Proposal: Cam Atkinson to the Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShooterMcGomez

Sep 9, 2015
New Jersey
He's a local guy (Riverside CT). Right age, right shot, right wing. Probably would enjoy competing for the #1 RW spot with Palmieri.

What would it take to bring him here? Does his price tag fall with the acquisition of Saad?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He's a local guy (Riverside CT). Right age, right shot, right wing. Probably would enjoy competing for the #1 RW spot with Palmieri.

What would it take to bring him here? Does his price tag fall with the acquisition of Saad?

one of Merrill or Gelinas and a 3rd rounder or so, probably

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Went down this already with Columbus fans.

They are competing so it makes no sense to trade Atkinson for futures. They need RHD not LHD so Merrill and Gelinas are useless to them. We aren't going to trade Larsson or Severson for him so the points moot.

Right now, no deal would make sense, maybe things change as the season goes on.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
people make a bigger deal about handedness on this site than in any other hockey discussions I've ever seen.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
people make a bigger deal about handedness on this site than in any other hockey discussions I've ever seen.

Well when a guy like Merrill has done absolutely terrible on the right side, I think it's a pretty big deal.

I view the LHD and RHD as like a type of player. If you have so many skilled players, you're not gonna add another skilled guy instead you'll look for a more physical player to balance it out. You're certainly not going to waste assets trading for another skilled guy cause it's not needed. Same thing with the handedness of defenders. Columbus has guys on the left side way better than what we would give up in Werenski and Murray. They also have Jack Johnson as well. If they are trading away assets, they would do it to address an area of need on the right side.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It was a pretty big deal in this organization for three and a half years for better and worse and it's not like Pete/Oates were the only ones in the NHL that have a preference for being on the 'correct' side. Of course the problem I have with that is it shouldn't blanket apply to everyone - Gelinas specifically was much better on the right side later in the season than he was in his natural spot.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It's a bigger factor for defenders. Not all lefties can play the right side. The first half of the 2010-11 season would be exhibit A. Hockey Canada made it a priority to have lefty-righty pairings and I like to think they know what they're doing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
On second thought we should probably keep specific non-Devil player discussion in the Around The League thread, the Speculation threads are generally more for the other boards, like the main boards and trade forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad