OT - NO POLITICS Calm down & step back - (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Had to take the Bride to eye doctor in Worcester yesterday. I thought they had a good protocol. You call from parking lot and let them know you have arrived. You must be masked orthey will bring one out to you.
Told to wait 10 minutes in car while they prep a chair with disinfectant.
Enter the building and purell dispensed at bottom and top of stairs and elevator.
Spacing marked on floor. Thermal temperatures taken. Then you go to chair they have prepped for you.
Everyone in officeand exam rooms gloved, madked and wiping everything.

So how do I know this if I have to stay inthe car?
Well, I had to pee. So, I had to go through all the above to get inside to a restroom.

:D
See that’s my worst fear. That I’ll go somewhere and have to pee.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
BOOM! 2 for 2 on the day.

The 8 brings it home @ 4-1 to sweeten the pot.

$30 (we ran multiple combinations) ticket paid $148.
Rolling with another $0.50 Pick 5 to play the Belmont and close out the day:

Race 8: 1
Race 9: 2,3,4 or 5
Race 10 (Belmont): 8
Race 11: 1,2,5,7 or 9
Race 12: 2,7 or 8

If this hits, it’ll be insane. We usually never play Pick 5s...

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Picks for the Belmont $0.10 Superfecta

$14 bet with
1st: 8
2nd: 1,2,5,9,10
3rd: 1,2,5,9,10
4th: All

Both of our remaining bets hinge on 8 winning. If the 8 hits it’s gonna get real interesting.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Picks for the Belmont $0.10 Superfecta

$14 bet with
1st: 8
2nd: 1,2,5,9,10
3rd: 1,2,5,9,10
4th: All

Both of our remaining bets hinge on 8 winning. If the 8 hits it’s gonna get real interesting.

Almost......The 10 faded late and gave up 3rd to the 3......so close.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

3 down, 2 to go. The 2 singles hit so we are really liking our chances here.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
‘Blues Brothers’ 40th anniversary: Looking back at the ‘best movie ever made in Chicago’ and its legacy

EDITOR’S NOTE: The “Blues Brothers” was released nationwide on June 20, 1980. To mark the 40th anniversary of the movie, a watershed film for Chicago that spread the city’s soul around the world, the Sun-Times over the next five days is republishing a series of stories first printed on its 25th anniversary in 2005. The series, the newspaper said at the time “takes you back to the streets of Jake and Elwood Blues and checks out what’s happened since the Bluesmobile rolled.”

This story was first published on June 20, 2005.

‘Blues Brothers’ 40th anniversary: Looking back at the ‘best movie ever made in Chicago’ and its legacy

The filming itself was a major event for Chicago. It pumped an estimated $12 million into the local economy during the 3 1/2 months crews were in the area.

John Belushi, a Chicago native who grew up in Wheaton, was so popular at the time he could simply flag down police cars and they would take him wherever he wanted to go, recalls his widow, Judy Belushi Pisano, who is writing a book about his life, “Belushi.” John Belushi died in 1982 at 32 from a drug overdose.

Filmmakers closed the Kennedy Expy. in both directions, dropped a car from more than 1,000 feet in the air near Lake Shore Drive, raced cars along Loop streets at more than 100 mph and even took over Daley Plaza for a three-day weekend. Such stunts would be unlikely now, Moskal said. Residents, unaccustomed to seeing Hollywood live, called local newspapers aghast at the car chases they witnessed.

It seems almost comical now that initially, highbrow critics from the East and West coasts didn’t like the movie — Newsweek called it “desperately unfunny,” while the Los Angeles Times called it a “$30 million wreck.”

Chicago’s reviewers, on the other hand, figured it out right away: “What is a little startling about this movie is somehow it all works,” wrote the Sun-Times’ Roger Ebert on the day of the movie’s release, June 20, 1980. “There is even room, in the midst of the carnage and mayhem, for a surprising amount of grace, humor and whimsy.”

Late reviewer Gene Siskel took it a step further: “‘The Blues Brothers’ is the best movie ever made in Chicago.”

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Ugh. Lost it on the last race.

Ah well, still up on the day.

Reactions: Gee Wally

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

EDITOR’S NOTE: The “Blues Brothers” was released nationwide on June 20, 1980. To mark the 40th anniversary of the movie, a watershed film for Chicago that spread the city’s soul around the world, the Sun-Times over the next five days is republishing a series of stories first printed on its 25th anniversary in 2005. The series, the newspaper said at the time “takes you back to the streets of Jake and Elwood Blues and checks out what’s happened since the Bluesmobile rolled.”

This story was first published on June 20, 2005.

The filming itself was a major event for Chicago. It pumped an estimated $12 million into the local economy during the 3 1/2 months crews were in the area.

John Belushi, a Chicago native who grew up in Wheaton, was so popular at the time he could simply flag down police cars and they would take him wherever he wanted to go, recalls his widow, Judy Belushi Pisano, who is writing a book about his life, “Belushi.” John Belushi died in 1982 at 32 from a drug overdose.

Filmmakers closed the Kennedy Expy. in both directions, dropped a car from more than 1,000 feet in the air near Lake Shore Drive, raced cars along Loop streets at more than 100 mph and even took over Daley Plaza for a three-day weekend. Such stunts would be unlikely now, Moskal said. Residents, unaccustomed to seeing Hollywood live, called local newspapers aghast at the car chases they witnessed.

It seems almost comical now that initially, highbrow critics from the East and West coasts didn’t like the movie — Newsweek called it “desperately unfunny,” while the Los Angeles Times called it a “$30 million wreck.”

Chicago’s reviewers, on the other hand, figured it out right away: “What is a little startling about this movie is somehow it all works,” wrote the Sun-Times’ Roger Ebert on the day of the movie’s release, June 20, 1980. “There is even room, in the midst of the carnage and mayhem, for a surprising amount of grace, humor and whimsy.”

Late reviewer Gene Siskel took it a step further: “‘The Blues Brothers’ is the best movie ever made in Chicago.”

Best modern day music comedy. Great sense of the grit of the inner cities at the time. Love the tape on the Piano with Ray Charles before the dancing in the streets and the tens of soul music cameos spread across the film. Nailed it with James Brown as the Gospel pastor and the upstate chicken wire scene. It was big bow to soul music caught on film and you could tell they were all happy and proud to take part. Great movie and some good life lessons from real people. 10/10

Reactions: sooshii

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Best modern day music comedy. Great sense of the grit of the inner cities at the time. Love the tape on the Piano with Ray Charles before the dancing in the streets and the tens of soul music cameos spread across the film. Nailed it with James Brown as the Gospel pastor and the upstate chicken wire scene. It was big bow to soul music caught on film and you could tell they were all happy and proud to take part. Great movie and some good life lessons from real people. 10/10

The police cars used in the chase scene were real - They were cars that were about to be retired so the producers made a deal with the city.

and the mall was real as well

Reactions: bb74 and Absurdity

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
We had my father in law over for a late lunch today. Simple - grilled some burgers and chicken and made a grilled veggie pasta salad and a watermelon and fresh mozzarella salad (my new summer obsession)

I offered to grill so my husband could visit with his dad instead of having to be outside which he took me up on. My father in law is the sweetest man but he was still all “you’re going to make your wife grill”?! And then my husband said she offered and is more than capable.

He’s now doing the dishes while I relax on the couch.

it’s pretty awesome to see gender norms start to fade.

Reactions: Alicat and LSCII

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:):):):):)

105482665_10221297233913076_4552010244711877245_n.jpg

105705387_10221297230192983_5040788251925835444_o.jpg

Reactions: rfournier103

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Well mission accomplished.

If I ever did anything right it was surprising mom here at the Cape.
My sisters couldn’t believe it when I knocked on their room door.
Mom broke down. All good. Had supper delivered and just got her to bed.
Tomorrow we will get her down to the sand and water edge.
Tuesday if she’s up to it she wants to see PTown own more time. The old penny candy store, Portuguese bakery and Herring Cove beach. Places she and dad took us 50 years ago.

View from my room.

3A0E1CF5-E0D3-4F9A-902D-51A02D86ADAA.jpeg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well mission accomplished.

If I ever did anything right it was surprising mom here at the Cape.
My sisters couldn’t believe it when I knocked on their room door.
Mom broke down. All good. Had supper delivered and just got her to bed.
Tomorrow we will get her down to the sand and water edge.
Tuesday if she’s up to it she wants to see PTown own more time. The old penny candy store, Portuguese bakery and Herring Cove beach. Places she and dad took us 50 years ago.

View from my room.

View attachment 350974

Herring cove beach is lovely.

this is amazing stuff. Glad you could treat her to such a great weekend.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Herring cove beach is lovely.

this is amazing stuff. Glad you could treat her to such a great weekend.
This would have been a monster tourism weekend for the Cape

90 degrees in mid June would have set that place up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad