Calling games from ice level

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was just watching highlights from last night's Red Wings game and was surprised to see the Wings' play-by-play announcer (Ken Daniels?) calling the game from between the benches. I've been watching hockey a long time and can't recall ever seeing or even hearing of this before. Of course, it's become quite common for color commentators be stationed there, but how does one possibly call play by play from there? I would think that it'd be hard to read players' numbers and see around players. Daniels gets my respect for even trying this, much more if it's a common thing for him.

iEPmmIT.jpg

(fast forward to 6:16)

Is this as odd as it seems to me or less uncommon than I realize? Is every Red Wings broadcast from this new arena done in this manner?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think they did it for the winter classic this year? Or maybe that was the USA Canada wjc outdoor game.

In any case I imagine that would be tough.

Christien

May 1, 2010
No, last night was the first time I’ve seen Ken do that in a long time. However, I’m pretty sure a long time ago he did it too atleast for one game, but I’m too young to remember.

He did a great job last night. I wouldn’t mind him doing it again.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I wouldn't say it's common at all, the camera IS almost always focusing there a half a dozen times a game, it's just usually the colour guy, not the play by play guy that's there.

Ah, you are probably right. Misunderstood it. Sometimes I think I’ve seen two guys there, though.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I think one guy might be a "tech" guy or the camera guy. I've noticed a few people in there as well at times.

Personally I think I recognize a lot of players by posture. Which line is on ice plays a role. I often mix same two players (Laine and Wheeler for jets), even though a lot of time their posture is nothing alike.

How often do you really have a clean view of numbers.

For commentating after the fact there are replays. Still impressive, though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Ah, you are probably right. Misunderstood it. Sometimes I think I’ve seen two guys there, though.
I think one guy might be a "tech" guy or the camera guy. I've noticed a few people in there as well at times.

There are, sometimes, color commentators for two different networks in there, especially when the playoffs come around. For example, Pierre McGuire will be doing color for NBC and, next to him, Ray Ferraro will be doing color for TSN. I think that that's probably what you're both thinking of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad