Confirmed with Link: Calvin Pickard, McBackup, Placed on Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Really didn't think we'd lose both of them. That's tough when talking goalies. Never know when someone can re-emerge on waivers though. Perhaps Dubas knew what he was doing with retaining Sparks.

The thing with waivers is if you claim you need to rewaive.

Sooo

Next stop is likely to be Joseph woll and Ian Scott. We got lucky with pickard

Reactions: Buds17

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wheres the asset management on losing two goalies on the waiver wire?

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
It's a big risk if we see an injury. Or if sparks sh1ts the bed, or both. That being said, a calculated risk and hopefully one we won't regret.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I’m hard-pressed how anyone could possibly spin this as a good thing.

Our depth is gone just like that. I think Sparks would have been claimed as well, so now it's a matter of waiting and seeing if Dubas made the right judgement call on this one.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I know everyone is pissy about it and I am not real high on Sparks but it is probably the best case scenario. Two of the goalies were gonna go, might a swell lose a guy they were only gonna have for a year over a guy that they could have for 5 more. It may not work out but it is the gambles you have to take.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
All of the good will earned from the Tavares signing will be tossed out the fricken window on a position that would cost **** all to acquire. Its mind boggling to see mr. analytics tossing reason out the window for loyalty.
Is he tossing analytics out here though? I know Mac is old and likely feels he has more to offer and I think should be given the chance to continue his job.Also, the shooters in the AHL are 'no comparison' to the NHL shooters. So ,perhaps going with Sparks could be about trying to raise his value,get him some real experience. I truly can't figure it out. A true gamble by Dubas,given that a back-up goalie is of much importance when trying to win a cup.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Now let's take a look at the same winners who are 25 and under shall we:

YEARNAMEAGETEAM
2003-04Jason Labarbera24Hartford Wolf Pack
2004-05Ryan Miller25Rochester Americans
2008-09Cory Schneider23Manitoba Moose
2009-10Jonathan Bernier22Manchester Monarchs
2010-11Brad Thiessen25Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
2012-13Niklas Svedberg25Providence Bruins
2013-14Jake Allen24Chicago Wolves
2014-15Matt Murray21Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
2017-18Garret Sparks25Toronto Marlies
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Seems like Garret Sparks should be at least a capable NHL backup with the potential of being elite.

This is based solely on his AHL numbers or have you watched his actual play in net? To be elite you have to be able to stop a puck without falling over due to being completely uncoordinated. Most AHLers can’t pick corners and will shoot it into the pads or the crest, while NHLers will just expose him for the terrible goalie he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->