OT - NO POLITICS Calm down & step back - (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have to drive to NY tomorrow but the drive just got much better

upload_2020-6-19_0-0-40.png

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
12 hours and counting of this year's Royal Ascot meeting....no Lilibet but I like the English style of racing...

I lived in the UK for a little while and found myself working at York Racecourse at one point for a few months. Their racecourses are always beautifully turned out and the quality of the racing is generally high.

The highlight of my time there was seeing Frankel race and win the Juddmonte International in 2012. Frankel won every race he ever entered, including 10 Group 1s, and was trained by the late, great Sir Henry Cecil. That was a special horse, up there with the very best ever, and it was so obviously a class above its opposition and just looked like the perfect thoroughbred.

He loved all the attention and adulation too and clearly knew how good he was. After the comprehensive Juddmonte win he was paraded back down the straight and just lapped all the cheering up with an air of supreme confidence. Superlatives are used too readily in sport these days, but here you knew you were in the presence of true greatness.

_62423943_rankel.jpg

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
@sooshii This is for you

WPVI is the best local newscast in the US

Thanks Fenway. Westy & I are looking forward to watching this!

I think their beloved late weatherman Jim O'Brien is featured. He died in a sport parachuting accident in 1983. Westy was a jumper back in the day and we were at the DZ that day. Very sad.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Hydroxychloroquine: US stockpile stuck with 63 million doses of the drug - CNN

Many public health experts point to all of this as an unfortunate chapter in the history of the pandemic thus far.

"Nationally, we put a great emphasis on one drug, hydroxychloroquine," said David Holtgrave, the dean of the School of Public Health at the University at Albany, who co-authored a study of the drug as a treatment for coronavirus. "I worry that history will judge this as having over-invested in one treatment pathway as opposed to looking more broadly at a larger number of treatment candidates."

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hydroxychloroquine: US stockpile stuck with 63 million doses of the drug - CNN

Many public health experts point to all of this as an unfortunate chapter in the history of the pandemic thus far.

"Nationally, we put a great emphasis on one drug, hydroxychloroquine," said David Holtgrave, the dean of the School of Public Health at the University at Albany, who co-authored a study of the drug as a treatment for coronavirus. "I worry that history will judge this as having over-invested in one treatment pathway as opposed to looking more broadly at a larger number of treatment candidates."

Yeah, it's great that heading into this pandemic that America had zero stockpile of PPE's and medical supplies if one should happen. Now though, we have a shit ton of surplus of a drug that doesn't help with this at all. You can't make shit like this up if you wanted to, it's that f***ing dumb. lol

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
bunch of phillies players and staff tested positive. that's going to be an interesting portion
of the NHL return, how they handle something like that.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Got my Ancestry results back and it confirmed what I already knew: predominantly Irish, English and French Canadian. I did manage to pull some Basque and Nigerian but that is easily explained due to colonialism.

The cool part was it was able to identify the region in Quebec my ancestors settled in when they came from France. It looks like Victoriaville is the common point.

Im looking forward to digging in to see the family trees that I matched with as it looks like I have cousins that still live in that area.

I highly recommend it for anyone who is curious about where they’re from.
All set. Don’t need more info on me out there. People too easily give out their info. These websites are just info sites. Glad it worked for you. I would never trust this.

Reactions: Dreghorn2 and LSCII

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
All set. Don’t need more info on me out there. People too easily give out their info. These websites are just info sites. Glad it worked for you. I would never trust this.
Which island your ancestors came from?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I do have to say, it's been pretty funny watching the DNA sequencing sites like 23 and me sharing their DNA samples with police and other authorities, resulting in quite a few murders to be caught. Wasn't the the Golden State Killer nabbed this way? lol

But yeah, I have no interest in sharing my genetics with any services like that either.

Reactions: sooshii

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I do have to say, it's been pretty funny watching the DNA sequencing sites like 23 and me sharing their DNA samples with police and other authorities, resulting in quite a few murders to be caught. Wasn't the the Golden State Killer nabbed this way? lol

But yeah, I have no interest in sharing my genetics with any services like that either.

Same here. I shudder to think what health insurance companies will do with this information, and you basically sign your privacy rights away when you send it out to those "ancestry services".

Reactions: Dreghorn2 and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Same here. I shudder to think what health insurance companies will do with this information, and you basically sign your privacy rights away when you send it out to those "ancestry services".

We had to do some dna sequencing for my daughter a few years ago, including having mine and my wife's done. They asked us if we wanted to share the results with our insurance provider or if we wanted to keep it anonymous. I asked them what the insurance company wanted it for and how they'd use it. Needless to say, the answers we got were not very good so we declined. Still makes me laugh any time someone voluntarily gives it away without realizing the potential ramifications.

Oh, sorry, you're genetically predisposed to a condition, so we won't be covering that for you sir. lol

Reactions: Dreghorn2

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And now Blue Jays players as well.
I’m not feeling optimistic.

While I want sports to come back just as much as anyone here, I have real questions around how this is going to be considered safe. To me it's not, and they're playing with fire. It's only a matter of time before something big happens that impacts a league in a very negative way, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->