Value of: Calle Jarnkrok

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It's easy for me to say yes because it's not my money and I think we are rebuilding, but that's a decent swing on cash for the owners. I don't know what they'd expect back. Isn't Compher a more expensive Jarnkrok that doesn't really bring that much more besides being younger?
Fair enough. Yeah Compher is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none just like Jarnkrok. Fair point on the owner considerations.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's easy for me to say yes because it's not my money and I think we are rebuilding, but that's a decent swing on cash for the owners. I don't know what they'd expect back. Isn't Compher a more expensive Jarnkrok that doesn't really bring that much more besides being younger?
Yeah, I think you can just add up the money and determine our team isn't going to spend that. Say we still owe 60% on this year's salaries:
Rinne $3M - we retain half so $1.5M
Jarnkrok $1.3M left this year + $2M next year, we retain half so $1.65M ttl
Compher ($1.6M left this year, $4.5M next year, $3.5M year after)
= $1.5M+$1.65M+$1.6M + $4.5M + $3.5M = $12.7M

Whereas if we don't make the deal, we are just spending $3M+$1.3M+$2M = $6.3M

I don't think the Preds are going to take on double the raw $$$ just for a 3rd round pick. We don't care about cap hits at this point, but the team is going to want to save some money after this year's loss of revenues. We aren't going to buy draft picks.

Reactions: biturbo19

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, I think you can just add up the money and determine our team isn't going to spend that. Say we still owe 60% on this year's salaries:
Rinne $3M - we retain half so $1.5M
Jarnkrok $1.3M left this year + $2M next year, we retain half so $1.65M ttl
Compher ($1.6M left this year, $4.5M next year, $3.5M year after)
= $1.5M+$1.65M+$1.6M + $4.5M + $3.5M = $12.7M

Whereas if we don't make the deal, we are just spending $3M+$1.3M+$2M = $6.3M

I don't think the Preds are going to take on double the raw $$$ just for a 3rd round pick. We don't care about cap hits at this point, but the team is going to want to save some money after this year's loss of revenues. We aren't going to buy draft picks.
There would only be 22% of their salaries left to pay this season after the deadline so your numbers are a bit off.
  • Rinne 20/21: $4m x 22% = $0.88m
  • Jarnkrok 20/21: $2.2m x 22% = $484k
  • Jarnkrok 21/22: $2.2m
That's a totla of $3.564m due to those two players. If Nashville retains 50% on both contracts they are only on the hook for $1.782m, $682k this season and $1.1m next season.
  • Compher 20/21: $2.6m x 22% = $572k
  • Compher 21/22: $4.5m
  • Compher 22/23: $3.5m
So this year Nashville would save $110k in salary ($682k - $572k).

Next season they would have $5.5m in cost, and the season after $3.5m. So they'd be adding $8.890m in salary ($5.5m + $3.5m - $110k) over 2.22 seasons. That's not all sunk cost though obviously, as they'd be getting value from Compher on their team, along with whatever the pick/prospect Colorado would add.

That said, if you want to make it less costly for Nashville just remove the retention on Jarnkrok, that's fine too. That knocks off $1.342m ($1.1m + $242k), so Nashville would have Compher for 2 years + a pick/prospect for a cost of $7.548m over 2.2 seasons (which is basically $3.43 average salary per year, which is slightly lower than his $3.5m caphit).

That might not seem like the deal of the century, but recall that the value of the pick/prospect to be added is up for debate, so feel free to suggest something you think would offset the added salary.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There would only be 22% of their salaries left to pay this season after the deadline so your numbers are a bit off.
  • Rinne 20/21: $4m x 22% = $0.88m
  • Jarnkrok 20/21: $2.2m x 22% = $484k
  • Jarnkrok 21/22: $2.2m
That's a totla of $3.564m due to those two players. If Nashville retains 50% on both contracts they are only on the hook for $1.782m, $682k this season and $1.1m next season.
  • Compher 20/21: $2.6m x 22% = $572k
  • Compher 21/22: $4.5m
  • Compher 22/23: $3.5m
So this year Nashville would save $110k in salary ($682k - $572k).

Next season they would have $5.5m in cost, and the season after $3.5m. So they'd be adding $8.890m in salary ($5.5m + $3.5m - $110k) over 2.22 seasons. That's not all sunk cost though obviously, as they'd be getting value from Compher on their team, along with whatever the pick/prospect Colorado would add.

That said, if you want to make it less costly for Nashville just remove the retention on Jarnkrok, that's fine too. That knocks off $1.342m ($1.1m + $242k), so Nashville would have Compher for 2 years + a pick/prospect for a cost of $7.548m over 2.2 seasons (which is basically $3.43 average salary per year, which is slightly lower than his $3.5m caphit).

That might not seem like the deal of the century, but recall that the value of the pick/prospect to be added is up for debate, so feel free to suggest something you think would offset the added salary.
Fair enough, I was making the trade today, not at the deadline. But either way, I just don't see them signing up for Compher's salary for next year, not when we've already got Jarnkrok at less than half that. In a normal year, recouping the $$$ might not matter so much, but I just think if we're going to be signing up to spend money, then it would have to be based on the premise of going after a player we very actively WANT, not just a Jarnkrok-equivalent replacement and a faceless draft pick. I would be surprised if the Preds would pay that cash even if you made it a 1st rounder. And that is totally off in terms of player asset values, but that's how much the $$$ may matter.

Which is to say, I think Compher and his extra term is basically a deal-breaker in this scenario. We'd choose to pay Jarnkrok and a callup less than $3M for those 2 years rather than paying Compher $8M and getting a draft pick.

I mean, unless the Preds braintrust is just in love with Compher for some reason and did actively WANT him as a player. Which I wouldn't necessarily completely discount either, given their love affair with the USNTDP. But that's the only potential saving grace here, longshot though it may be.

Meanwhile, if Rinne wanted to move somewhere to chase a Cup, I think we'd do that independently basically for nothing.

Reactions: Richard88

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I think he'd be a perfect fit in Edmonton.

Jarnkrok

For

Chiasson(cap)

I don't know what the plus would be...

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We don’t need a $4.3M vet for the 3rd line, we’d just play $2M Jarnkrok there instead.
Chiasson is a UFA and would just be sent to us for salary purposes. The actual <value> part of the trade for us was no included. It's steep, but I'd want at least a 2nd. I'm not dying to keep Jarnkrok, but I don't see a need to trade him either and he's a perfect type of player to have around for a rebuilding team. Cheap and can play up-and-down the lineup in any role.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would take a 2nd for Jarnkrok. Nothing dumped back whatsoever, unless you are at 50 contracts and it's an expiring minor league player, maybe. Otherwise there's no real incentive for us to move him. He's versatile, reliable, cheap, and signed next year.

Or MAYBE I could trade him sideways-ish for a young cheap player with some perceived upside who needs a change of scenery. Depending on the player.

Vinman88

Aug 3, 2018
Fair enough, I was making the trade today, not at the deadline. But either way, I just don't see them signing up for Compher's salary for next year, not when we've already got Jarnkrok at less than half that. In a normal year, recouping the $$$ might not matter so much, but I just think if we're going to be signing up to spend money, then it would have to be based on the premise of going after a player we very actively WANT, not just a Jarnkrok-equivalent replacement and a faceless draft pick. I would be surprised if the Preds would pay that cash even if you made it a 1st rounder. And that is totally off in terms of player asset values, but that's how much the $$$ may matter.

Which is to say, I think Compher and his extra term is basically a deal-breaker in this scenario. We'd choose to pay Jarnkrok and a callup less than $3M for those 2 years rather than paying Compher $8M and getting a draft pick.

I mean, unless the Preds braintrust is just in love with Compher for some reason and did actively WANT him as a player. Which I wouldn't necessarily completely discount either, given their love affair with the USNTDP. But that's the only potential saving grace here, longshot though it may be.

Meanwhile, if Rinne wanted to move somewhere to chase a Cup, I think we'd do that independently basically for nothing.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I would take a 2nd for Jarnkrok. Nothing dumped back whatsoever, unless you are at 50 contracts and it's an expiring minor league player, maybe. Otherwise there's no real incentive for us to move him. He's versatile, reliable, cheap, and signed next year.

Or MAYBE I could trade him sideways-ish for a young cheap player with some perceived upside who needs a change of scenery. Depending on the player.
Yeah, that's the thing with a lot of these players/proposals. Can we trade them/will we consider it? Sure. Do we need to trade them? No, not particularly (we do need to trade one of Ellis/Ekholm though). So a really good offer it's worth considering retention/salary back on, but to do that just to get the minimum return for a player we don't need to trade?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oilers definitely could use an upgrade at 3C. What do you think Pred fans, what is a reasonable offer for Jarnkrok?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Oilers definitely could use an upgrade at 3C. What do you think Pred fans, what is a reasonable offer for Jarnkrok?
A B level prospect and a 1st. You can keep your roster players not interested in taking cap as this team rebuilds.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
A 2nd rounder in 2022 would work for me. I'd rather just have a fresh pick than count on us being able to add any development boost to a B prospect.

Reactions: TFHockey

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Jarnkrok works better as a winger, he hasn't played center regularly in years. The guy you want from us is Haula, if you want to upgrade at 3C.

I'd be fine if we got a 3rd from Haula. Jarnkrok's worth more, since he has another year left on his cheap deal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
A B level prospect and a 1st. You can keep your roster players not interested in taking cap as this team rebuilds.

That is an astronomical ask for a guy who plays on the 3rd line. Not even your own fan base supports that overpayment.

Jarnkrok works better as a winger, he hasn't played center regularly in years. The guy you want from us is Haula, if you want to upgrade at 3C.

I'd be fine if we got a 3rd from Haula. Jarnkrok's worth more, since he has another year left on his cheap deal.

We could work around something for picks, but times being what they are the Oilers would need to move some money back to remain cap compliant. Guys like Chiasson who'll expire at the end of the year would be my guess.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
We could work around something for picks, but times being what they are the Oilers would need to move some money back to remain cap compliant. Guys like Chiasson who'll expire at the end of the year would be my guess.

For sure. We have space so we can take some money back. Let's say Chiasson + a 3rd for Haula?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
For Jarnkrok? No, I really doubt he could fetch a 1st.
Value is in the eye of the beholder. Remember we traded a 1st for Goose we have also traded 1st for lessor players in the past. I do not care for Jarnkrok never have but he is a useful player on a good contract. With the weak draft this year a 1st + should not be out of the question for a team that needs a good faceoff guy and a guy that can PK. The thing is if it is a team that also wants a goal scorer for the third line he is not going to be that. His 15 or 16 goal years were playing on this 2nd line this would not be the reason teams would want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad