Insisting that JK must find some way to make Laine awesome because of what we gave up would be the sunk cost fallacy in action. The trade's already been done. It's completely independent of what we do with Laine now.

It is not unreasonable to attempt to trade Laine right now instead. My personal opinion just happens to be that I think we're better off keeping him given the sorts of offers I suspect we'll get AND given what Laine can do. Reasonable people can disagree on that.

* * *​
If I understand about 1/2 the people on this forum correctly, they value loyalty to the city more than winning hockey games.
Or we value both, and hate it when one is sacrificed for the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad